Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old July 7th, 2009, 09:19 AM

LOST/ MISSING Flame Point Siamese Cat

Shai disappeared from our property on the evening of Sunday June 28, 2009. He has been an indoor cat for his 9 years until this year we began letting the cats outside WITH us. We live on 3 acres surrounding by the river, woods and ravines in Bayham County Ontario bordering the counties of Oxford and Malahide. The dogs had put a hole in the screen of the back door and after a heavy rain, I opened the door thinking the cats wouldnt go out in the rain. A few hours later, Shai could not be found. He does explore our property but always remains on it and comes when called. This time he did not. We have put flyers in everyones mailbox within a 2 'country' block radius of us, up at the community mailboxes in 2 adjoining towns of Richmond and Straffordville, grocery stores, gas stations, pizza shops, pet food stores, vets in Aylmer + Tillsonburg, Cranberry Kennels and on 2 radio stations. I also have an ad running on Kijiji, Twitter, petfinder and now here. I dont know where else to look. He had a pink leather collar on with bells and a red rabies tag. His name and phone number is scratched in the back. He may not have the collar on now. He has been recently diagnosed with slight crystals and is on meds and special food. He is my baby and I am very distraught over his disappearance. Any other advice on where to look for him or post, please advise. I desperately want him home. We have walked/searched the farm fields around us that we can(corn fields and such are futile), the woods and ravines behind us and informed a local camp that canoes the river. I call for him constantly and have his favourite blanket and food outside. If you see him or heard of a siting, we would appreciate knowing. We really dont have any idea which way he could have headed from here.
Old July 7th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Hate to say it but have you called the roads department or Animal Control, whoever picks up deceased animals off the road.

I would go into the usual, you can leave tuna/salmon out, check early morning and early evening. Leave something out that has your smell on it, or even his litter box. But these are tips for cats that are indoor cats/scared and won't venture far from home.

You let your cat outside. So he is not afraid and would come home when he wanted.

Good luck in finding. Keep us posted.

ACO22
Old July 7th, 2009, 08:13 PM

Shai is a beautiful kitty and I hope you get him back soon. I imagine you've checked your house and any surrounding buildings very carefully. You've done just about everything.

I don't have outdoor cats, but I know of a friend whose cat was shut in a neighbour's garage for a few days. An outdoor cat near wooded areas can face a number of hazards, besides the regular outdoor dangers like cars, trucks. ACO22's advice is important, do check with your town's animal control or roads service, so you can at least eliminate one possibility, and get on with your search with a more serene mind.

I'll keep you and Shai in my thoughts.
Old July 8th, 2009, 11:10 AM

Put out his litter pan last night + his favourite blanket off my bed+ my clothes+area rug his buddy Khepera lies on as well as his dish with food in it. Got neighbour north of us to answer door finally last night. He spotted Shai a week ago on edge of his property and woods so we now know which direction to look. This is good.
Shai IS an indoor cat. He is only in the 'yard' WITH us watching him. When he wanders down to the river, we can SEE him & watch closely+ follow and he never ventures far from us. He talks to us the whole time. When I want him to come back up to the house, I call him, he answers and races me back. They are not allowed to come and go as they please for this very reason-too many hazards. Unfortunately the dogs have sliced holes in the screen of the terrace doors & thats how he got out. We had a torrential rain and I honestly thought opening the door was safe-no one would venture out in that. I was soaked from working in the rain, was making dinner and opened the door for a breeze. I saw Shai in the kitchen and never gave it a thought as I was right beside the door. What cat likes the rain or goes in it if they dont have to? I finished dinner and no longer was watching the door- forgot it was open. It has been opened before in these same conditions and no one ventures out. My mistake was I forgot about it & the rain had stopped. It was when I heard the barn swallows out front by the barn yelling and knew a cat was there. It was another kitty Shu. I picked him up, brought him in and closed the door. I entered my room and Shai was not on my bed where he ALWAYS is. That was an hour later after the door had been opened. I have contacted my municipal office, there is no AC out here for cats BUT I have contacted the dog pounds anyway in case they get a call. None around here take in cats. We drive the entire area daily for miles and he is not on any road. We walked the woods edge and corn fields last night behind the neighbour and will do so again tonight as well as hit the next neighbour(who owns the corn fields)
Old July 8th, 2009, 11:44 AM

Good news about the neighbour having spotted Shai. . I apologize if I seemed accusatory when I posted about the risks for an outdoor cat, I was only typing thoughts that crossed my mind. Sometimes words only don't convey true feelings.

From your description, something may have spooked your cat and caused him to act out of character. A mouse, a squirrel, even another cat on HIS property may have caused him to bolt outside in spite of the rain.

