Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 14th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I'm a softy

Unhappy Worried about the ramifications

About the next president choosing a dog. It has been on the news a lot that the next first family in the U.S. Will be getting a dog, and they have narrowed their choices down to a portugese water dog or.... a LABRADOODLE! I guess they want a larger dog and their one daughter has allergies so they want a "hypoallergenic" dog. I am just so worried that if they pick a labradoodle that will just increse this uhmm "breed's?" popularity and there will be people popping up all over the place breeding their labs to poodles or vise versa and people lining up to get them without thought because there will be one in the white house. I cannot imagine how many similar dogs will be killed in the same amount of time. Wouldn't it be great if they would rescue a dog, therefore promoting that? I am very very sure that there is many similar dogs waiting and would be easy for them to find. Otherwise I guess I hope they go with the portie. Just wondered what other peoples thought on this was, because it has been in my head for awhile...
Old January 14th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I think there has been a lot of discussions on this issue and I am hoping the First Family will consider this before they adopt. It would be so nice if they found a dog that had some of the hypoallergenic properties at a rescue or shelter.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 14th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Wouldn't it just be great if they fostered a dog first? If not, there are rescues for the breeds that they are interested in.
Old January 14th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Wait until they find out that their labradoodle really isn't "hypoallergenic" like it has been touted.

Bet they could find a nice standard poodle available through rescue.
Old January 14th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Senior Contributor

On the news the other night it was said that they went to a breeder and picked out a GSD puppy...Not sure how true it is though...They showed the breeder with a pup....

I see SOMEONE didn't do their research..Daughter with allergies and a GSD..Hmmmmmm....
Old January 14th, 2009, 09:37 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b View Post
On the news the other night it was said that they went to a breeder and picked out a GSD puppy...Not sure how true it is though...They showed the breeder with a pup....

I see SOMEONE didn't do their research..Daughter with allergies and a GSD..Hmmmmmm....
I think that was the Messiah's running mate, Vice President-elect Biden...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 14th, 2009, 10:29 PM

Why worry about something you have no control over?

Whatever they choose, there will be people second guessing and doubting them...

I think he has MANY other more serious concerns to worry about than the kind of dog he will get.
Old January 15th, 2009, 12:03 AM
I'm a softy

I am not worried about his concerns at all. I am worried that he would get a labradoodle and then there will be a million doodlethisandthats bred needlessly. People will be wanting them and people will be breeding them. And labradoodles cannot be bred responsibly. I think it is a very serious concern! the last thing this world needs is more doodles on purpose, there are enough being killed everyday. If he gets one I think it is going to become very popular, byb's everywhere will have a litter. Then the pup grows up and chews a shoe ( or whatever the excuse for the day is..) and then guess where that pup ends up.. I think there could be a lot of reprocussions to him picking a labradoodle. And what happens to innocent puppies and dogs is a much bigger concern to me than any other of Obama's decisions but that is just my opinion.. I am Canadian after all. And I like dogs a lot more than I like politics! heehee. It is kind of like what happened with dalmations after the movie, and other similar 'fad' breeds. But a labradoodle is not a breed and therefore cannot possibly be bred responsibly. It should not be bred PERIOD. There is already a curly coat retreiver!
Old January 15th, 2009, 11:48 AM

I am with bubbles007. Totally agree.
Old January 15th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles007 View Post
Why worry about something you have no control over?

Whatever they choose, there will be people second guessing and doubting them...

I think he has MANY other more serious concerns to worry about than the kind of dog he will get.
You are right, there are many more serious concerns, however when you are in dog rescue, then this matter is very close to a person's heart. As this forum is a PET forum, with many members who are actively involved in rescue to clean up the messes of dump people who get dogs impulsively based on popular movies and celebrities, I think it is a very relevant issue.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 15th, 2009, 04:33 PM

It concerns me, basically because he is such a popular personality right now and the media is covering so much on him and this dog. As someone who studied journalism, I can say the dog story makes a great human interest story and shows that the Obamas are a "normal" family and he is a doting dad to his daughters. If he had not mentioned the darned dog in the acceptance speech, I don't think we would be hearing so much about this.

