Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 2nd, 2007, 09:28 PM

Angry help

I have rescued a bulldog. He is a wonderful dog. He loves kids and loves to be petted. He does have a flaw. He wants to eat Cats and I mean eat one. He goes crazy when he sees a cat. As good a dog as he is I may not be able to keep him. My daughters have cats. I have wanted a Bulldog all my life. My wife says I should give him to someone to stud in exchange for a puppy, because it would be much easier to train a puppy to get along. Is this my only option or can he be trained to get along with the cats. If anyone has a similar experience please let me know, or I will be looking for him a home
Old November 2nd, 2007, 09:34 PM
-

How long have you had him ? Does he lives in a house with cats or does he just wants to chase the ones outside ?

And I take it he's not neutered ?
Old November 2nd, 2007, 09:38 PM
Doggie Wench

One of our dogs would likely kill a cat as well...but we wouldn't let him. We've taught him the "leave it" command, and he listens. However, I don't think we could ever get him accustomed to living alongside one.

Do you really think you can't deal with this? Is it possible to return him from where you got him from (if it was a rescue or a shelter)?

I won't comment regarding your statement of trading him in for use as a stud other than to say, chances are a reputable/responsible breeder would never even consider using him to breed. For his sake, please seek other options.
Old November 3rd, 2007, 06:05 PM

Angry Chief - Bulldog

I do have cats that have been living inside until now. I have only had him a month or so. The elderly couple that had him can not take him back, the man has allergies to him. He has not been fixed because they were going to breed him. He is the great grandson of UGA the fifth. I do have all of his papers. This is hard because he is so loving to people and kids as well.
Old November 3rd, 2007, 06:18 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

You could get a trainer involved to find out how to deal with him when he sees a cat. Worth it if you want to keep him and any cats that wander into your yard safe.

Cindy
Old November 4th, 2007, 04:03 PM

Wait, so let me get this straight: you've sent your cats to live outside because the new dog doesn't get along with them? Isn't there another room in your house where you can keep the dog separated from your cats?

If the couple from whom you got the dog bought him from a responsible breeder, chances are the breeder will take him back (my brother even had to sign a contract stating that he would return his dog to the breeder if he couldn't keep him for whatever reason).

As far as breeding him, please take a look at all of the animals in your local shelter before you decide to bring more puppies into the world. That's all I'm going to say about that topic for now.
Old November 4th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I would contact the Bulldog rescue, they will find him a wonderful home and make sure he gets fixed.
I would never send my indoor cat's outside because a new dog entered the picture, It would be a very easy choice for me, call the rescue, and re-home the dog, the cat's were there first.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old November 4th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with Happycats and WOP,please try to find another placement for the Bull-Dog and let the cats back inside to their home,it's just not fair to them to be out there facing all kinds of dangers:sad:
You can always get a Bull-Dog puppy from a reputable breeder and he would get used to the cats right from the start.
Old November 5th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

You sent your cats outside in that dangerous world because you brought a dog into your home????
I am crying on behalf of your cats.
Old November 5th, 2007, 09:49 PM
-

You haven't given much detail on what you are basing your opinion that he would "eat a cat" but unless you've ever seen him up close and personal with a cat I would say it's hard to say.

All dogs are very curous about cats, many want to chase them. Almost all bark at them ~ after all they are seemingly weird creatures.

Almost all dogs can be trained ~ I would suggest that rather than have outdoor cats, you bring them indoors and get a behaviourist consultant who can teach you ~ and I do mean you ~ to have both cats and dogs.
Old November 5th, 2007, 10:09 PM

i found this link on this site about dogs and cats! i went searching on a way to get them to play nice or at least get her to learn to ignore them.. i can't remember the name of who posted it but i booked marked the page on my puter..

it is actually working for me.. it is also helping me with her barking how ever i have not thrown it.. i just have shaken it.. now all i have to do is show her it. it took me a week and now she dosent bother much with the cats..

btw thank you who every you are for posting this link...

http://www.labadoption.org/linkpages...icles/Cats.pdf
Old November 6th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Senior Contributor

I think its incredibly unfair to send the cats outside when they were there first. It's not their fault the dog doesn't like them.

I'd say find a professional that can help you acclimatize him to your home. After all, he is the outsider, he needs to learn to get along with everyone in your home, and those already living there should not suffer the consequences.

If you can't train him, I'm sure the breeder or a bull dog rescue would find him a proper home, and you can then get a puppy who will be more accepting of the cats. He will grow up along side of them and then nobody has to be put outside.

It's a lot more dangerous out there for your cats than for your dog. Why didn't HE go outside?
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old November 6th, 2007, 01:35 PM

Keep them seperated for now. When he's around the cats,put him on a leash and when he goes after them,pull him back hard and say,"LEAVE IT" then MAKE him sit beside you while you stand or sit. Don't even let him look at the cats or growl at them while he is in this state. This could take a long time for him to learn this. And I wouldn't leave them alone together when you aren't there.
He should eventually learn the leave it command. Also,Lay him on his side when he tries to attack and make him stay there. Have someone hold him while you lay one of the cats beside him. Don't let him move. Don't let him grow;. Don't let him look at them.
Caesar Milan even put a cat in a cat buggy and took it on a walk with a dog to make them feel more like a pack.
This worked for me with my dogs. But it took awhile.