Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 27th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Ragdoll Mom

Coughing Kitty

Hello, i am feeling very frustrasted and was just wondering if anyone has any insight...

About a month and a half ago, I noticed my female ragdoll hacking (nothing coming up), as per usual I thought hairball and administered Toniclax. I had seen her hack up a HUGE hairball a week prior to this and was noticing hair in her poop.

A few days later I noticed her doing it again but still nothing coming up. A little history, she is extremely furry, absolutely refuses to get groomed, I do my best until she is in complete hissing/biting mode. Fortunately she does not mat and has a beautiful coat. Anyway called the vet and booked appointment, she pretty much just dismissed me (side note, I am completely disappointed with my vet, looking for new one but haven't found anyone I trust yet). I called her back the next day after the appointment to get more anwers, didn't get a call back,

Missy has since continued to cough/hack without producing anything. So after a couple more coughing/hacking bouts I took her to the vet and had her shaved, hoping to give her a break and get this hair ball out. Since then the poop has no hair, she is has very little hair and yet she is still coughing at least once a week, it may be more but it is nt when I am home so I don't know. We do have an appointment at the vet on Friday for her nails but I doubt she will be any more help. I did manage to catch her her on video so that I could show this vet or the new one I hope to find. she is active, eating and seems OK. the only other thing I can think to mention that may be related is she seems to get black crusty snots on her nose and once in a while eye discharge but nothing of any concern. Also about 2 months ago I introduced a new litter (the one we were using was causing me to get asthma so I needed to find a better one) and the one that seems to have the least dust so far only comes in scented, could this be it??? Oh and if you have any litter suggestions I welcome them, please do not suggest any natural type litter as I have had an infestation of bugs from those and I will not use them again. Any ideas??? FRUSTRATED!!!!

Ps sorry for the long post, I am tired and worried.

Last edited by kahula; June 27th, 2007 at 10:05 PM. Reason: changing notification setting
Old June 27th, 2007, 10:22 PM

I was actually going to suggest getting her shaved! She's probably more confortable and being that she wont have so much hair going through her system, its healthier for her.

Anyway, I agree you definately need a new vet! When a vet dismisses your concerns and does nothing, its time to give someone else your business! Personally, I would cancel the appointment you have now and make one somewhere else. A second opinion at least, even if whoever you see doesnt become your regular vet, could help. Especially because you talked about discharge from the nose, she may have a lingering kitty cold and might do good with an antibiotic.

I doubt the litter is the problem since the coughing is coupled with the nose stuff, but I read an article once that said cats dont like scented litter because although the scent is faint for us, to their better noses its pungent. Couldnt hurt to try another. I use Tidy Cats because its fairly cheap and isnt too dusty.
Old June 27th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Senior Contributor

For starters, I would definitely try a different litter. While it's hard to say whether the one you're using is a factor, it might be a good idea to rule that out. Although I don't use it myself (my cat prefers the pellet-type litters like Yesterday's News), I've heard good things about Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Litter. Not sure where you can get it in Edmonton, but I think I've seen it at the Petsmart in Calgary before.

You might also want to check out this website on coughing in cats: http://www.felineasthma.org/moore.htm. It could be that another vet-visit is in order to narrow down the possibilities, and the fact that your regular vet wasn't concerned the first time around tells me you should see a different one for sure.

Good luck!