Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old December 11th, 2012, 12:57 PM

Question How to train cats from door-dashing

I have two black cats - Newton and Newt (kitten and his mom). They often try to 'escape' the house when the door opens. Sometimes, they approach the open door slowly, giving me lots of time to close it, other times, they wait right by the edge of the door, ready to spring out to freedom.

It once took me several minutes to catch both cats and get them back inside when they dashed out and headed in opposite directions (it's almost like they planned it beforehand!)

How can I minimize (or completely eliminate) this behaviour? Ideally, I would like to be able to keep the door open i.e. when I'm bringing in groceries or taking out the trash, without either of them trying to get out.
Old December 11th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Hmmm.....not an easy thing to do! Having had cats for a long time now, the best thing to do is manage them. If I have to have my doors open, I put them all in a room or two rooms, I have 4 cats, close the doors and when it's all clear I let them out. My guys are pretty good, as in they all know their names, 99% of the time will come when called but still better safe than sorry. I'm lucky right now because the house I'm in has inside doors so even when I'm bringing groceries in, I don't worry as we have a porch and in inside door, I've had my fair share of escapees and it's not fun, when they want out, they're super fast. Then of course, when they realize they're outside, they panic and hide. My newest addition was a stray but she has no interest really in the great outdoors anymore not to say though that an open door wouldn't tempt her outside!! So that's my suggestion, stick them in a bedroom, bring groceries in, let them out, everybody safe, nobody stressed!!