Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Suggestions & Improvements

Closed Thread

Old May 27th, 2007, 12:16 PM

That really blows, erykah. :sad:
Old May 27th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Meh....
I think they're funny really!
I guess there is some pent up anger about me that came flying out totally uncalled for, but whatever, I have to give credit that "they" were atleast able to confront me
whatcha gonna do right
Old May 27th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Flyball Mom

Well, perhaps they shouldn't send ya PM's that are nasty to begin with. Just my humble opinion.

Oh, I did get one in reference to this thread, but it was a nice one.

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

You're lucky Byrd!
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Flyball Mom

Yeah, well, I was afraid to open it.

Don't worry Erykah, want me to beat them up for ya.

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Nope, not even worth it...
IM a big gurl.
And Fergie sais it best. " big gurls dont cry"
Freedom of speach is important in a world like the one we live in, by all means everyone should have the gonads to say whats REALLY on their minds
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Senior Contributor

I feel so left out, I want a nasty PM

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

On its way Stacer!!!
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Senior Contributor

make it super nasty.

Old May 27th, 2007, 05:18 PM

Oooo... I don't know if you can do it as well as the real bullies though. Not sure you have it in you, Erykah.
Old May 27th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Senior Contributor

They sound pretty lame,being afraid to post to you on the forums.
Old May 27th, 2007, 05:43 PM
-

WOW.....I had no idea things seemed so bad for so many. :sad:

I do agree with TeriM though....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM
I'm generally not to much of a confrontational person on this board (though can be in real life ) so maybe I don't notice it as much either. I do think that sometimes people just need to agree to disagree and quit demanding that others agree with their positions.

That said, I do love this board and think part of the slowdown is normal as we move onto warmer weather and people are busy shaking off the winter cobwebs.
I've been away for the past week because of the nicer weather, planting, weeding, etc. And, also because hubby is home now which causes more work and things just go better if I'm not on the computer so much. I also stay away from the controversial issues as I hate arguing especially over the internet.
Old May 27th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow! I've been off for a few weeks because of computer problems. Ignorance is bliss! I have to admit that I don't go into a lot of threads. Often, I've just read through and realized others have already expressed more eloguently what I would have wanted to say. Unfortunately, there are some issues that come up over and over again that never seem to be resolved. I often won't comment unless I have something constructive to add. And, Heidiho, those one-liners always seem to have a "sad" icon in the title don't they! On the other hand, if it's really not the same troll . . . you hate to think there could really be a pet suffering and the person needs to be told to seek immediate veterinary help. If there was just the poster to worry about, it'd be easy. Anyhow, over the years I've hated seeing long-time members leave. I love the sharing and friendships that develop here.
Old May 28th, 2007, 01:58 AM
Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310
by all means everyone should have the gonads to say whats REALLY on their minds
My gonads are shrinking :sad: :sad:.

Old May 28th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmurlock View Post
wow I completely agree. I have been having some health problems with my dog. Im not an idiot, he had flu symptoms, not an emergency...I just spent a few hundred dollars on vet services for another dog that miscarried, Im a college student without a lot of money....so before taking him to the vet which I really cant afford I posted his symptoms hoping to find someone with a similar problem. I got two replies.....one: why dont I get off my computer, sell it, and take my dog to a vet.........wow that was helpful. two: my thread was being locked. I wrote a comment in the early morning explaining, that though some disagree with me waiting to see a vet, rudeness was not the answer. I also commented that the person who told me to get off the computer and sell it if I dont have money was incompassionate, as they did not know anything about me and my financial situation. This was deleted, apparently this site isnt about MONITORING,it about AGREEING, if the monitor doesnt agree, its deleted. I have never been on a forum quite like this. Usually a thread is deleted if its content is inappropriate, an OPINION is not inappropriate and should not have been deleted. I am very surprised by the lock on freedom of speech here. I actually have begun discussing the issues of this site with my other forums and people are quite surprised. Honestly the only reason Im coming back is to watch how many threads get deleted a day.
The reason that threads asking for medical advice are promptly locked is this: not so very long ago, a young man came here looking for advice about his sick puppy. While he spent his time here arguing with the members about why he couldn't take his puppy to the vet - his puppy got worse and died! We are just people who own pets. I can't think of a single active member that is a vet and I can't think of a single vet that can diagnose an illness over the internet. While you think your dog has flu-like symptoms, there may well be something that you think is inconsiquential that a vet will be able to pick up that could save your dog's life.

There is no lock on freedom of speech here. I rarely agree with everyone and have no problems speaking my mind. And I have only had my "hand slapped" once. However - rudeness and name calling is not tolerated. Neither is slander.