It is bad enough that dogs are seen as "fashion accessories", now they have to get political. Regardless what he picks, he is doomed. Go with a purebred, he didn't live up to his mutt comments. Get a dog from a breeder, then he didn't get the shelter dog. The mixed "designer" dogs make me sick. I just wish he could take this an opportunity to educate and say that he is getting the girls a poodle mix. I fear for Labs right now. I won't see the Marley movie, but I'm reading so much about people wanting yellow labs. These dogs are being so overbred. And then to mix them with poodles. It is so sad. The back yard breeders will have a field day, and the poodles and labs will suffer so much.

I will say that we did not see a huge increase in the popularity of Scottish Terriers after the Bush family got Barney (and then Beazley). Some of this I attribute to the Bush's less popular status and not having children in the White House. My vote would be for the Portugese water dog. Maybe Ted Kennedy could "gift" the girls one of these. Realistically, any dog could cause the child issues with allergies and asthma. Even if they really want a dog, not every family is suited to have one--it is a fact of life and sometimes parents have to be the bad guys and say "no". I wish people would not buy the load of bull about hypoallergenic dogs.
Old January 15th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I think that was the Messiah's running mate, Vice President-elect Biden...
Thanks for correcting me hazel..

I guess I should pay attention to the news and wait to make my coffee....
Old January 15th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I'm a softy

ScottieDog I agree!!! and thank you lovehimies!! I am not concerned about his politics whatsoever... really I am sure he'll do a great job. THIS decision is an important one. The story about what dog he is going to pick is a major one and a lot of people are folloeing it. On Good morning america they even had a portie and a labradoodlewhatever and "tested" them to see which one would be best suited to a life in the white house! Therefore I think there could be a lot of ramifications as far as dogs are concerned.. as I stated before, I am worried..

YES labs are being over bred. I have one and I love them a lot. When I decided it was finally time to get my long wanted yellow lab, I couldn't believe what I saw. I wanted one like the ones I had come to know at dog shows.. But out there are labs that people call purebred ( yeah right!) and they are tall skinny dogs with long skinny tails that are cariied high.. When I take my lab in public people ask me all the time what she is crossed with! And this is a dog that has 9 points toward a canadian champion! She is pretty close to the breed standard, she is 21.5" tall and people this she is way to small for a lab, actually that is within the breed standard, they should not be tall and skinny. They have been overbred so much that they don't actually properly represent the breed anymore, in looks and in temperment. sad sad sad...

I think that this could lead to many people wanting a labrainsertwhateverooodlehere, and this CANNOT be bred properly! there will be people all over the place with a somethinglikealab and a somethinglikeapoodle and they will be breeding them, then what? They will be bred, and puppies and dogs just like them will be killed the same day, then what will happen to these fad "designer" dogs?? No one is thinking of the dogs...

I agree I hate that they are going on about "hypoallergenic" GOODNESS you cannot even be sure with a labradoodle if they will shed or not! They either need to get a purebred from some amazing breeder, or not care about the breed and rescue, they need to think about what this choice means to all the other dogs out there in the world. Being a lab lover it scares me that they would want to mix in poodle, and poodles are nice already why not get a poodle? Why screw up the poodle with a lab? Doesn't make ANY sense!
Old January 15th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lUvMyLaB<3 View Post
I think that this could lead to many people wanting a labrainsertwhateverooodlehere, and this CANNOT be bred properly! there will be people all over the place with a somethinglikealab and a somethinglikeapoodle and they will be breeding them, then what? They will be bred, and puppies and dogs just like them will be killed the same day, then what will happen to these fad "designer" dogs?? No one is thinking of the dogs
Trust me when I say this will not lead to everyone wanting one...People have been getting this breed for a couple of years now when the designer breed came out.....So it won't be something new....

There are so many "doodles" happening.

Boxerdoodles, Germandoodle, Borderdoodle. It goes on.
Old January 15th, 2009, 09:14 PM

Found this on the local kijiji.... A real bargain at $2,200!!!! wtf....

True Australian Labradoodles! the Obama girls know a great puppy! 6 chocolate females available. Guaranteed non-shedding, guaranteed adorable! Soft, cuddly devoted family members. Call ......

