Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 19th, 2011, 06:08 PM

Dog Won't Walk with Anyone Else

My dogs, and one in particular, appear to have bonded to me quite a bit.

I am the main animal care provider in the house. I do 99% of feeding, walking, cuddling etc etc. I do all of the training.

Problem is when my husband goes to walk the dogs. Usually they are ecstatic about running off-leash behind the house. But tonight I left to walk one somewhere else, and DH was going to take the other 2 behind the house.

First he couldn't get them to leave the house. He managed to get them to the edge of the field but they ran back to the house.

I take them to daycare and they are fine once I leave.

The problem as I see it is first he needs to spend more time with them. And he can be kind of gruff with them. They are pretty sensitive to tone of voice so I always use a happy tone when I call them - even if I'm not feeling particularly happy with them. He said Kirk peed on the floor when he was telling him to come so I'm thinking Kirk was afraid.

How do you get your dogs used to going with other people? My dogs are part dachshund, they tend to be single people dogs but it's not like he is a stranger.
Old October 19th, 2011, 06:21 PM

Get your husband to play hide and seek with the dogs in the house. He hides (behind a door or something simple like that), then calls the dogs, and when he finds them they sit and get a small treat. Then they have to sit and stay, he goes and hides somewhere else, then he calls, and they find again. If they are off he can make a small noise like a short whistle. It works really well for bonding and recall, plus it is fun for both parties. Even if he does it once a week with them, they will remember the game and it will still help.
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie
Old October 19th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

Heres an idea...not sure if it would work..but worth a try. You get pups leash...have her leashed...take her/him outside...walk a bit..have hubs meet you at a paticular point on the walk, and have him hold the leash (you stay there), and continue walking. Next walk ...and little by little...make the meeting point closer to home, and you walk with them less. Then one day..just put on leash..hand leash to hubs and see what happens. Kinda INTEGRATE him into the picture and WEEDLE yourself out of it..I guess is what I'm saying.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 07:19 AM

I personally think that you should have your hubby help you with the feeding,training and walking. Its true that your hubby is not a stranger but they get more comfortable with you because you take care of almost everything that pertains their well being. Once they get more exposed to being cared by your husband they will gradually get comfortable with him. Hope it helps.