Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 6th, 2009, 11:37 PM

Keeping cat off kitchen counter/Ever try this ? ?

I have a 1 yr old male that loves to jump up on my kitchen counter when I'm not looking. I've been thinking about buying SSSCAT, and from what I read, the first version of the product had a noise alarm along with a blast of air. The "new" version of the product did away with the alarm, and just uses compressed air. Some people speculate the manufacturer did away with the alarm because it did the trick itself, and they really want to sell replacement cans of air at a high price.
That got me to thinking that one of those portable motion detector security alarms may work just as well, at a cheaper price. I've found a portable motion sensor alarm for $25.00 on Amazon.com that is supposed to have a 90 degree field and will emit a 105db alarm for thirty seconds, followed by a 30 second rest, then another 30 second alarm.
Has anyone ever used a portable alarm as a training aid ? Did it work ? Do you think a 30 second alarm @ 105 db will be enough to startle the cat ? Will the cat simply get used to the noise and hop on the counter anyway ? Any help would be appreciated, because this has really become a problem.
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Catlover2

I have used the SSSCAT and found it effective. I hadn't thought of using a motion-detector alarm. I would be afraid that it might hurt the cat's ears. And depending on the temperament of the cat it might get used to the sound and jump up anyway, but not likely.

A couple of suggestions for a cheaper solution: Crinkle up some aluminum foil to fit the counter top and anchor it down with tape so it doesn't slip off. A lot of cats don't like to walk on aluminum foil.

Another is to take some cardboard or poster board, and cut into pieces so that it fits perfectly on the bare countertop. Tape it all together and put some doublesided sticky tape on bottom side so it's anchored and doesn't slip off the counter. Cover top of cardboard with side-by-side strips of double-sided sticky tape. Most cats hate to walk on anything sticky.

If you can't be bothered to use something, wipe the counter with a "disinfectant wipe" like Sani-Wipe before food preparation.
Old December 7th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Senior Contributor

105 decibels is really loud, I wouldn't subject your cat to that. I like catlover2's ideas better, or else go with the SSSCAT. If you did use the SSSCAT, you probably wouldn't need to buy more than one can of air because cats are actually pretty quick learners (unless you keep leaving tasty things to eat on the counters).

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 7th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

I would stay away from the alarm...sounds far too loud.

The foil and the sticky tape are USUALLY great ideas.....though they did nothing for my cat and he seemed to find them fun. He only stopped going on the counters after several months of consistently plunking him back on the ground and telling him NO.

I would try the cheap ideas first, and then give the SSSCAT a shot......I doubt you'll need more than one or two cans. And I agree with sugarcatmom - make sure there aren't any temptaions left on the counter for him!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old December 8th, 2009, 02:22 AM

I have the Ssscat can minus the alarm. I've only had to buy one replacement can so far. It has worked for keeping Gizzy from opening my front closet, from peeing on the couch (along with some aluminum foil) and I think the counters too. I haven't seen him up there in ages but who knows what he does when I'm not around to watch him. Right now I have the can near the closet, turned off, and as long as he sees it he will avoid it like the plague!
Old December 8th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Just my, but I would avoid the alarm noise.
One time when I was away, I used a pet sitting service and the woman watching the cats got flustered and set the security system off. It continued blaring for quite some time before the alarm company finally remotely reset it for her. That was about 6 years ago and I STILL have to mute even the TV if a commercial for an alarm company comes on as it totally freaks the boys out.
Cats are very sensitive to noise and I would hate to see the kitty become paranoid about any loud noises as the result of a diversion devise meant to teach him something.

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old December 8th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Senior Contributor

My cats are not often on the counter,only when I open a can of cat-food
However,one of my kitties still sprays on occasion and at night before bed,I put foil to cover the whole counter and it works,day-time there is no need.
Old December 8th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Senior Contributor

I use plastic place mats with the double sided tape to train my cats. When I need it in another spot I just move the place mat...I use duct tape on the bottom to keep it stuck to where I want it.

This year I will be using them inside clothes basket around the Christmas tree,,,as I have 3 cats that have never seen a tree in the house before. Willie was trained this way 7 years ago so he won't be trying to climb the tree, thank goodness.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old December 8th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Senior Contributor

*hangs head in shame* ok......here's what my sis did with her 4 cats, she went to canadian tire and bought a garden gnome, its motion sensored and the noise it makes is a loud ummmm "fart"......it worked so well keeping them off the counters she bought 3 more for in her flower beds, they were constantly being used by dozens of stray cats as a litter box....this summer.......she found one single pile of cat dirt in her beds.....worked like a charm
Old December 11th, 2009, 10:30 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't considered that the alarm may be too loud. I've tried the foil and the sticky tape with no result. I'm down to SSScat unless I can find a gaseous garden gnome !