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old January 15th, 2009, 09:26 PM
I'm a softy

exactly busterboo! just wait until the Obama girls have one and many more people want one, then people all over the country will go WOW you mean all I need is a lab and a poodle and I can make how much on a litter of 10 puppies? WHOA and all I need is 2 dogs and a bag of wal mart dog kibble and I am ready to go! I know this "breed" of doodleing has been around awhile but I think it is BAD already, very very bad, so I think this kind of attention will make it sooo much worse... goodness gracious... $2200.. cuz it is something special??? I know how you can get the same dog for next to nothing! GRRRRRRRR!!!! yes this fad of breeding two dogs and not making a MUTT but giving it a funy name like oodle and roxer, and malshi, and puggle, make it fancy and expensive PUHLEASE! does anyone else not feel the NEED to strangle anyone? just like ring their necks??????? Cuz I have this over powering URGE too........ GAH!!
Old January 16th, 2009, 11:05 AM

I have seriously mixed feelings about this. If he weren't going to be such a public figure, no one would care all that much. But because he and his family can now have almost zero privacy, they'll be open to discussion and questioning so intense that most people wouldn't be able to tolerate it. Goes with the job - yet I still feel sorry for the girls, being subjected to such scrutiny. So, as another poster pointed out, any choice they make (about almost anything they do) will be condemned somehow. They're going to be living essentially in a glass house.

I'm not a fan of these designer breeds either. The trend bothers me, and I think many of them are just plain silly. But animals have been crossbred and hybridized throughout human history. My daughter owns a Morab mare. My dearly-departed Duck Toller's breed resulted from crosses among several types of retriever and maybe even spaniels and setters. I think the issue is mainly connected to the social-status aspects of designer doggies, and the foolish names people are giving to these so-called "breeds", especially the ones with Poodle in them. Labradoodle. Terri-poo. Cockapoo. Yuck!

I'm not so sure there will be a rise in "doodle" popularity - not if the average dog owner is confronted with the exorbitant prices being charged for these mutts with their cutesy names. Who can afford $2200?? Let's hope this turns out to be the case.

It will be interesting to follow this story, anyhow. Good topic for a thread!
Old January 16th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I'm a softy

yup I have a cross bred horse also, however not really the same thing as there are not horses being killed everyday by the thousands because they cannot find homes. Horses thankfully enough also only have one baby at a time , not 12 or 13 like lab, and are not being bred in mills, unsatitary ways, and sick.. I understand that breeds were crossed to make new breeds, however now we have an overpopulation problem ,and hopefully know that we know better we can do better..

let's hope it wont make a rise in popularity, however it sure did with dalmations, and chihuahua's, ect... oh and don't worry about the cost I am sure there are many mills and byb's that will happily only charge 300 for this new amazing "breed"... scary It isn't so much my concern with judging their decision, I would question anyone thinking about getting this kind of dog really, it is just that my concern is what will happen to the dogs because of their decision, and because how I feel about dogs it is probably #1 on my list...
Old January 16th, 2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lUvMyLaB<3 View Post
yup I have a cross bred horse also, however not really the same thing as there are not horses being killed everyday by the thousands because they cannot find homes.
Sadly, this not the case. There are active slaughterhouses in Canada, through which thousands of doomed equines pass each year - many from the US, since horses can no longer be killed there for human consumption. But they CAN be exported to Canadian "plants" and processed here. CBC did a story on this situation in 2008 which might be worth reading about. http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/...slaughter.html

My Morab's sire is an elderly Arab stallion rescued from an auction in the late 1990s so the meat buyers wouldn't get him after his owner died. I also had another Arab stallion - pure Polish bloodlines - who had been through the meat market in Pennsylvania but was saved when a compassionate buyer bid on him rather than see him go to the stockyard. He had been used to sire show ponies until his owner became ill and couldn't care for him anymore.

One of the victims of slaughter was a former Kentucky Derby winner. Others have been national breed show champions. Ex-racehorses and unwanted pets are shipped for meat in great numbers. They are sometimes fed to carnivores in zoos, as well as being eaten by people in countries where the meat is considered a delicacy. Ironically, horsemeat still finds its way into canned pet food. Some of those "meat by-products" don't specify what kind of meat - and it's not always beef.

