Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Puppy health

Old May 23rd, 2014, 11:58 AM

drinking lots of water

My pup was drinking 8 cups of water at 10 weeks, always has drank lots since I got him at 9 weeks, also pees lots. I realize pups pee a lot, but every 2-5 min. from 9 -11 weeks, now is 13 weeks and can go 5 min. I got his urine tested, all good.
He is 13 weeks now, 26 lbs. and about 9 cups of water. Does that sound like to much to you? He is a leonberger.
Anyone experience this?
Old May 24th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningbeat View Post
My pup was drinking 8 cups of water at 10 weeks, always has drank lots since I got him at 9 weeks, also pees lots. I realize pups pee a lot, but every 2-5 min. from 9 -11 weeks, now is 13 weeks and can go 5 min. I got his urine tested, all good.
He is 13 weeks now, 26 lbs. and about 9 cups of water. Does that sound like to much to you? He is a leonberger.
Anyone experience this?
That sounds like a lot to me. And also the frequency of pee is not right - that may have something to do with the amount of water he is drinking, not that something is wrong with the pee.

There is a thing called diabetes insipidous (sp?) where they need to drink continuously because they are missing a hormone. I might first try some dietary changes - what are you feeding?

Whatever this is, I would pursue a "fix", since it's not normal.
Old May 24th, 2014, 06:40 PM
Senior Contributor

http://dogcare.dailypuppy.com/excess...pies-3255.html
Old May 25th, 2014, 10:11 AM
Senior Contributor

The intake sounds extreme to me also. I know he's a giant breed, but it's still outta wack.
Old May 25th, 2014, 01:37 PM

pup drinking lots

He had blood work done, all fine except it showed he was a bit anemic, but he also had giardia when I got him. Which has been dealt with. Not a diabetic.

He had his urine tested, was a few white blood cells in it, was put on antibiotic for bladder infection just to be sure.

He seems healthy otherwise, I was wondering if all the antibiotics he has been on so young in age and being treated for giardia, has made this happen?????

Barking dog, that was a good article, thanks

Last edited by runningbeat; May 25th, 2014 at 01:41 PM. Reason: add something to it
Old May 26th, 2014, 03:32 PM
Senior Contributor

I would be concerned that the giardia hasn't resolved, or there may be something weird like a tick disease, with the anemia. Maybe there is something dietary going on. Certain abx can cause anemia, but it sounds like he has been off of any meds for a bit.

There is no standard test for diabetes insipidous. I would ask for a referral to an internal medicine vet if an answer isn't found with your regular vet.