Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 16th, 2014, 12:47 AM

My 4 year old husky lab mix has a swollen lip

I noticed about 2 months ago that her lower lip was a bit swollen, but she is such a tough dog I didn't even think this could be an issue. It's not super noticeable and doesn't seem to really effect her. But lately it definitely looks a bit more puffy.

I took her to the vet however the vet wants to sedate her and take a sample, so she is getting back to me with a quote in the next few day, but she did mention something about auto immune. She wasn't very clear and I just wanted to get other pet owners or vets advice on this forum.

I attached some pictures, maybe if you had a similar experience you can put my mind at ease or even rush me to get on the vet for that quote.

Thanks
Attached Images

Old November 16th, 2014, 08:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Sorry, the photos are too blurry to see anything. Vet probably is your best bet. Hope you spend money for nothing.
Old November 16th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Does it looks like your dog could had bitten it mouth by mistake? Is the skin broken ?
Old November 16th, 2014, 04:25 PM

I think a fine needle aspirate would be a good idea, especially since this has been an issue for a couple months now. This is what it sounds like your vet will be doing. Your veterinarian will insert a needle into the area, they will then push any cells collected in the needle onto a slide. Then they look at the slide and determine what cells are present. The type of cells present will help the veterinarian to determine whether this is an abscess, benign mass, malignant mass, or it may show no abnormalities at all.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old November 16th, 2014, 09:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I think this is not good. Knowing whether it is something with the immune system versus something cancerous ( ) would be good to know. I hope it's not something really bad

Tags
allergies, auto immune, puffy lip, swollen lip