Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old August 26th, 2006, 08:20 AM

A few questions about Solid Gold WolfKing

I think I have almost decided to try the WolfKing but I have a few questions about the ingredients for those Solid Gold experts:

1)I noticed that the WolfKing formula has garlic and I read in the post below that garlic is not good for dogs - is this a concern?

2)Why is the food so light in color compared to other dog foods. Have I just gotten use to thinking that dog food must be dark brown?

I've also noticed that this food does not have a strong smell but when I place a kibble of the solid gold beside the eagle pack or Eukanuba brand – they go for the solid gold every time – I would think they would prefer a stinky, fishier smelling food but I guess they must know what they prefer.

4)Does solid gold ever state how much meat is actually in their foods?

Thanks!
Old August 26th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWanda
1)I noticed that the WolfKing formula has garlic and I read in the post below that garlic is not good for dogs - is this a concern?
garlic is fine, when given in resonable doses. It actually helps to repell bugs (fleas). I put garlic in my dogs food ocassionally, and his homemade biscuits.

Quote:
2)Why is the food so light in color compared to other dog foods. Have I just gotten use to thinking that dog food must be dark brown?
why does dog food need to be a certain color? all food is different depending on ingredients. I don't recall wolf king being light in color at all.

Quote:
I've also noticed that this food does not have a strong smell but when I place a kibble of the solid gold beside the eagle pack or Eukanuba brand – they go for the solid gold every time – I would think they would prefer a stinky, fishier smelling food but I guess they must know what they prefer.
Wolf king actually is fishier (salmon), and the dog can probably smell it.

Quote:
4)Does solid gold ever state how much meat is actually in their foods?
check their site for ingredient info: http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/
Old August 26th, 2006, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the reply - for the protein I just meant the actually % of meat inclusion that they use in the food. Not the protein % but the actually amount of meat they are using compared to the other ingredients. Noticed that some companies are actually listing that - I couldn't find that on the website.
Old August 26th, 2006, 01:10 PM

Meat inclusion is a Pet Curean thing (the ones who make Go Natural). It's a load of bull too, IMO. 35% meat inclusion doesn't mean anything when the meat is not dehydrated. Most of that 35% is moisture.

1) Too much garlic is bad. A little garlic is good. It can also prevent fleas to a certain extent.

2) I've been feeding this for maybe 2.5 years now, and the only thing much darker than WK is usually the crap food with colors added. It's the same color as wellness, I know that for sure...

3) it's dang tasty. After so long, my doggies still get so excited to eat and before, they ate, but had no lust about it, you know?

4) I prefer just to judge by the ingredient list. The grains they use are great grains, IMO, and easily digestible, so if a part of that protein is from the grains, that's fine. But judging by my doggies' fur, skin and muscle mass, there's no meat lacking.

But every dog is different. Some dogs can't tolerate the density of WK. Others can't handle the bison. You just have to try different foods until one works.

Last edited by Prin; August 26th, 2006 at 01:17 PM.
Old August 26th, 2006, 01:14 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
2) I've been feeding this for maybe 2.5 years now, and the only thing darker than WK is the crap food with colors added. It's the same color as wellness, I know that for sure...

Timberwolf is darker than Wolf King.
Old August 26th, 2006, 01:17 PM

oooo Really?! There I fixed it.