Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 12th, 2009, 11:49 AM

How much Salmon oil and Vit E ?

I am going crazy trying to find out what the right dose is or if Omega 3-6-9's would be better.

I've been away and appologize for just jumping into a question when I haven't contributed for like 6mts but I am getting frustrated. There is just too much info on the net to know for sure what is correct.

Autumn is going to be 10mts at the end of the month and I would guess around 60lbs. She was 56.5lbs the first week of November when we took her to the vet to get chipped and checked over....I need to buy a scale.

Anyhoo what is the best thing to give for the winter dry skin(it's just starting) and how much and how often. Her skin and coat was super shiny and soft during the warm months so I know it's the weather, that and I am itchy.

She's a Lab/Shepx from what I have been told and yes I will eventually properly introduce her with pics hopefully soon. We are still unpacking from our move in March.

Thanks and I do hope to be around more.

"All of the animals except for man know that the principle business of life is to enjoy it." ~ Samuel Butler

"The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals" ~ Anonymous
Old December 12th, 2009, 02:41 PM
-

This is the information that I have ...

Quote:
Salmon Oil

Salmon oil ( fish body oil, not cod liver oil) may be given daily as it is a good immune regulator, protects the kidneys, liver, heart and is also good for the skin.

For healthy dogs salmon oil (fish body oil, not liver oil) can be administered in doses of 1,000mg for every 20-30 pounds of body weight. If using salmon oil gel caps make sure that each 1,000mg capsule contains approximately 300mg of DHA and EPA combined. If what you are using has more than this, use proportionately less.

The therapeutic dosage for salmon oil (fish body oil not liver oil) is: 1,000 mg for every 10 pounds of body weight. Therapeutic doses are given in cases of kidney disease, for relief of inflammation due to arthritis, or allergies and to help regulate the immune system.

Vitamin E

Vitamin E may be given on a daily basis, but given every two to three days is also fine. The recommended dosage is: for small dogs 100 IU, medium sized dogs, 200 IU, and large dogs 400 IU.

I give my 60lb sibe two salmon oil capsules daily (one with each meal) and vitamin e (400 IU) 2 to 3 times a week. If you give too much salmon oil it will cause loose stools so just cut back the amount.