Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Closed Thread

Old May 31st, 2007, 06:08 PM
Senior Contributor

I never said that.
Old May 31st, 2007, 06:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Working and trying to have a life.LOL

Tron is doing great...I'll have to take some pics.My daughter has gone away for the summer so she took her digital...And mine is pooched..I'll get some though.
Old May 31st, 2007, 06:10 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

It really doesn't matter does it?
Whether the newbies are really new, or disgruntled oldies coming back to haunt the board, we will never know. (it would be pretty sad and very childish if that were the case)
We should treat every newbie as new, as it's not fair to accuse without proof.

That being said, every board gets their trolls, and we have to assume that they are sincere as well, a pets life or well being may be at stake.

like mama always said, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~

Last edited by happycats; May 31st, 2007 at 06:13 PM.
Old May 31st, 2007, 06:11 PM

Havent been around for almost a week thanks to a nasty cold/allergy/somethingthedoccouldntidentify. Dont know if I'm considered a regular yet, though. When I did log back on I noticed there were a lot of newbies, so welcome!!

Actually hadnt even seen this thread before the "so many newbies and similar posts, makes me wonder..." bug got to me lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiho View Post
My thought exaclty,when i see similar styles of writing which i have before tells me someone is playing games.But yes i welcome newbies all the same.
I got that itch too. Especially when they seem to dance around the questions you ask, even though you're asking because you wanted to help.
Old May 31st, 2007, 06:16 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissani View Post
Havent been around for almost a week thanks to a nasty cold/allergy/somethingthedoccouldntidentify. Dont know if I'm considered a regular yet, though. .
It says your a "senior contributor" I think thats regular enough!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old May 31st, 2007, 06:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah having a life is a good thing,by the way i have a slow job,so nothing else to do but come here ALOT.Not that i dont love it..I agree everyone should be given a chance,.but i have to say some are just so obvious in there lies.I usually wait for awhile to see if they stick around long enough before i start replying to certain threads.
Old May 31st, 2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats View Post
It says your a "senior contributor" I think thats regular enough!
Woah! When did that happen?? lol I didnt know those changed on their own... huh... learn something every day!
Old May 31st, 2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SableCollie View Post
And as a side note, a different board I'm on went through something very similar, and people started getting suspicious. When the mods checked the IP addresses of several of the "newbies", it turned out they were all posting from the exact same computer. Now I am certainly NOT saying that is happening here, however whenever I see an influx of people with very similar writing styles I do wonder. I try hard not to judge and to adhere to "innocent until proven guilty" and I would like to welcome everyone regardless, and I am looking forward to contributions from the new members.
I noticed the similar writing styles too. How some posts are purposely written badly and all of sudden this same member can suddenly write well. They're not consistent.

Fake IPs are easy enough to get as well. Just something to think about.
Old May 31st, 2007, 08:49 PM
Senior Contributor

The main thing i always notice is how there user name is spelled and the caps on or off,and usually there sentences are one liners,not always though.And what there user name is sometimes is a giveaway.
Old May 31st, 2007, 08:54 PM
-

Maybe we should have a CSI episode about this
Old May 31st, 2007, 09:13 PM

While there are times where new members do come into question, please keep in mind that there are different people, of different opinions and different posting styles. We would like to think that people would not sign up solely for the purpose of making Pets.ca a negative enviroment, the sad truth is there are equally sad people out there who do just that.

That being said, we firmly believe that the addage "innocent until proven guilty" is the way to go. Worse than allowing a troll to run amock, so to speak, would be to make a new member feel uncomfortable with incorrect accusations. There are those who choose to call troll more often than necessary, and we have seen on several occasions this to be inaccurate. Even to insinuate without naming names is not fair to new members.

We would ask that if you truly believe there may be an issue, please bring it to our attention. But please use discretion in the forums, if for no other reason than we would rather err on the side of the new member and be wrong, than turn away someone who can be a great contributor, or, more importantly, someone who can benefit greatly from the advice that you can offer.

