Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old September 26th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
That's a very noble suggestion driver8 but if it backfires and the staff are not prepared to bend, then adoption is out of the question.....One cannot retract a conversation.
Exactly what I was thinking. Do you risk it?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 26th, 2010, 06:41 PM
banned user

I certainly wouldn't risk it...and I'm sure Bendyfoot has some idea of the rules and how "bendable" they are.
What goes on in one shelter doesn't necessarily follow true for another.......and in this case if it backfired it is the poor little guy that will suffer!

Driver..out of curiosity, what area are you affiliated with rescue?
Old September 26th, 2010, 06:46 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. Do you risk it?
Not if it was me....

When we first brought Jack home knowing he had cat and dog agression, it was already arranged that he go to JRT rescue....he was being overlooked at the shelter, had they known that he was suppose to be going to a rescue they may not have allowed us to pull him. We therefore adopted him and kept him here (in the basement) for a few days before the rescue had acquired a foster home for him......Luckily for us he sorta learned to behave and now is a big member of the family .

Soooooooooooo, withholding info is not so bad imo.
Old September 26th, 2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
That's a very noble suggestion driver8 but if it backfires and the staff are not prepared to bend, then adoption is out of the question.....One cannot retract a conversation.
Hence my suggestion to have a friend make that phone call.

A bunch of suggestions to lie to a shelter in order to get a dog? I just can't agree unless other more honest avenues have been tried. Do you know for a fact that rules cannot be bent? I bet a good source of info on that would be your own vet - that would be a safe person to ask too.
Old September 26th, 2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1011 View Post
I
Driver..out of curiosity, what area are you affiliated with rescue?
I volunteer in the area of a shelter that sees the returned dogs and the unsuccessful adoption dogs get turned in. I see the shelter staff behind the scenes and I know that they will make arrangements with people to adopt or foster that are in the best interests of the animal, not just "by the rules". That's why I think it is worth just asking.

I don't think it's right to advocate lying when no one even knows if that's necessary.
Old September 26th, 2010, 06:52 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
Hence my suggestion to have a friend make that phone call.

A bunch of suggestions to lie to a shelter in order to get a dog? I just can't agree unless other more honest avenues have been tried. Do you know for a fact that rules cannot be bent? I bet a good source of info on that would be your own vet - that would be a safe person to ask too.
Of course none of us know that rules cannot be bent, not even yourself...my daughter worked for the OSPCA shelter for 5 years, 2 of that in adoptions, she still works for the OSPCA...you volunteer there driver8, ask a vet about what?

Getting somebody else to call is a lie in itself
Old September 26th, 2010, 06:54 PM
-

Quote:

I don't think it's right to advocate lying when no one even knows if that's necessary.
It's called being on the safe side.....please don't forget we are talking about bendyfoot.
Old September 26th, 2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Of course none of us know that rules cannot be bent, not even yourself...my daughter worked for the OSPCA shelter for 5 years, 2 of that in adoptions, she still works for the OSPCA...you volunteer there driver8, ask a vet about what?

Getting somebody else to call is a lie in itself
Uh, ask your own vet clinic staff if they know people who did the adoption process a bit differently from that shelter. People who work at vet clinics are often "in the know" about how things like this work. Especially the techs, I've found.

Getting somebody else to ask If _____ is possible and expressing concerns about the intro process at the shelter is not a lie. It's a lie if your friend says they want to adopt this dog, but you don't have to say that just to ask a question do you.

The people who work at a shelter care about animals and want the best for them just as much as bendyfoot does.
Old September 26th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Geek Club CEO

I could try to call under the guise of getting "general" information on the adoption process and find out if they would consider any alternatives, but I'm pretty sure there are none.

As for my vet...I live about 75 kms away from this particular HS and my vet would have no reason to have regular contact with them, it's not even in the same district

All I know is that this little mite has had "adoption pending" next to her photo twice, only to have it removed later. The kennel staff member said she's being overlooked because a) not socialized b) not housetrained and c) (and most awfully) because she has no teeth We are very good at taking the dogs that no one else wants because they're too much work. She's been in the shelter for two months, is that not long enough?
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old September 26th, 2010, 07:27 PM

Too long.

