Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old September 4th, 2018, 11:23 PM

Looking for a Raw, Vegetarian, non-synthetic vitamin Food

I want to feed my pet a raw vegetarian diet. The problem is, all the foods I've found also use synthetic vitamin fillers. I think this is absurd and unnecessary if the food was properly balanced and raw to begin with. Could you recommend a dog food that has all of the following:

Organic
Raw
Vegetarian/vegan
Natural whole food vitamins and NO synthetic vitamins
No preservatives, coloring, or anything else that doesn't belong.

Thanks.

Please do not suggest these as they all have synthetic vitamins in it:

Natural Balance’s Vegetarian
PetGuard Organics Vegetarian
Halo’s Vegan Garden Medley
V-dog’s Kibble
Old September 5th, 2018, 09:59 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I doubt there is a vegetarian/vegan diet out there that doesn't use synthetic vitamins or supplements. For one thing, I think there are certain nutrients that just aren't produced by plants, so they'd have to be added to the mix. If you don't add them as an element of meat, you'd have to add highly processed, if not synthetic, ingredients to supply them.

This is especially true if your pet is a cat, which would make it an obligate carnivore and unlikely to do well on a vegetarian diet. It might be possible for a dog, but you'd have to be very careful to get the balance of vitamins and minerals right--and likely, your only source for some of them might be highly processed or synthetic.

Why do you wish to put your pet on a vegetarian diet?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 9th, 2018, 10:05 PM

Have you considered making the food yourself? That way you have total control over ingredient source and can add in a non synthetic whole food vitamin & mineral supplement.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old September 23rd, 2018, 08:36 AM
Senior Contributor

I would never endorse a vegan diet for a carnivore or even an omnivore but that said a co-worker did feed her dog, due to issues the DOG had with meat, not the person's issues, a mostly vegan diet. She bought the ingredients at the grocery store or farmer's market and cooked it up herself. She did a LOT of research to be sure the dog was getting proper nutrition since dog bodies don't absorb nutrients as well from veg as they do from meat. You might look into a BARF diet to start with. I fed my dog that. It does have a lot of veg and fruit and you do need to learn how to prepare them and the ratios to feed them in. It has meat too but would be a learning start.
Old September 29th, 2018, 02:03 AM
banned user

I am extremely negative towards vegetarianism among animals and children.

Let's understand. A dog (Canis lupus familiaris), this is a predatory squad, a family of dog dogs. I wonder where we have predators who voluntarily gave up meat. Next, the fans veb. nutrition assure that their dogs almost voluntarily switched to such food. Yeah, maybe they even asked ... It's much simpler, it's the psychology of animals. Faithful dogs will do absolutely everything for their masters to please them. Also what means have passed? They simply stopped giving meat-containing products. However, the choice can also be different. For example, a dog accustomed to certain tastes can easily prefer a piece of a loaf with butter and cheese to a piece of excellent tenderloin. Almost all dogs like sweet, chew carrots, cucumbers, etc., but to conclude that they do not need meat, somehow it is not right.

Some write that eating meat is dangerous. It is a pity, and did not find why. Yes, dog predators have become omnivores, ie can eat everything. Teeth, by the way, in dogs are genetically predisposed for gnawing, cutting and ripping of meat, but not for chewing. Gastric juice by composition, too, has not changed.

Dogs vegetarians need constant veterinary control and should regularly take synthetic vitamins and preparations, which, incidentally, are also synthesized from other animals.

In general, my opinion is clear to everyone. Of course, the consequences of a vegetarian diet will not manifest so soon. Which allows you to make "correct" conclusions. But the negative effect on the gastrointestinal tract, on the condition of the teeth, the metabolism will be.
Old November 13th, 2018, 08:30 AM
banned user

Is a vegetarian diet good for dogs?
Old November 13th, 2018, 03:40 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I think it might be pretty difficult to get a well-balanced and nutritionally complete vegetarian diet for dogs, and nearly impossible to manage one for cats, zefig. But I do know of people who have tried it with dogs.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."