About the food, if you put any out for him, don't leave it sitting there, only put it when you're around. It may attract other animals even cats, and there could be territorial issues that would make it harder for Shai.

I hope you get your kitty back soon. Those days and nights of waiting, hoping and looking are hell, I know, but don't give up hope. I once had a cat, a semi-feral rescued cat, who bolted out and was gone for 3 weeks. She came home though, and we had almost stopped hoping. We figured that she must have remembered home was more comfortable and the food was more regular. Sending you and Shai lots of mojo.
Old July 8th, 2009, 01:28 PM
banned user

Many years ago this happened to one of my cats...she was spooked by a storm and she was gone for almost a month.
When she arrived back home she was so thin...and she was just full of pine needles...we really don't know what happened but have always suspected she got treed and couldn't get back down.
Don't give up hope! Animals are amazing at finding their way home......
Old July 9th, 2009, 08:44 AM

Thats ok, no need to appologize..I am on edge myself and filled with guilt. The fact is if it werent for me opening the silly door in the first place, Shai would be on heating pad on my bed as I type and THAT is something I am having a great deal of difficulty with. He still is not home and no sign. I was so filled with a new hope when the neighbor said he has spotted him a week ago because that would have been when he disappeared. He had not been out and certainly not out of our sight prior to that. What fears me is when we searched the edge of the corn field, there were dog tracks along with deer and we were not sure of the other tracks. Either it was a cat perhaps running as the pads looks spread and you could see nail marks in the sand or it was a skunk?..not a coon. We did find a grey hairball on these tracks...which could be if it was him, perhaps eating rodents. Needless to say, it was large dog tracks I did not like. This corn field belongs to the NEXT neighbour and he has a large Bouvier. IF the Bouvier came across Shai...I dont know what the outcome would be. We have 2 dogs that are part Bouvier/Lab and Shai has never liked them but I have noticed when outside, he talks to them and rubs on them. Inside he hisses if they come near him. What his reaction would be with a strange dog outside I dont know. I am hoping it would be to flee. I am thinking that because it was close to dusk when he ventured that perhaps it was the new experience of fireflies that may have kept him away? And then if they got into that corn field, he could have followed the rows...trying to figure out how he would have thought. He is an inquisitive kitty...
I know what you mean about the food. The last thing I want to do is be attracting the coons especially. The first night my own dogs ran around to the terrace and ate it up before we knew it. Now I only have a few kibbles in the dish on the table but so far they have not been touched. I just make sure I keep calling his name and if he has lost his way, perhaps he will hear it and it will help guide him back...Thanks for the thoughts and support. I appreciate it..
Old July 10th, 2009, 08:01 PM

Just hoping that your Shai comes home soon.
Old July 10th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Siamese are very intelligent cats, please keep trying to find him late at night and early morning. Take a flashlight at night and shine it into crevices and up trees to look for the reflection of his eyes. You never know.

Keep us posted.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 11th, 2009, 07:36 AM

Well we spoke to the owner of the corn fields last evening and he says that they have not seen Shai. They got the flyer and kept a look out. good news is their Bouvier will not kill a cat so my nightmares that Shai had a run in with their dog can be laid to rest. He says the strays congregate down in the gullies and that they make their way out of there in the fall. Well , thats a bit hopeful I guess. At least its some idea of where he can be. Today we are under severe thunderstorm watches so not venturing back in there now but we will hike back in when we can. These gullies have 'walls' for sides so walking on them wet in out of the question...
The other day I was uploading some images of the crew especially Shai and came across an image of him that to me was so ironic. Last year I think it was, Shai is on the cover of a book entitled 'Houdini' by TJ Banks..a book about a flamepoint siamese that gets lost. It is about his adventures on trying to find his way back home to the girl that loves him....The picture they used was one I took of him sleeping in my studio window..its in my album
Old July 12th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thanks for the update, I only wish it was better news

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 12th, 2009, 06:41 PM
I'm a softy

Dont worry he will come home! He has been outside before so is comfortable out there, he is just probably exploring all the places he saw with only his eyes before. Keep doing what you are doing, and try the flashlight idea. Put down some flour around the tuna or whatever you leave out so you can see if there are any paw prints in it when you check on it, then you know if he has been sneaking back around.

When I was a kid, my cat took off for 3 months, and a couple years ago my daughters cat excaped through the patio door ( thanks kids!) and was gone for 3 weeks, no sign of her, then one day I saw her run past the deck, I have never moved so fast in my life, I snatched her as she ran by, she did not want to be caught!

