Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 15th, 2006, 12:43 PM

Question Introducing kitten to current house cat - advice please

I just adopted a beautiful 3 month old kitten from the humane society. I brought him home last night and set him up in an empty bedroom with litter food and water. I have a 3 yr old spayed female at home already. My female was raised with twoo ther cats and lived with another (different cat) for a year and a half. I have been letting the kitten out for 10mins every once and a while to let them get used to each other but my female continues to growl and hiss. As soon as I put the kitten away my female will play with me etc... relatively like normal. The kitten is very laid back and very respectful of her space, he really wants to play with her.

Anyways basically I am wondering how long others think that it will take for my older cat to get used to the kitten. Are there any techniques that you have used that worked in a similar situation. Advice?
Thank you
Old June 15th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Senior Contributor

I've introduced lots of foster kittens to my two resident cats. I find that adult females can be much grumpier than males.

What I do at first is put a gate between kitten and cat, so the cat can see the kitten but not have worry about it getting physical.Give each cat treats on either side of the gate to make positive associations for your cat.

Just let her watch and observe the kitten while you play with it. Also, take the kitten out and let your cat into the kitten's room, so she can get a good smell of it.

Since your cat did live with other cats, she should come around. It could take a couple weeks. Don't rush it but don't let the kitten jump on her or bug her for now while she's still very leery of it. Hissing and growling is normal at first, but not a really big deal unless she actually tries to attack the kitten.