Good luck in getting to adopt her, however you choose to go about it. She'll be lucky to have you.
Old September 26th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Geek Club CEO

I just want to give her a chance. There's ALWAYS a risk that an adoption won't work, even if an initial intro goes swimmingly. But we're people who are willing to tough it out for the long haul, unless it becomes apparent that the situation is completely not in the animal's best interest in the long term.
Old September 26th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Doggie Wench

Bendyfoot, I have no doubt that if the person(s) responsible for adoptions meets and listens to you and dw, they would feel confident that your home would be a wonderful match for TeeDee. Tell them all about your furbabies and everything you have done, and continue to do, for them. Bring before and after photos along and bring a referral from your vet. In addition, make them aware of your concerns about the "meeting pen" and propose having your guys meet TeeDee at your home. Be prepared and patient, but be persistent. If you must, I'd only bring Jaida on a second visit; you should reserve the first visit for meeting TeeDee and for speaking to the staff. I just read her profile and your family sounds exactly like what they are looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendyfoot View Post
All I know is that this little mite has had "adoption pending" next to her photo twice, only to have it removed later. The kennel staff member said she's being overlooked because a) not socialized b) not housetrained and c) (and most awfully) because she has no teeth We are very good at taking the dogs that no one else wants because they're too much work. She's been in the shelter for two months, is that not long enough?
Let them know how you've been following her on their website and for how long. Let them know the research you've already done and the work you'll all be putting into making the perfect home for TeeDee. You can't go wrong, Bendy .
Old September 27th, 2010, 08:44 AM
-

No offense LP but we're talking about a shelter here, not a rescue. Shelter person might not have the time to spend , to "check out" Bendy and her family.

I know of one shelter here who many nice pet owners have been refused , this shelter follow their own rules and do not bend them. They can't go case by case as they simply don't have the time.
Old September 27th, 2010, 09:29 AM

Every shelter is different. I find it disturbing that the assumption of many on this site is that the shelter wouldn't make any accomodations and so must lie to shelter to get dog from them. It's almost like "shelter" is something of disdain or something. Many shelters do try hard and will make accomodations and will make that effort. It's worth asking, imo.You don't know that this shelter is one of the ones that don't make any changes ever, but bendyfoot can probably find that out with minimal hassle.
Old September 27th, 2010, 09:48 AM
-

Quote:
Every shelter is different. I find it disturbing that the assumption of many on this site is that the shelter wouldn't make any accomodations and so must lie to shelter to get dog from them. It's almost like "shelter" is something of disdain or something.
driver8 , you seem to think you're the only one here who knows about shelters. You ain't. I'm in rescue. I've been fostering for many rescues , still am , and I know lots of wonderful people who work in shelters . Our shelters here are full 24/7 , 365 days a year , as I stated before , they don't have time to go case by case. They have to follow their rules.
Old September 27th, 2010, 09:57 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Every shelter is different. I find it disturbing that the assumption of many on this site is that the shelter wouldn't make any accomodations and so must lie to shelter to get dog from them. It's almost like "shelter" is something of disdain or something. Many shelters do try hard and will make accomodations and will make that effort. It's worth asking, imo.You don't know that this shelter is one of the ones that don't make any changes ever, but bendyfoot can probably find that out with minimal hassle.
Completely agree with you! It's great BF that you want to open your home but on the site it states: "I would rather not" live in a very busy home! It seems they feel an elderly quiet home would best suit her needs

It also suggests to go by the shelter and read the very large write-up from TeeDee's foster family.

I understand their requirement is to bring all the family but I'm sure there are exceptions without having to lie. The foster home may even agree to a home visit, can't hurt to ask.
Old September 27th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Compromised account

Having gone the shelter route before Sparky came into my life, I have to say that no, not many shelters would accomodate or even give the time of day to hear my story. In fact, as soon as you say that you work full-time ( oh, the horror!) and that you have no back yard ( no, no, you must have a back yard! coz that makes you a perfect dog owner) - you're not acceptable anymore. Sorry, thats the facts. Maybe, somewhere there are shelters that are more accomodating, but from my personal experience I was deemed not good enough.

Having said that, Bendy, you should go and find out as much info about this dog as you can, but don't tell them much about yourself, just be vague until you are certain which route you wanna take. If I was in that situation and i was sure I wanted to go for this dog - I would lie through my teeth if I thought there was no other way.

Sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do to help a dog or a cat, even if it means lying and cheating. Bendy, if anyone can help this dog - its you, but i would still go and read on her what her fosters said... It worries me that they would say that, sorta like a warning..
Good luck!!!
Old September 27th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

You know what, you will never know how well a dog or cat will work out in a family until all the animals have gotten to know each other. Initial intros may not give any indication of future issues.

Also, I do believe that fosters families can give very good insight into a dog/cat's personality, but it depends on the family and their pets. A dog/cat may react very much differently in another family who has the same number of dogs. Some dogs who may take a long time to come out of their shell and end up being so very happy and bonded. I know one puppymill rescue (a horrid place), who took a year to come out of her shell. The HS did not want her adopted to a family with children or other dogs, well guess what, that dog now LOVES other dogs. Took some patience and proper socializing skills.

