Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior dogs

Old March 24th, 2014, 04:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Well I bought the melatonin last night. 3mg caps, so I'll put one on her dinner tonight. The article says 6 mg for dogs over 30 lbs, but I gave Halo a Benadryl once and I thought she was dead she was so sound asleep. So I think I'll just try one and see what happens to her. If she's okay with one I'll go up to two. I'll give them with dinner because I gather they are supposed to also make you tired. Wish me luck. I bought her a probiotic also to try to help with the yeast. Gave her that this morning.
I meant to respond to this earlier!

I am a night owl, have been most of my life, but lately chronically sleep deprived. I have 1/2 mg melatonin pills here for my 20 pound Jazz. I sometimes take them to try to get myself to sleep earlier, and they wipe me out jut at that amount. I don't know how people (and dogs) take some of these high doses recommended for cancer, cushings, etc. I guess you work up to it.

It I supposed to make a person sleep, so if given only once a day, it should be given at night. But since it can lower cortisol, they recommend twice a day I guess. If you find it intolerable because of sleepiness, you might only be able to give this at night.

HOWEVER, I was looking up some stuff a couple day ago about phosphatidylserine recently, by accident really, I wanted phosphatidylcholine (which is supposed to help with ulcers maybe), though it shows promise for anti-anxiety (my girl has separation anxiety), but I digress.... The phosphatidylserine is supposed to be a potent cortisol blocker. I think that shows promise for use during the day, but I couldn't find any anectodal reports of its use in cushing's on the web. I found an overview of different products here, in case you want to look further: http://www.cushingsdiary.com/cushing...se-natural.htm

I don't know about the yeast. Skin issues often are helped by a little extra zinc and some biotin. I think when I used some choline on jazz before, her dark skin lightened up, which I thought was weird, so maybe if the melatonin helps, you will see that improve, or if you try the PS.
Old March 24th, 2014, 02:45 PM
Senior Contributor

You are a wealth of information MaxaLisa. Thank you. Interesting site.

I have been giving Halo the melatonin (3mg) once at night so far. Of course who knows what it is doing. I will try her on one in the morning and one at night starting later this week probably. During week days she sleeps all day at my office anyhow so tiredness won't be an issue.

Her skin is really improving since putting her on the Acidophilus (I think that's what I bought). It is a fairly strong pill and I was giving her two at one time, but I think now I will give her one in the morning and one at night also. Don't really know how much I should be giving her, for people it says 1-3 pills, so..... But, I really see a difference in her belly skin. She had some terrible red blotches going on that were quite ugly. I had been putting a bit of Panolog cream on the spots but that is so expensive I only used it a couple times. Since starting the acidophilus the spots are drying up and shrinking and not angry red anymore. Even her back yeasty flakes are diminishing. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but maybe not.

Oh, and I also switched her back to raw again. She has had raw before but she would stop eating it and switch back to kibble every now and then, so I decided enough was enough. She is eating healthier now, and not being given the choice of going back to kibble. Whatever, it seems to be collectively improving what is ultimately going to be a losing battle!

I'm just thrilled though that she is responding somewhat to whatever it is that I'm doing.
Old March 24th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Forgot to say, the Phosphatidylserine is interesting. My last girl had extreme separation anxiety (so I feel for you), and in fact Halo does now also as she's gotten old she absolutely freaks if you leave her alone. Do you know where one buys that? Is it a health food store thing or a vet thing??
Old March 24th, 2014, 02:48 PM
Senior Contributor

So great to hear a positive update - this is fantastic news. that it continues!
Old March 30th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Well I just have to say at about two weeks now, Halo looks wonderful. Her coat is so shiny and clean. The dandruff is all but gone (a good bath would clear that up but no time right now), the itchies are all but gone. It's so wonderful. That's the probiotics at work on the yeast infection. Not sure what the melatonin is doing, but it's certainly not hurting so we'll just carry on with that, it's dirt cheap ($5.99 a bottle).

I have to say, it feels great to have been pro-active and trusted my friends here and my gut to go forward and try something "outside" the box. Not recommending that people not see the vet or trust the vet, but wow, the stuff the vet recommended did nothing for Halo like this. I am just so pleased right now.

I understand that nothing will FIX Halo, she's old, there's no fixing that. But I get comments now that she looks like a puppy, and she sure wasn't getting that a month ago.
Old March 30th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

Wow that is good news DD.

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old March 30th, 2014, 08:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That's utterly awesome, DD! So glad she's doing so well!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 30th, 2014, 09:08 PM
Senior Contributor

That is great news DD !
Old March 30th, 2014, 11:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Ha, I went to your profile to see a picture of Halo, but there isn't one! I don't have a pic of my dog here either though

This is great news, so very happy to hear it! Just outstanding, I'm so glad that being proactive paid off. Sometimes we experiment and it doesn't work, but looks like you hit it right away, yay!

I tripped over this the other day and thought of Halo: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=1487 Maybe the combination of the melatonin and the probiotics are helping with the coat. WHATEVER it is, just keep doing it!
Old March 31st, 2014, 08:30 AM
Senior Contributor

DD has posted photos of Halo here.