Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 17th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Brady may have mouth Cancer

Well I took my moms kitty Brady to the vet last night since he started to urinate outside the box and he has lost a great deal of weight. His breath has been pretty gross for awhile but he seemed like such a happy boy!

Anyway after the exam the vet feels that Brady likely has Cancer in his mouth. She opened his mouth up pretty wide and she showed us all of these horrible legions and infection on the underside of his tongue and all along both sides.

The vet drew blood and put him on Clyndamicine (sp?). She is also prescribing some prednisone to see if these two drugs take the infection away. If they dont them she said it is likely the Cancer. It is inoperable as its in the mouth.

My poor Mom was absolutely devastated and to boot it cost her $400.00 a week before Christmas....she is on an Old Age Pension which isnt much!

Anyway I am looking for the positive vibes of this board and my many cyber friends to say a few prayers for Brady...he is the most sweetest happy little fella! He was rolling all over the exam table just happy that someone was petting him................he was so involved in being happy that she was able to take his temperature without him even flinching!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 17th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Senior Contributor

oh Cindy, I am so sorry. I am sending you all the positive vibes towards Brady....I understand what she is going thru....:goodvibe s:
Old December 17th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Thank you mf! Yes Mom is beside herself but I am trying to keep her positive especially since it Christmas.

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 17th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Cindy, Brady and your mom will be in my thoughts and prayers. I sure hope the drugs clear it up and Brady has no further issues with it. How old is he?
Old December 17th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

I am so sorry Winston. I will keep my fingers crossed and also keep Brady in my prayers.

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old December 17th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Ah gesss Winston.
Good vibes coming through to all those concerned.
Old December 17th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww Winston,your poor mom,I hope the meds will do the trick and it's not cancer
A big for your mom from me,I know what she's going through
Old December 17th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Thanks everyone! ...DD Brady is 6 or 7 we are not sure since he was from a rescue here in Hamilton.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old December 17th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

OH, no, no more heartbreak this year . I am so sorry, Winston. Hopefully is just ulcers and will heal with the meds

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 17th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Senior Contributor

I hope it is just an infection good vibes coming your way
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old December 17th, 2010, 07:09 PM
-

What a $hitty year it has been for a lot of peeps on pets

My 's are with your Mum and Brady Winston.
Old December 17th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Doggie Wench

Praying Brady gets better asap and it's not so serious. Big hugs to your mom.
Old December 17th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well I stopped by the vets tonight on the way home from work and had a little chat with a different vet and picked up an additional prescription for Brady.

Today I was doing abit of research and found many articles on one health issue Brady already has which is

Feline Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex

I found that the presentation of this is very very similiar to what Brady had appearing in his mouth. So I decided to discuss that with the vet and they also agreed that this could be what the issue is. However they indicated that the only way to know for sure is a biopsy. They were quite concerned about the foul smelling breath. Rather than attempt the biopsy we are going to try a round of meds to see if we see any improvement in the mouth lesions. If we dont see some improvement then we know our avenue is going to have to be a biopsy...

One awesome bit of news today was the blood work. We did a full panel and his blood work came back as they put it absolutely perfect!! No kidney issues, no protein issues, everything was great. That has my Mom feeling a whole lot better tonight..

For now Brady is on the clyndamicine (sp?) and I picked up prednisone today.

My mom said Brady knows there is something in the food today because he left some behind and normally the bowl is licked clean..

We are to check his mouth in a week and see how things look.

Thank you for the prayers and good vibes...keep em coming!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old December 18th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

My daughter's cat has that but normally the sores come on her lip. The only food that Ginger can eat is the vet's hypoallergenic food, so not the best food, but eliminates the need for steroids to keep it under control.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 18th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

I'm sorry I missed the original post, and I'm very glad to see that the blood test was good! I will definitely keep your mom and her kitty in my thoughts and 'ers. I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas!!

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old December 18th, 2010, 10:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Aw, poor Brady! I hope the meds clear it all up, Winston! Give your mom and Brady a hug from me when you see them next. They'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

for a good update after his next check!!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 18th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Live well, laugh often

Adding my good wishes and healing vibes for Brady .
Old December 18th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Catlover2

Hope everything turns out well. All the best to Brady and your mom. So stressful at this time of year.
Old December 19th, 2010, 03:47 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm sorry to hear about poor Brady. I hope the meds take care of the problem,,,poor little fella.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old December 19th, 2010, 02:08 PM
-

Aw Winston, I'm sorry to hear about Brady.

We have Chase on Clindamycin as well right now and certainly understand how your mom is feeling. Glad to hear the good news regarding Brady's bloodwork and sending lots of for his next vet visit.
Old December 19th, 2010, 11:24 PM
~Cat Servent~

from us here too.... hoping it's not cancer...

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old December 19th, 2010, 11:59 PM

Prayers and positive thoughts on the way that the meds work for Brady and he has a full recovery. on Brady's bloodwork.
Old December 21st, 2010, 03:06 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Are the meds helping, Winston?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 4th, 2011, 08:42 PM
-

Winston, how is Brady?
Old January 4th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hi Rainbow...I tried to get ahold of him the other day because I had to check and make sure my Mom was following the meds correctly. He wouldnt let me open it like they did at the vets office. She was able to get it wide open without him seeming to be affected?? My mom said she doesnt smell the really bad breath anymore. Apparently he would lick himself and she could smell it across the room. I imagine it was a pretty foul smell. I saw it inside and boy it was nasty.

I have to call the vets as I am not sur eif she needs to recheck him once he finished the first meds that he took for 10 days. The prednisone is a 30 day prescrption.

His appetite stayed pretty good throughout the whole time of taking meds. He did have a week of the runs but we expected that. I think he has gained back any weight he did loose because he rang back in at 12 pounds now.

I have been so busy with the holidays I havent called them but I will have some time tomorrow to see what there follow up is.

I wil keep you posted..Thanks for thinking of us!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown

Last edited by Winston; January 5th, 2011 at 06:26 AM.
Old January 4th, 2011, 10:00 PM
You can call me DOG!

I have been so busy with the holiday bustle and didn't see this earlier.

Wanting to pass along my and to Brady and your mom.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old January 24th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Just a quick update on Brady...I had to bring him back in for a recheck on his mouth because I could not get it opened....anyways we have really good news! NO Mouth Cancer!!!!! it sadly is part of the disease he already has EGC.(Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex ..except this time it was inside and I cant even tell you how bad it was!! Now it looked great! nice and pink. He did have one tiny area she was concerned about but thought it was pretty much cleared up.

I got to see the regular vet this time which I felt so much more comfortable about...she said if it still smelled really bad and there was little improvement she would lean more toward the cancer side of things...Brady previously took prednisone for almost 2 yrs with little effect on the EGC so she has placed another med on his file and if it flares up we can just come by and pick it up...

Poor boy vomited all over his cage on the way home....I had to take him in the house and help my mom clean him up. He was a little mad a me after washing him off!

She didnt charge me either which I thought was great. The other vet wanted $50.00 recheck fee??
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old January 24th, 2011, 07:54 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Great news, Winston! Your mom has to be so relieved!!!!

Poor Brady...I take it he doesn't travel well? You still have all your fingers after the post-trip bath?

Old January 24th, 2011, 07:54 PM
-

Great news Winston...your Mum must be real happy with that news
Old January 24th, 2011, 08:00 PM
-

I'm so happy to hear the good news about Brady .....you and your mom must be so relieved.