Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 21st, 2016, 09:07 PM

Exclamation Cat pain, right leg when stretched

Hello,
My cat, whom is 12 years old, recently looks to have pulled her leg. When she comes for attention she likes to stretch her hind legs with a lil twitch... she's been doing so since she was a kitten. 2 days ago, in my office, she did the same thing then looks like she cramped it, pulled it in with a uncomfortable meow, and then after a second proceeded to walk out with a small limp. Nothing too serious... I figured, pulled muscle / cramp.

So, later on that night she jumped onto the couch (not a high jump as I have a low baring couch), and she came for affection again and when pulled the leg back, cried some more. (these aren't load excruciating cries... just the short cry of pain) It's the same leg she keeps pulling on and causing her to have pain. The second time, she had more of a limp then the first. She retreated into her favorite bed and slept it off.

Sunday comes and she's walking around perfectly fine again... a little cautious about jumping, and for the most part, she doesn't, as I also try to stop her from jumping. Sunday night I closed my office door when I was working, and then the bedroom when I went to bed... primary reason is I know she would want to jump up... but I figured limiting her jumping was a good thing as I didn't want her to make the potential wound worse.

She is eating regularly both her treats, and her main food. I have seen her use the litter a few times, so I don't think it's keeping her from her daily routine other then jumping or stretching her hind leg.

My thoughts is to do my best to keep her from stretching or jumping as much as possible, but I hate having to keep her away from me as it's just the two of us... I would be rather disheartening for her. I just also picked up some health treats which are supposed to help her deal with pain and promote healing in the joints... directions are twice a day.

Tonight, Monday, she was doing perfect fine until she jumped up the high point of the couch, started to walk down and stretched out the right leg again and then she proceeded to meow and walk away back to her room... where I think she's just laying down to recover from the pain. But there was no limp in this instance that I noticed. I might be over worrying, but just wanted your thoughts.

Thank you.
Old November 22nd, 2016, 08:25 AM
Senior Contributor

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet...ure-in-cats/79

I have heard of this being a problem in dogs more than cats but it would be worth Vetting to find out. It could be something else too.

ETA: The link is on cruciate ligament rupture.
Old November 22nd, 2016, 03:57 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I wonder if it might be the onset of arthritis? But it's all speculation. Unfortunately, I think the only way to know for sure what's going on is have a vet evaluate the leg.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."