There is a realy good chance he is just fine and just is not good and ready to come in yet, it is fun out there! keep looking up, he will be back!
Old July 12th, 2009, 10:03 PM

I had a look at that book, Houdini, the cover picture is beautiful. I assume this is the one you mean, since you mention he was asleep. http://www.flipkart.com/houdini-t-j-...573-n2x3f62m2b

Perhaps someone took him in. Did you mention a reward on your flyer? BTW, if you did/do, don't mention the amount of money you plan to offer.

Is the weather nicer in your area today? Here there has been some improvement (on Montreal island). Good luck! I'm sending you and Shai all the mojo I can muster.
Old July 15th, 2009, 08:47 AM

I wisdh I had some good news to share but sadly he still is not home. The other cats are starting to take over his 'spots' and that is bothersome. I keep calling in case he is within earshout searching is almost pointless. We are surrounded by fields-corn, grain, hay....much too high to see more then a few feet in from the road. The woods are thick with underbrush and SO many spots that he could easily be hiding in, I dont get far. I put notices in everyones mailbox and visited doors within a few kilometers of us-on both sides of the river so chances are he is not at anyones home. That is if they are honest and would return him. But I will not give hope on him. My fear is still the wildlife he no doubt is encountering out there and I hope he has his smarts about him.
Yes, Mood, that is the book indeed. The first edition had a different cat on the cover but when they released the new edition, they approached me on using that image of Shai. It apparently has been helping with the sale of the book.. The weather has been ok here but the nights unseasonably cool. Knowing he likes his heating pad, I had hoped the cooling nights would bring him home...
Old July 15th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Keep the faith. I know it is hard but don't give up.
Old July 18th, 2009, 11:43 AM

Sorry that he's not back yet, but I've heard of cats returning home after close to 2 months. I'm still rooting for you and Shai. Don't give up hope, do keep going outside your house in the evening and calling his name.
Old July 18th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Senior Contributor

artsofeden,I am sorry your beautiful cat is not back home yet:sad:
I know it's easy to say,but please don't feel guilty,we all make mistakes.
I know my cats would not go outside if it's stormy,so I would probably have done the same as you.
Please do not give up hope
Old July 18th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Senior Contributor

I hope you find him. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

ACO22
Old July 18th, 2009, 06:27 PM
-

Sorry to hear about Shai ......you are doing everything you can and I hope you are reunited soon.
Old July 21st, 2009, 05:36 AM

Don't give up hope...my prayers are with you
Such a beautiful cat!
Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:23 AM

Im so very pleased AND happy to be able to post that as of 6am this morning, Shai is now home! As usual I had a bad night and got up just before 6. I first looked out the patio and then out front to the courtyard and there he was on the table. He ran away when I opened the door but quickly returned hen I spoke his name. He approached me cautiously but in no time was rubbing against me. I picked him up and quickly brought him in all in tears of course. He is excrusiatingly thin and I made him up some pablum with baby beef broth(just happened to have it on hand from fostering some baby robins a few months ago). He ate and went right to his heating pad on my bed but wont let me leave him or my room. As I type, he is on my lap curled up sleeping..

Thank you to everyone for your moral support during this incredibly difficult time. I dont ever want to go thru it again and send my best wishes and Guardian Angels to everyone else that has a loved furchild missing.
During my 3 weeks of searching for him, I did come across a few websites that offered valuable information that I would like to share..
Personality clues-
http://www.bringpetshome.org/lost-pe...lost-cats.aspx
This one is a MUST read with lots of links to determine what your cat may do-
http://sonic.net/~pauline/psych.html

Caron & Shai
Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:26 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

OMG that is wonderful news! you brought tears to my eyes! its nice to know Shai will have a nice cozy warm bed tonight and that must make you feel soo blessed! Good boy Shai!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:53 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG,that is the"bestest"news,he was gone for a long time
Not that it matters now,but maybe someone had him and decided to do the right thing dropping him off at his house
He is a stunning cat,really beautiful
Old July 22nd, 2009, 11:10 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

OMG I am so happy .

Why do they put us through so much worry ?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old July 22nd, 2009, 11:13 AM
Senior Contributor

I have been checking in daily and today was the best news yet!!!

I am so very very happy for you.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 11:41 AM
Geek Club CEO

This has given me a little spark of hope for my little girl Molly. We're in an area exactly like what you described...rural, cornfields, hayfields, lots of bush...

Oh I hope I'll be able to have a happy ending too.

I'm so thrilled for your boy's safe return.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old July 22nd, 2009, 11:46 AM
-

Great News

Keep the Faith Bendy
Old July 22nd, 2009, 12:13 PM
Slave to the Kitties

I am so happy your furbaby is home
Old July 22nd, 2009, 12:19 PM
-

Great news ....we all love happy endings.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 12:45 PM
Senior Contributor

I love happy endings. So happy to hear he is home.

ACO22

Tags
aylmer, lost cat, richmond, siamese, tillsonburg