Don't want to derail the thread but ...
Old January 17th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by faranya View Post
Sadly, this not the case. There are active slaughterhouses in Canada, through which thousands of doomed equines pass each year - many from the US, since horses can no longer be killed there for human consumption. But they CAN be exported to Canadian "plants" and processed here. CBC did a story on this situation in 2008 which might be worth reading about. http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/...slaughter.html

My Morab's sire is an elderly Arab stallion rescued from an auction in the late 1990s so the meat buyers wouldn't get him after his owner died. I also had another Arab stallion - pure Polish bloodlines - who had been through the meat market in Pennsylvania but was saved when a compassionate buyer bid on him rather than see him go to the stockyard. He had been used to sire show ponies until his owner became ill and couldn't care for him anymore.

One of the victims of slaughter was a former Kentucky Derby winner. Others have been national breed show champions. Ex-racehorses and unwanted pets are shipped for meat in great numbers. They are sometimes fed to carnivores in zoos, as well as being eaten by people in countries where the meat is considered a delicacy. Ironically, horsemeat still finds its way into canned pet food. Some of those "meat by-products" don't specify what kind of meat - and it's not always beef.

Don't want to derail the thread but ...
I have to agree. I am in horse country too. Many, many horses are killed every year here. If they can't race or breed, they are a vet and feed bill. This is just like the greyhound industry.
It is a disposable society and it makes me sick. I have placed many of these horses but it is a drop in the bucket so to speak. Many are happy as trail horses, if lucky. There are not enough homes for them, especially now. this can be a bit overwhelming at times, foals are due and new breeding at the same time. Most breeders go for the "foal heat" cycle, 9 day's after foaling they come into heat again and breed to keep to the schedule.
Where do the unwanted go? Just where faranya said.
Sorry, now I am hijacking too.
Old January 17th, 2009, 11:09 AM

In other words, companion animals are viewed as disposable by far too many people. So in that sense, unwanted horses are in the same situation as the many homeless cats and dogs sitting in death-row cages all across the continent. Species and size are the main differences (and, of course, their value as a food source).

Therefore, I think the issue is actually relevant to the thread. I'd love to see the Obama family check out local animal shelters before making their final choice. If this poses a security risk, then there's always Petfinder to help out. But ultimately it is their decision and it's a personal preference.
Old January 17th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I'm a softy

ok that is not what I meant... yikes... don't wanna get on the horse thing.. but i see this as a different situation entirely, yes there are bad bad horse things happening BUT they are not the norm... however every city and town has hundreds or more dogs killed a year and the only reason is that there is no home for them. The horses for slaughter is very different, disgusting and horrible yes.. With any animal, birds, monkeys, rodents, cats, dogs, there are going to be bad people.. and it needs to stop yes, but i don;t think that justifies breeding more dogs... I think the dog problem is bigger, and seeing someone that is about to make a decision that could make it worse is scary that's my point..
Old January 17th, 2009, 07:12 PM

And it is a point well worth considering. The throwaway-pet culture seems to have grown. Unscrupulous "breeders" (and I use the term with reluctance) don't really care about the welfare of the puppies or kittens they produce. It's all about the money.

Here in NS, a certain purebred cat breeder keeps advertising mature female cats on Kijiji. Once they've passed their prime kitten-producing years, then they're no longer useful so they get the boot. I'm sure this person wants the best for the cats but it seems really unfair to subject them to this kind of relocation. After all, they tried their best to do what the breeder wanted. Just because a pet is a purebred doesn't guarantee it won't end up being bartered like a secondhand suit. This applies to cats and dogs, horses and snakes, rabbits and hamsters ... and on and on.

IMO, there are two options here:

- adopt a shelter pet that appears to suit the situation
- purchase a healthy puppy of choice from a reputable breeder

In both cases, the animal ends up in a great home and won't show up in the "Pets for Sale" classifieds a few months down the road - or worse.

There's a really good thread elsewhere on this site concerning the so-called designer breeds, and I think it makes for disturbing and enlightening reading. http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=12240

Brenda

Last edited by faranya; January 17th, 2009 at 07:13 PM. Reason: typo