Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 25th, 2005, 10:29 AM

Rescue dog, but have small kids?

I'm wondering whether all rescues have the policy that they don't adopt out to families with small children? I've noticed that some would allow an adoption if the dog is young enough, normally 6 months or less, but otherwise the kids are pretty much required to be over 8 years old. So how would one go about adopting a dog from a rescue (rather than a shelter so you have more info on the dog's personality) if you have young kids?

I'm not in a position to adopt just yet, but have been wondering about this....
Old September 25th, 2005, 10:39 AM

I should have asked this question in a few days instead as I'm heading out of town this afternoon..... Just wanted to say thanks in advance for any info and I'll be back!
Old September 25th, 2005, 08:55 PM

I don't have a "kid rule/" BUT I am very careful what dog I would put with kids... The breed I rescue isn't always fond of kids but once in a while I get one that's great with kids! I also base it on the parents and what they are like, what are thier expectations from a rescue dog etc...

Some rescues do have blanket rules which is thier choice, I rather look at each individual applicant before closing the door on them...
Old September 25th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

We do not have a kid rule either but many rescues do. This being said, there are certain dogs we receive that we would never place with children. It goes on a dog to dog basis for us.
Old September 26th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Adopt a senior dog!!

We don't have a set rule, but generally we don't place dogs with unknown histories (strays, shelter dogs) with young children.
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old September 26th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Senior Contributor

How many children, and how small?

I have personally seen adopted dogs being dumped after they accidentally knocked over a little kid.

If people are not willing to train and supervise, I wouldn't give a dog to people with kids under 5.

We don't give cats or kittens to most people with young kids, because the first scratch and the cat is gone.
Old September 26th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Rottie owner and lover

oh heck, my daughter is always being knocked down accidently, my big goof has no control over his rear end, lOL. That is why I am always around. I think many dogs can be good with younger kids, just need responsible parents....
Old September 26th, 2005, 12:20 PM

I found this problem when looking as i have 3 small children i spoke to a the english mastiff rescue who didnt have a problem as i knew all about the mastiff and the problems with knocking over small children. Unfortunately they never had any suitable with children.

It is hard i found especially if you have a few small children there are a few rescues around that dont specify
Old September 27th, 2005, 09:20 AM

What kind of dog are you looking to adopt? I know that i was looking for a small breed dog, and just about every rescue wont adopt to people with young children. I think the reason is that they are afraid the dog might get hurt or bullied.
So i searched and searched, and every Pekingese dog from a reputable rescue would not adopt out to someone with children, not a chance. Now i can totally understand why a rescue should not adopt out to someone with children if the dog has had a bad past with children, is aggressive, fearful etc. But when it is a "normal" dog, then i think the rescue should read the form, possibly do a home visist, and see how the child is with the dog etc.
With that being said, i gave up on rescue's and adopted from an animal shelter. They knew nothing about the peke i adopted, they did not even tell me he was deaf, only told me that they had never heard him make a sound. I bring him home, and he has serious anxiety or dementia. If i would have been able to adopt from a rescue, at least i would know more of his personality/health before adopting him. Not being surprised by it in the middle of the night.
Now given my slightly negative experience with a city of t.o animal shelter, would i ever adopt from them again.... Yes, in a heartbeat. Poko has been a big learning experience and his eyes just break my heart.
Old September 27th, 2005, 11:09 AM

savannah what a shame that you had such a bad experience, I really hate reading stories like yours as it only gives rescue a bad name and makes it harder for those of us who are reasonable and are willing to look at each individual application.... Bless you for keeping and loving your Peke though...
Old September 27th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Love all creatures

I think I'd be more worried about the kid poking the dog's eyes out then the dog knocking over the kid...

I also think it should depend on how the child is "trained" to behave around animals...I would definately close the door on someone that has kids with no respect for animals and their space.
Old September 27th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Rottie owner and lover

Just remember, not every person that has kids allow the dog to be used as a toy. From the second harley arrived, I have only taught my daughter to repect and love. Once in a blue moon she will have a relapse of judgement, and is carefully corrected for it. But I believe rescues have a real hard judgement call when it comes to kids, alot more than not, kids use dogs as toys, and are not corrected for it.
Old September 27th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Senior Contributor

I found they do generalize but I think it makes it easier for the rescues. With that said I know a lot of them do look at each application seperately. I found with giant breeds they do tend say no children for many good reasons as some were stated above Buddy has knocked me over they are just not as agile as smaller breeds. Also you have a lot more dog to deal with who in most cases weighs more than the owners. I think for these guys it is safety as well as not wanting them brought back. When they place rescues they are hoping that they have found there forever home. If they are returned they develop more issues making it harder to find another home. Be patient your rescue baby is out there it does take time my last rescue took a year to find but worth the wait. Buddy I literally found the day after I started to look. Good luck and thanks for wanting to rescue. Please post when you are ready and we hopefully can help you find your new dog.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old September 27th, 2005, 02:07 PM

Thanks so much for the info!

We're actually not looking to adopt any time soon (hopefully ) as we have an 11 year old shepherd who will be allowed to remain the only dog in our household. Right now we have a 4 month old baby and are planning to add one more kid into the family within the next year or two. Of course all kids will be brought up to know what is acceptable behaviour around dogs. They are NOT their toys but are valuable members of the family!!!!!

So unfortunately at some point in the next few years we will no longer have our wonderful bed hog with us, and that's when it will be time to really start considering what to do next. Both hubby and I want to go the rescue route. We're not quite sure as to what breed exactly, maybe a g-shepherd again (just LOVE them), or then a Berner, Newf or Great Dane. Of course I realize these are big dogs we're talking about and so kids will be knocked over and whipped by wagging tails, but it can be done! Wouldn't exactly be expecting to adopt a 9 month old Dane who'd out of excitement plow over anything and everything while playing. Some would be more suitable for a family with kids, that's why we'd definitely go the rescue route so we can find a dog that's a good fit.

Thanks again, I'm more optimistic now that I know there are rescues that will consider each case rather than automatically rule out a family with kids!