We also realize that the concern that is voiced comes from the care you have for Pets.ca and your fellow members, and we do appreciate it, and thank you.

We now return you back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Your friendly neighbourhood mod,
Ford
Old June 1st, 2007, 12:02 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Trolling issues aside,

I am delighted to see many new members that have joined and I am also delighted to see a few members that have been absent for a bit.

Welcome and Welcome back!

As always, if anything concerns you please feel free to Pm me directly or PM one of the Mods.

Thanks everyone!!!

Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 1st, 2007, 03:18 PM
-

I'm still here but not as often as before because of the nice weather now. I've noticed alot of newbies lately and I feel bad that I haven't welcomed most of them. I'll try to do better.

One thing that has always bothered me a little is that the mods do not post very often at all. :sad: Why is that? I think it would help to make this a more friendlier place.
Old June 1st, 2007, 03:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm still hanging around. Work has been hard lately, I'm tired in the evenings so I've been napping alot. The sudden influx of newbies is curious though. It would be interesting to know how people find out about pets.ca. I think I might do a poll thread.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old June 1st, 2007, 04:38 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post

One thing that has always bothered me a little is that the mods do not post very often at all. :sad: Why is that? I think it would help to make this a more friendlier place.
The mods do post, this is something that also bothered me, I asked about it and was told that they have "secret identities" for example... ( erykah1310 can also be Mod1) that to me is deceiptful but whatever, I am just going to directly pm marko about any concern I have, especially if its regarding a member...
wouldnt that blow if you pm'd a mod to bring attention to one of their own posts???
Too many secrets.
Old June 1st, 2007, 04:42 PM

No way! I never knew that. Interesting and I was wondering why they rarely post except mostly to close threads or warn about closing them. I guess I just figured they were too busy moderating to post about things.
Old June 1st, 2007, 04:43 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

IM sure you can trust them, I assume the mods are also the very regular of regulars here. However, call me paraniod... it just feels "wrong"

Apparently everyone was supposed to have known that the mods were also members. I guess a few of us didnt.
Old June 1st, 2007, 04:46 PM

I trust them, but just didn't know. I fully admit not having read all the stickys and whatnot, though. I think it's great this board is here and that they put in an effort to maintain it.
Old June 1st, 2007, 04:48 PM

Maybe someday we could have a 'Mod come out of the closet day', lol...
Old June 1st, 2007, 04:50 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmurlock View Post
I had no idea...that just seems strange to me....then who decides if their threads get locked or closed????
I'm guessing they have big mod meetings somewhere and discuss this stuff, I have no idea, im not a mod
So there's one you can cross of the list of "possible mods"
Its sorta easy to tell who is and who isnt a mod though, if you're really bored, ( which I at times am) you can look into the controversial posts and see who didnt reply, even if its something that you know they would be fuming about.
Old June 1st, 2007, 05:04 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

lol, basically if there was a back yard breeding thread going,( sorry, dont read into this) and I didnt post but was online, then the thread got closed by "Mod1" .... you can bet your bottom dollar erykah1310 is mod 1...

Like i said though, its sorta easy to see when you have nothing better to do. (me come winter lol)
Old June 1st, 2007, 05:15 PM

I think erykah is trying to throw us off her trail, lol...
Old June 1st, 2007, 05:32 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
... I am delighted to see many new members that have joined and I am also delighted to see a few members that have been absent for a bit.
I had to read that line twice Marko ~ I'm so glad you included
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Welcome and Welcome back!

You had me worried there
Old June 1st, 2007, 05:41 PM

It's understandable why some might feel distrustful, but there are several reasons for the "secret identities".

First, is the mods do not want to be treated different as members. As mentioned, we are regular members, and enjoy interacting with everyone. If you were in a discussion with someone you knew was a moderator, how would that affect your interaction (realizing some people will say, "not at all", but you see the point). Most of the mods at one point or another have been in a heated discussion, and most enjoy healthy debate. Chances are, some would walk on eggshells for fear of retribution.

Which brings me to my next point. Mods want to be able to act like regular members. As regular members, we are held (mostly) to the same standard as everyone else. However, as mods, we're expected to keep our emotions and personal biases in check.

