Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 5th, 2015, 04:31 PM

Digestive Problems - 5 year old dog

I got back from vacation a week ago and when I picked up my dog at the kennel she'd mentioned that he had been having a little trouble pooping like he was constipated, but when he did succeed it was very soft and a small amount.

His appetite is great, he has a lot of energy, he doesn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort when I press on his abdomen, and he doesn't seem bloated. There are no other changes in his behavior or temperament.

She recommended I keep an eye on it and give him rice or pumpkin or sweet potato, which I have been doing. She also recommended I not feed him for one day, which I tried to do, but he was especially hungry and I failed.

History:
He's had digestive problems often in the past and vomits regularly, but according to the vet, not enough to be worrisome.

I did notice that he was having trouble pooping a little bit before I left on vacation, but because of his history I didn't think much of it, because it's not unusual for him to have short term digestive problems. But this has now been 2-3 weeks and I'm starting to wonder if it's worth a vet visit or if there's something else I should be doing.
Old January 6th, 2015, 03:14 AM
Senior Contributor

You might look into changing foods to a single protein, single carb/starch - a dog should not regularly vomit.

SIBO might be an issue here.