So Bendy, if I were you, I (with DW) would meet the dog, read what they have to say about it and take it from there. You are an extremely bright person and I think you will know once you meet this pup whether it would be a good fit. The only problem with being totally truthful upfront is you can't take your words back . Take it one step at a time. I believe you will make the right decision.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 27th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Geek Club CEO

Quote:
Many shelters do try hard and will make accomodations and will make that effort. It's worth asking, imo.You don't know that this shelter is one of the ones that don't make any changes ever, but bendyfoot can probably find that out with minimal hassle.
Well, I made some inquiries...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Our shelters here are full 24/7 , 365 days a year , as I stated before , they don't have time to go case by case. They have to follow their rules.
and this was exactly what I was told: "we don't have the staff to allow meetings outside the shelter, and we don't allow trial periods. No exceptions."

Too bad for TeeDee. Or any other dog there for that matter.
Old September 27th, 2010, 01:20 PM
banned user

Ok...time to listen to Chris!!!
Old September 27th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Bendy, lying isn't always the solution. However, it has been my experience that there is always room for a lie when there is a great enough need.

I'm all for lying here. This little one needs a loving home, and you certainly have room to provide that.

If they are as busy as they seem, they likely won't be checking up on you, and if they do you can always say the other dogs belong to friends or are recent rescues.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old September 27th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1011 View Post
Ok...time to listen to Chris!!!
Yup.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 27th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Bendy just wanted to throw this idea out too in case you havent thought about it. If they are the same organization that requires you to license your animals then they will know how many pups you have.

Some people dont get licenses so it wouldnt matter but just in case!

I wish there was a perfect answer but I think you should take one of your pups down there and see how the intro goes. Then after taking each one then maybe bring the whole family??

Good Luck
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old September 27th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Geek Club CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Bendy just wanted to throw this idea out too in case you havent thought about it. If they are the same organization that requires you to license your animals then they will know how many pups you have.
Nope, it's our county that does the licensing, this HS is in another district.

I think we're going to just chew on it for a little bit.
Old September 27th, 2010, 09:47 PM

Best of luck with whatever decision you make. Keep us informed.

It's unfortunate so many shelters, humane societies, etc. do not have the resources/labor/time etc. to evaluate adoptions on a case by case basis. I am sure more animals would find their way into loving homes.

I wouldn't have been "allowed" to adopt Diesel based on some of the silly criteria the HS I volunteer at has... fortunately I volunteer there and our adoption coordinator easily turned a blind eye to it But unfortunately, the "Rules" are in place not because they are necessarily good indicators of a excellent owner, but because we do not have the facilities, resources, etc. to do things much differently... we certainly turn away many good pet owners. However, I truly believe and know for a fact, that if someone came to our adoption coordinator with their story and reasons, she would listen to them. Even though we have "Rules" they have been bent once or twice before

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old September 28th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Senior Contributor

I just skimmed through the thread but here is my take:

Firstly, any animal is set up for failure if put into a pen with others to 'see' if it works out. That is absolutely ridiculous and for anyone who understands animal behaviour - this is just not the right way of doing things.

Ask if you can take the dog for a walk with yours in order to ease them into getting to know each other on neutral ground. I know you know this, but maybe the shelter can accomodate you in this regards.

Another option of course is asking them if you can 'foster with intent to adopt' to make sure that all goes well. If the dog has issues, I really cannot see why they would not consider.

You know, sometimes shelters and rescues have weird criterias, but it never hurts to ask them to give alittle. Worse they can say is no...and if that is what they say then move on. You did the best you could.

Good luck!
Old September 28th, 2010, 12:23 PM
-

Such a tough decision for you, Bendy ......I hope all works out for you in the end, whatever you decide to do.
Old September 28th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Geek Club CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Firstly, any animal is set up for failure if put into a pen with others to 'see' if it works out. That is absolutely ridiculous and for anyone who understands animal behaviour - this is just not the right way of doing things.

I think that this is what burns my butt the most.

Ask if you can take the dog for a walk with yours in order to ease them into getting to know each other on neutral ground. I know you know this, but maybe the shelter can accomodate you in this regards.

Another option of course is asking them if you can 'foster with intent to adopt' to make sure that all goes well. If the dog has issues, I really cannot see why they would not consider.

Both of these are a no-go.

You know, sometimes shelters and rescues have weird criterias, but it never hurts to ask them to give alittle. Worse they can say is no...and if that is what they say then move on. You did the best you could.

Good luck!
I think we've moved on...I don't see what choice we have. I just hope I don't have to see her languishing in there for months on end.
Old September 28th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Geek Club CEO

All's well that ends well. TeeDee was adopted.
Old September 29th, 2010, 06:40 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendyfoot View Post
All's well that ends well. TeeDee was adopted.
That is good news, bendy . no fibbing required.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)