And THAT brings me to moderating. When a thread is closed, or edited, it is done so by the board guidelines, not the mod's personaly feelings. Everyone of us has had to moderate a thread that, personally, we agreed with. Some have had threads they would love to close, but know that it doesn't break any rules, per se. Most of us have had to moderate members we truly like. And most of us have also been moderated as well. Whenever a thread comes into question, it is discussed openly. There have been heated discussions about decisions made, and some decsions have been reversed. The mod team is made up of a group who respect each other, but also disagree from time to time. Hopefully, that helps keep moderation on a fairly even keel.

If you do ever contact a mod, that is usually communicated to the entire team (not necessarily the content). That way, everything is out in the open, and Admin (ie Marko and Dave) is aware of any issues. If you've contacted a mod, and feel your concern has not been addressed, we would all encourage you to contact Marko directly.

As for mods staying out of controversial threads...that's not entirely true. As I said before, there have been several occasions where a member who is a mod has be moderated by another mod...if you followed all of that. Also, if a thread is closed by a mod, and the team feels that it was done out of personal reasons, and not because of board guidelines, we will call that mod on it. It's only fair to you, the members, and the board. In the same vein, mods will often avoid making a decision on a thread for that same reason...they feel that thier personal feelings will influence thier decision, and will communicate that to the rest of the team. That way, hopefully, decisions are made without bias.

Bottom line is, the mods want to be treated as equals when posting as regular members...no better, no worse. By having "alter egos", it allows us to do that.

Hopefully this gives you a better understanding of the mods, and why we have the "secret identity". It's not to be devious, or to put ourselves above anyone, but because we do enjoy being members, and want to be part of the "gang". It's kind of like being a cop, in that sense. If we were in uniform 24/7, we wouldn't be allowed to enjoy a beer with our buddies once in a while!

Your friendly neighbourhood mod,

Ford
Old June 1st, 2007, 05:54 PM
-

Yes but... when you are in Mod mode do you get to wear a Superhero cape ?

hehe we should all go back to that painting program Rick C. posted awhile back and draw up Super-Mod costumes.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 05:03 PM
-

Ford, you do have a point, but I still don't like the "us" and "them" feeling some that gets labelled here.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 05:08 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Ford, you do have a point, but I still don't like the "us" and "them" feeling some that gets labelled here.
But if we do find out the mods real identity , I personnaly think it will get them less autorithy, less respect, I mean , just an example, my boss was an employee just like me at first and then became my boss. He doesn't have any power over me, because I still see him like an employee, when he has something to ask me , something he knows I won't like , he sends someone else to tell me so I think it's good we don't know who the mods are, and if we knew who they were , could you imagine the sucking up that would cause ?
Old June 3rd, 2007, 05:13 PM
-

We don't have to know their real identity. They can just post occassionally like Marko does. Some members here have even met him and I certainly don't think he's lost any respect or authority.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 05:17 PM
-

Yes but if they post more , we may get their real identity by hints, they might get recognize by the way they post ?
Old June 3rd, 2007, 05:21 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I think it's good we don't know who the mods are, and if we knew who they were , could you imagine the sucking up that would cause ?
I guess only this board has this problem On the others I am on, no one sucks up to the mods, no one critisizes their modding and so on.

And frankly, if mods were posting with their "alter ego's" in a thread and I disagreed with Ford for example,I would have no issues with saying I disagreed. Call me a rebel, or disrespectful if you will, Its not like lets say for example... I cant be friends with a cop friend because one day he may write me a ticket, its his job, and its up to me to obey the rules. However, when he is "off duty" I have no issues with telling stories of "illegal" adventures I have had.
The point I have on all of this is, it seems to me like a power trip if you will. erykah1310 can be all quiet and respectful on the board but put on her "mod1" super hero cape and have some false sence of authority and higher ranking than others.
I hope you see what im saying.
Also, I thought it was board policy not to discuss how the board was run in an open forum. This whole thread has been "hypothetical"