Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old February 22nd, 2010, 10:14 PM
I <3 Fur

Question Food suggestions for a picky Chi Puppy

My 7 month old Chihuahua is not a big eater. I've had her since she was 10 weeks and she has never had much of an appetite. I realize she's a different breed then, for example, a lab type who lives for his next meal, but I do still worry that she isn't getting enough.

She weighs 2.6 lbs and has a clean bill of health. I did ask the vet (who said he wouldn't mind seeing some more weight on her) and he suggested introducing wet food with the dry. I did this. It worked for a few few feedings and then....disinterest.

Currently she is fed 2 meals a day of Eukanuba Puppy Wet(tablespoon) & Dry (1/3cup), and rarely does she ever finish even half a meal. She is very thin with all her ribs and hip bones protruding....this could just be her gangly puppy stage...but since the vet wouldn't mind seeing more weight on her and she barely eats as it is...I'm thinking there must be some other options here.

At this point I'm wondering if its as simple as her not liking the food. Any suggestions for a new brand?

I'm not interested in a raw or homemade diet. I'm looking for a reliable and high quality storebought brand, that can be found in more places then some random pet store 50kms away. I do live in the city so this opens up more choices...just want to ensure that whatever I try I can maintain it (if it works).

Any suggestions are appreciated!!

Thanks!

V
Old February 23rd, 2010, 08:15 AM
Investigative researcher

If you have a Global Pet Food store in your area, they will have several brands that are MUCH better than Eukanuba. Wellness, Innova, Evo, and my favorite Orijen or the other food made by Champion Pet Foods-- Acana, are all better kibbles--and Wellness makes a good wet as well.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 09:08 AM
Senior Contributor

GO Natural has a high caloric count. My dog gets chunky on it. They have Salmon, chicken, duck, and now a grain free.

Last edited by Marty11; February 23rd, 2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 09:21 AM
I <3 Fur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleRR View Post
my favorite Orijen or the other food made by Champion Pet Foods-- Acana, are all better kibbles--and Wellness makes a good wet as well.

What is the different between Orijen and Acana? Do they have small kibbles that a tiny pup could eat?
Old February 23rd, 2010, 06:51 PM

Both Orijen and Acana are made by Champion Pet Foods in Morinville, AB. However, there are some differences:

Orijen is 70-75% meat vs. Acana with 40-65% (depends on the formula)
Orijen has between 38-42% protein vs. Acana with 29-34%
Orijen has 18-22% carbohydrates vs. Acana with 28-30%
Orijen has 28-33% fresh meats vs. Acana with 9-15%
Orijen has a minimum of 5 fresh meats vs. Acana with three fresh meats

Acana is lower in protein and total fresh meat content to Orijen, but also is much cheaper and might be a good alternative to someone still wanting to provide their dogs with an excellent premium diet, but is on a budget.

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old February 23rd, 2010, 06:55 PM

And yes the do provide a puppy diet (they also provide a special large puppy diet)... here is the info: http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/products/puppy.aspx

I really like Orijen products... mainly because they are essentially a BARF diet in a kibble form and are biologically appropriate for all breeds and sizes of canines. The fact that Orijen is made in Canada (in Alberta ) and uses fresh, local ingredients is a nice bonus! I used Acana for a few years and my dogs did great on it only reason why I switched was because I went to a raw diet.

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old February 25th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I <3 Fur

Well after running all this by my vet I've decided to try her on Orijen puppy...I figure if she only eats a few kibbles a day the more protein the better...who knows maybe it will entice her to eat a bit more. Either way, I will switch her gradually and see how it goes.

Thanks so much for all the puppy food education!!!
Old February 25th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Senior Contributor

I have an Omega oil which is chicken flavored. This seems to be enticing to the dogs as well.
I also find a bit of chicken broth or warm water can be good too.
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire