Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old September 11th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Senior Contributor

umm EWWWW-Kittys bringing in presents

Ok Either Sid or Dusty are bringing in "presents".. dead mice & a bird.

They havent done this in a LONG time.

Anyways Diamond found the mouse (beside my bed) & I had to chase her around the house to get it from her. tail hanging out of her mouth

The bird & the other mice were left on the deck.

This is ther way of saying they LOVE me right??? EWWW

Do many of you also get "presents"?
Old September 11th, 2008, 11:46 AM
-

This is how it works out at my home

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=55250

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=55258
Old September 11th, 2008, 11:57 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

My feral girl Stormy brings me presents every day. They are usually still alive too. She will carry them over and meow until I notice her wherever she is outside and then she drops them. She loves me.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 11th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Senior Contributor

LOL.. Whew I am not the only one..

I am just worried one of them will leave it somewhere & Diamond will eat it

what is the weirdest present you have been brought?

I think Sid brought us a BAT still alive too.
Old September 12th, 2008, 03:30 PM
chronically insane.

I usually get Moles. Err... those little blind rat type things that dig underground. I got a dead bird once or twice.... I think an actual mouse once. My neighbor just got a baby squirrel recently... she was horrified because the mommy squirrel came over looking for the baby.

Worst I got was an adult wild rabbit.....

I know it means they love us.. but still it's gross And Buddy is so dumb and uncoordinated I have no clue how he catches them.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old September 15th, 2008, 09:22 AM

Gifts ...

When Puss was young and active, we had a pet door for her to go out to a caged in catrun.

We were trying to sleep one night and kept hearing bang,bang,bang of the pet door. Hubby, the fearless, went to check it out and discovered she'd been fighting to fit a garter snake in through the door ... I guess he kept stretching out lengthwise to try to avoid being dragged in.

Hubby found him in the kitchen, at the end of a trail of blood, all coiled up, playing dead. Puss was sitting watch over him, very proud of herself.

Hubby scooped the snake, who was NOT dead, into a paper bag and set him out the back door ... and promptly nailed the pet door closed!

Before that she had brought in the occassional mouse/mole and one VERY BIG toad.

Old September 15th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Geek Club CEO

Solomon usually eats what he catches unless it's very big (large bird or a rabbit) and then he only eats most of it. Occasionally he will leave the bum (hind legs and tail) of whatever rodent he's caught on he lawn near the house. Our new pup has taken to "collecting" these leftovers when let out to potty and bringing them back in the house
Boo tends to catch and bring live critters (usually tiny voles/moles) into the house. I've had to corral and release at least half a dozen little critters this summer.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old December 24th, 2008, 01:36 AM
cat stuck in a human body

cats do this because THEY ARE FEEDING YOU!

your supposed to eat the yummy present that they bring back

I just thank them for being concerned about my diet, and then pretend to eat it, as I put it into a plastic bag and chuck the nasty dead carcass into the trash

kittys luvv us
Old December 24th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Thankfully none of my cats go outside so I don't have to experience this. I know Smitty would do it, though. He lived outside on a farm the first 4 months of his life so I'm sure he learned how then. One day I had him in the backyard with me and Dracko for a few mins and he found an already dead bird. (I knew it was there but was waiting for my nephew to come home and dispose of it. ) Smitty found it and started carrying it away. Needless to say I brought him in the house right away.

My mom's cat who lived to be 21 and was always an indoor cat had never been outside to kill anything. One day my mom woke up and discovered he'd brought her a mouse and dropped it on her bed. She found out a few days before there was a mouse in her house and had put out a few traps for it. The cat was in his late teens and still had the instinct to kill it and bring it to his mom.

Puss'FavPerson - OMG!!! is all I can say about your snake story.

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old December 24th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Kitty pimp

lol about the snake poor fella
Old December 25th, 2008, 04:52 AM
-

Yep, my Ziggy brings home garter snakes too and if he can't find them he brings worms. Also mice, skinks a baby gopher and a squirrel.
Old January 7th, 2009, 08:49 AM

Oh yes ... my fearless indoor Siamese cats hunt spiders and flies ... Ahahaa ... lady bugs too!

Barn cats on the other hand have brought me everything! Mice, rats, moles, voles, bats, chipmunks, baby groundhogs, small to medium birds ... and even the tail from a very pissed off squirrel - ACK! They tried to take out one of the chickens but they caught flack for that stunt!!!

What I hate is when I go to pick them up (WITH GLOVES ON!) and they decide to wake up ... AHH! Scares the living spit out of me!

I know when barn cat #1 is coming with a present, because she uses a "special" meow. I then avoid her until she stops barn cat #2 doesn't announce, she prefers to keep her presents to herself!

I remember when I was very, very young my Moms tabby cat and her were curled up together on the couch in the "new" apartment. Cat jumped up and Mom thought nothing of it. Suddenly Mom looked over to see the cat trot over to her dish, stop suddenly and spin face to face with a mouse ... cat ran screaming from the room in terror LOL (She wasn't the, ah, uh, bravest cat in the world!!)

Haha. Speaking of brave cats ... I was in the chicken coop and had left the door open (the chickens don't go far and come back to their grain easily) and I was at the back of the coop getting eggs and suddenly I hear a meow and a barn cat sticks her head in the door ... chickens and squawk and cluck and come flying at ME ('cause y'know I'm the fearful leader LOL) and I scream (I had a flock of terrified chickens flying at my head!) and the chickens stop in mid air and turn around to run away from ME ... back towards the cat ... Tough barn cat ran like hell It was amusing. Found the poor dear sitting around the corner of the next shed, with eyes popped out cartoon style and shaking in fear ... she was totally shell-shocked ... that'll teach her!

Wonder whther thats why I haven't found any sacrificial birds lately in the barn ... poor cat is scarred for life now

<3 Owned by a very cute golden retriever; Kassie!! <3
Old January 7th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
My feral girl Stormy brings me presents every day. They are usually still alive too. She will carry them over and meow until I notice her wherever she is outside and then she drops them. She loves me.
Oh what a good girl she is, she just loves you so much

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 7th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

My buddies cat would bring home live gardner snakes for presents.and he's scared of any kind of snake.they do bring it with love.
Old January 8th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Catlover2

I used to have a blue tabby neuter who preferred to bring me snakes, but also on occasion brought baby rabbits, mice, voles and birds. He would always announce loudly his trophies with excited low meows, and one day he brought a cherished necklace I had lost some weeks before. He found it in the grass, even though I had searched for it in vain. Good cat!