Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old March 13th, 2007, 11:55 AM

Question what do you all think about dane mastiff mixs

hi i own a dane and have owned 3 in my life doc and hue both have passed from old age one ayear ago and the other 2 years ago. and i have summer now she is a fawn and is a bigger baby than my human kids.

to get to the point i was thinking of dane/mastiff mixs are they good dogs

and most of all where can we find one to addopt

thanks to all julie
Old March 13th, 2007, 11:58 AM
-

Hi Julie, you could start by looking at petfinder.com , I don't know much about that mix tough.
Old March 13th, 2007, 01:55 PM

Not sure about dane mastiff mixes... I've never met one. But petfinder is a great resource... Good luck!
Old March 15th, 2007, 12:00 AM

Thumbs up

thank you for helping i just don't wanna be looking at getting a mixed dog that is a mix for some reason just checking all basices
Old March 15th, 2007, 02:24 PM

No such thing as adopting a "bad mix" IMO, unless the combo leads to severe deformities or really bad genetic issues...
Old March 15th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Senior Contributor

good luck with your search it is impossible to ell with some mixes what they will be like since they have 2 separate breed characteristics, and unknown parentage if a rescue. it may look more like one but act more like the other breed be an inbetween or act just entirely different.... good luck finding this big boy though. since your used to danes i would suggest reading up on some mastiff breeds and becoming more familular with them. best of luck and keep us posted
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old March 15th, 2007, 06:36 PM
-

I agree and would go to a rescue/shelter to adopt one as they will be able to tell you about the dog itself. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old June 11th, 2007, 07:03 AM
looking for mastiff

dane/mastiff mixes

I have a rescue who is mostly dane with a little mastiff mixed in. I don't know if he would be representative of other similar mixes but let me tell you about some of the issues that we have had with him. He's a big dog. Not square like our mastiff, but with an incredibly deep chest. His chest looks like the keel of a sailboat it's so deep. So from the front he looks a little narrow but from the side he's huge. The vet has trouble hearing his heart. His ears are floppy and he is prone to ear infections. Due to his background he is very reluctant to let anyone handle his ears. It has been 2 years and I can now put ear wash on a soft cloth and with it wrapped around my finger, stick it in his ear. He will not allow the bottle anywhere near his ears.

He has dew claws on all 4 legs. He's a smart dog, with a large vocabulary and is still at the age of 7 adding words. He's very dominant. He likes men but it took almost a year for him to acknowledge that I was higher in the pecking order than he was. He's turned into a very cuddly dog. He wants to be with people all the time. He's always hungry and he drools way more than the mastiff.

I'll probably never find a forever home for him as he has bad hips and the damp weather aggravates his arthritis and that, combined with his still not good attitude and his size puts most people off.

Dunno what he was like before his life went to h*ll but based on him I would take another dane/mastiff mix in a second.

I'm attaching a couple of pictures (maybe) (if I can figure it out)

Yvonne
Attached Images

Old June 20th, 2007, 11:57 AM

Thumbs up

Hi, I just joined this forum and this post immediately caught my attention. I give danes/mastiffs .I cannot express myself as to how much I love this breed/mix. :love: My dane/mastiff, Lucas, was a rescued dog, but he was listed as a lab/dane. He's very much a people dog and doesn't like being outside unless we're off for a walk down to the beach! He's also great with little animals (like my ferret) and little kids. He doesn't like strangers too much though...
We've always had a dane mix of some sort. Our last dog, Higgins, lived to be nearly 17 years old. We feed our dogs mostly "table scraps" (we eat almost no meat, I think that's the key),let them sleep on the furniture of their choice, and they grow up to be healthy dogs. I've heard big dogs like danes and mastiffs need to sleep on soft things like beds and such.
our dog is definitely the :king: of the house.
If anyone can tell me how to add pictures I will.
Attached Images

Last edited by dovelady4; June 20th, 2007 at 12:10 PM. Reason: add pictures
Old June 20th, 2007, 01:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Is that Lucas in the pics, dovelady4? He's a handsome dude!

You should post a thread in the Introduce Yourself forum and put the pics in there, too. This is an old thread...more people will see your post if you start a new one.

Let me be the first to welcome you to the board! Looking forward to chatting with you in the forums!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 6th, 2007, 09:26 PM

Just adopted our Dane Mix....

Well, here is Dane, our Great Dane Pit Bull mix.
He is a wonderful Joy and very much part of our family.
After our 17 year old Keeshond passed away in Feb I didn't
think I could bring myself to have another soul in the home
but....
You can check out Dane's world at: http://web.mac.com/tom.aellis/iWeb/Site

Very Best,
Tom