Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 5th, 2015, 08:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Vaccines

What do you think of the Leptospirosis Vaccine? I do not like to do too many vaccines anyway. I have green space behind my house, although I am fenced in I see a lot of squirrels, racoons, chipmunks, rabbits and cats roaming around. I do not have any streams nor do we walk near any. I have lots of grass.
Old May 5th, 2015, 09:24 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We have lots of rodents and lepto is endemic here so for a while we were getting the lepto vaccinations for the dogs. Unfortunately, they were still coming down with it--evidently there are more types of lepto than they vaccinate for--so we've discontinued the vaccinations and just watch for symptoms.

If it weren't endemic, we wouldn't have vaccinated at all. Talk to your vet and see how many cases they see a year--if they aren't seeing any disease, there's probably no need for the extra vaccination, especially as there is the possibility for bad reactions to the vaccine itself.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 10th, 2015, 09:09 AM

Here's an article I booked marked years ago after I had a conversation about this with my vet. She was all "better safe than sorry". So I did some research and read quite a few articles, this one I booked marked because I found it to be the most comprehensive. I decided not to vaccinate http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com...rosis-vaccine/
Old May 11th, 2015, 07:08 AM
Senior Contributor

On the advice of my Vet I never gave it but I understand it now covers more strains though I don't know if the adverse reactions to the vaccine itself is any less. We are in a rural area with wildlife and streams and standing water.

Marian, the article is good but it's five years old. Do you know if they have one that's more recent?
Old May 11th, 2015, 09:15 AM

No, I don't any other articles booked marked, Longblades. I kept that one because I felt it was very well researched, even, and comprehensive. It's old info but that does not necessarily mean is not pertinent. However, if I do come across any updated articles that includes new info, I'll post it.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 08:40 AM

I second checking with your veterinarian about how many cases they see (if any). I don't vaccinate for it because it is not in my area. The vaccine is the most likely out of any dog vaccines to cause reactions. This is excellent reason to make sure your vet is not giving a combo vaccine of distemper, parvo, lepto in one syringe. If you do get the vaccine always hang out at your vets office for a good 20 - 30 mins after they give it, that way if your dog has a reaction you are right there.
Also lepto is relatively easily treated with antibiotics. The problem is many times it is mistaken for kidney failure, and unless your veterinarian actually test for it (by sending a blood sample to a reference lab) it may be misdiagnosed.
Also one more thing: A lot of us feel the vaccine may not last a whole 12 months, so giving the vaccine in the spring makes more sense than giving it in the fall or winter if you live in a seasonal area. Since the lepto is carried by other animal's urine: in the winter when every thing is frozen and covered in snow you need less protection.