Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 22nd, 2015, 07:50 PM

one year old Chihuahua with lazy eye

Hello, our one year old Chihuahua named Piper has a lazy left eye and it seems a bit miss shaped. Both eyes water all the time. Her eye has been this way since they were open as a baby but seems to be worse than it used to. Our vet never said much about it when asked but it concerns it's as she is very much a family member. I will try to post a couple photos so the left eye can be zoomed in on. Interested in opinions on this.
Attached Images

Old January 23rd, 2015, 12:37 AM
Senior Contributor

I am not sure if I am seeing it clearly, but does it also bulge more? It not be and might be the angle of the pic, I'm can't tell.
Old January 23rd, 2015, 12:49 AM

Hi Lisa,

I don't think it actually does bulge out more. I think it's mostly the coloring and third eyelid that gives it that appearance.

Regards
Ken
Old January 23rd, 2015, 05:18 AM
Senior Contributor

I can think of a couple of things, but there are most likely other possibilities....

That could be just her normal?

There is an underlying tooth issue? I can't remember which tooth, or it might be several, but there is a connection between eye issues (like bulging) and certain teeth.

My dog has the opposite - she has an eye that doesn't open as wide as the other - you can kinda see it here: http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...60048Large.jpg Turns out that this happen when her neck and/or jaw are out of alignment and she has to see the chiropractor (www.avcadoctors.com).

However, I still am unsure if there should be that much more of the white showing - I don't see the third eyelid, that usually comes in diagonally from the bottom, but I just might not be seeing the picture right.

If she were mine, I'd have her check by an eye vet: http://acvo.org/new/public/locate.shtml

She has very pretty coloring