If you don't like it here - leave. It is really rather simple. Nobody makes you log in.
Old May 28th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Our moderators are also members. They don't get paid and they have jobs and families of their own. So, sometimes, things get past the moderators.

You are right - I didn't see your thread, so I don't know what you said that was deleted or whatever. I do know that, in the going on 4 years that I have been here, the admins and mods do the best that they can to keep everything civil and upbeat.

And once or twice a year, a thread like this pops up to remind everyone that this forum isn't special and can't be everything to everybody. Although we sure wish it was.

There are 20,000 people who are members here. About 100 people are active on an almost daily basis. I didn't count the posts in this thread and didn't look to see who posted more then once, but I am guessing about 10 people (besides you and me ) have expressed their dis-satisfaction. If you ask me - those ain't bad odds.
Old May 28th, 2007, 07:21 PM

ok...just my opinion....but as someone who has tried to get into the conversations.....

if your dog isn't neutered or spayed.....you are told what to do...bluntly... Please remember that there are people who are buying their first dog and haven't read or heard about BYBs. When I got my first dog, I had no idea that spay or neuter was the way to go. (sorry, but sometimes I still wish my Harley and/or Buster could be the stud)

sometimes people who post a "medical" question aren't looking for advice, just re-assurance.....we don't always want an answer to fix the problem, sometimes we just want someone to say ....nicely...."it's ok.....take your furbaby to a Vet and get the answer. But some of the people posting are too blunt.

I know it's a reality check, but you have to "read" the question. Not everyone wants to hear what you have to say....sometimes we just need a cushion to rest on.

I have a couple of times posted and stated in my posts..."if I am banned for this". How sad is that....that someone feels that they can't express an opinion or ask a question with worrying about being so bashed....

This is a great board....however everyone has to taken into consideration the human emotion and feeling. Our Furbabies have lots to offer but so do us humans...

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old May 28th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Senior Contributor

The problems sited by the OP are not member to member problems, they are mod to member problems. Granted there are alot of passionate people posting in the more heated forums and as a new user one might feel slighted by the onslaught of blunt advice, but if those same new members stick around long enough to get to know where the regular members are coming from they would see that on a daily basis new members join to ask one crazy question about their pet's health and it can become exhausting to constantly give the same advice to people who seem to need to ask important health related questions to people who are not vets. And you will see that there are alot of very compassionate people here, but if it seems like a beloved pet isn't getting the care it needs, then the well being of the pet comes before the feelings of the owner, and members will give advice that reflects that. I'm not defending the overly rude members, but in my opinion, sometimes it's hard not to be.

Old May 28th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Skim right on past this one, it is now irrelevant to the conversation.

Last edited by erykah1310; May 28th, 2007 at 08:02 PM.
Old May 28th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

actually I request it be closed, before we start argueing amongst each other. It was not the point of this thread. THe point has been discussed and I agree with what many of the posters have said.
And I see no problems with a general concerns thread from time to time lavender.
Old May 28th, 2007, 07:50 PM
-

oh that's just great, another byb !
Old May 28th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310 View Post
actually I request it be closed, before we start argueing amongst each other. It was not the point of this thread. THe point has been discussed and I agree with what many of the posters have said.
And I see no problems with a general concerns thread from time to time lavender.
I didn't say there was a problem with them. Actually - once people get things off their chest, so to speak, things seem to go along swimmingly.
Old May 28th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I think these threads help from time to time, especially if they remain as calm and suprisingly mature as this one has.
I have concerns, and have brought them up with admin, but honestly I was asking if other members felt the same, some have some havent, thats just the way it works. As with life.

I'm glad we are on the same page even if we disagree lavender.
Old May 28th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Thanks mmurlock
Old May 28th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Papa D

ohhhh no beating up the byb....this thread is no fun
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old May 28th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

not in my thread!

There is plenty of opportunity in others.
Old May 28th, 2007, 08:02 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdawson View Post
ohhhh no beating up the byb....this thread is no fun
I am restraining myself A LOT because it's off topic.
Old May 28th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Papa D

although i must admit to being a backyard breeder.....my wife and i had our anniversary.....and we tried to breed in the backyard
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old May 28th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG is all I can say - this thread is digressing, sigh!! I have already stated my opinion - and won't say more - but I am already alarmed by at least 2 of the comments made. I am never rude when I respond to people with pets who display serious problems - I try to be non judgmental and give them as much advice as I am qualified to do which is usually I am so sorry to hear of your problems and good luck and please see a vet asap. I refuse to discuss byb's in this thread -and most ppl here know my thoughts on that anyway - pls save those for another thread!!!!
Old May 28th, 2007, 08:04 PM
-

I think this thread has likely run it's course.
Closed Thread