Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 5th, 2016, 11:02 PM

Exclamation Cat Behaviour

Hi all,

Sorry if this isn't the right section, I didn't see a specific "behaviour" section but I may have bypassed it.

I was hoping someone could give me tips or point me in the right direction as I am having a lot of trouble with my new cat, Van Gogh.

I just adopted him after having him as a foster for about a week. While fostering I fell in love with this little bugger. He seemed well adjusted, LOVED to cuddle and always wanted to spend time together. Yesterday he got spooked by our other cat Odin and has since become extremely skittish, will not allow anyone to handle him at all and just hides whenever anyone comes near him. My heart is broken as we spent most of our days together while he was being fostered and ended up adopting him due to his cuddly nature and it has now literally changed overnight.

If anyone has tips please let me know. I just want my cuddle bug back.

Thanks,
Beyla
Old November 6th, 2016, 08:50 AM
Senior Contributor

"Spooked" how? Did Odin rough him up?

It's only been one day, if it was me I'd give him time to readjust. Maybe you could put yourself and him in a room together and you just sit, read a book or something, and give him time to calm down and come around to cuddles again. Try to not be threatening, don't look right at him, keep hand motions still or slow if you have to move your hands.
Old November 6th, 2016, 02:39 PM

Hey,

Thanks for the reply! Odin gad gone up behind Van Gogh and was sniffing him when Van Gogh realized he was there. Once he clued in he jumped about 3 feet off the chair and began scrambling all over the table. We were able to bring him upstairs and separate the two cats but then Van Gogh ran and hid and wouldn't come out and recoiled any time we went near him. He's still not back to himself though we have been trying to just be in the same room but not in his space. He still seems to not trust us.

I will continue to try this and hopefully we will see an improvement.

Thanks again,
Beyla
Old November 6th, 2016, 04:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Was Van Gogh living outside before you got him? If so he might had been bullied by another cat and not like cats getting too close to him .
Does Van Gogh have a place he jump onto when feel the need to away from your other cat. I like his name , is your cat missing part of an ear?

I would love to see photo of your 2
Old November 6th, 2016, 04:23 PM

Odin is the brown one (Maine Coon) and Van Gogh is the grey and white one, hes got most of his ear but its folded over

Yes, he was found on the streets so its possible he was bullied, I never thought of that because he was around other cats in the shelter but its very possible!

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old November 6th, 2016, 06:43 PM

Lots of time and patience and you should have Van Gogh cuddling up with you again soon. Sometimes it's hard to tell what your kitty was startled by and what kitty associates with that event.

We moved recently and our 12 year old kitty has had some difficulty adjusting. There are so many different noises here especially from water treatment systems in the basement. My kitty became terrified of the cat flap to the basement and refused to go through it after happily using it for over a month. After several weeks of enticing him with treats to go through it, he finally uses it on his own again. . I can only assume that the water system was making a frightening noise and startled my kitty when he was using his cat flap. He then became terrified of it.

Hopefully you can get back to cuddling with Van Gogh very soon. BTW, Your kitties are adorable
Old November 6th, 2016, 07:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I love you kitties !
Old November 6th, 2016, 09:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, my goodness, what adorable kitties!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 6th, 2016, 11:36 PM

Thanks all!!

I'm feeling slightly better having the support of people who have been through similar experiences. Van Gogh has come around a little bit to my boyfriend but is still not warming up to me. I'm hoping this changes sooner than later.

Do any of you have experience with things like feliway or thunder shirts and if so do you think either would help him in this situation?

Beyla
Old November 7th, 2016, 03:57 PM
Senior Contributor

The vet office I bring my dog to be groomed use feliway diffusers for the cats during their office visit . I was told it helps the cats relax .