Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 16th, 2009, 03:49 PM
New Around Here

There's a cat on my balcony who won't go away

This cat has been around for about 2 hrs now and shows no signs of leaving.
It is a beautiful, well-cared for, orange tabby cat with long hair. It doesn't seem aggressive, but my big, strong, grey tabby (Harry Potter) does not like this visitor one bit. The cat is new to the neighbourhood, I think as I don't remember seeing it before.

The cat does not appear interested in the hard cat food that is on the balcony. It is just sitting there, talking to my cat thru the window occasionally and waiting patiently.

This is really weird. My balcony is about 6 ft off the ground, and it's free to leave at any time. I've lived here for 6 yrs now and I've never seen anything like this before. What could this cat want? Does it want to move in? Does my Harry owe it money? lol

I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. It keeps popping its head in my open balcony door, and then Harry rushes over there to bat it out. I don't want it to get hurt, or my Harry either.

Thanks everyone.

PS - I do not think this cat is lost as we have been a polar freeze here in calgary for about a week now, and the cat would not be alive if it didn't have a home. Today is the first temperate day we've had in a long time.

"Save the earth. It's the only planet with chocolate !!"
Old December 16th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Maybe the cat is cold and wants to warm up? Or maybe he is challenging your cat? Or curious?

Poor thing.:sad:
Old December 16th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Catlover2

I think if he had a home he would have gone home by now, unless he is owned by someone who just moved into your neighbourhood and got out and doesn't know how to get to his new home. Anyone you know about within a half mile who recently moved in? I think he just wants to get in a warm house. Can you give him some food and put out a cardboard box on its side with towel or torn up newspaper inside....at least it would give him some shelter from winds if faced toward balcony wall. If he's still there in the morning, check humane society to see if anyone's lost their cat. You may have to take him to the humane society. Hope you find the owner.
Old December 16th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Senior Contributor

You'd be surprised the kind of places that cats will find to keep warm during the incredibly cold winter months.

Did the cat eventually leave or were you able to give him warm shelter from the wind as catlover suggested?

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)