Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 17th, 2008, 03:28 PM

Great Pyr with DM?

I rushed to this health Forum before introducing myself as I am anxious to receiving some guidance. I apologize for that.

We rescued a female Great Pyr three years ago via our Fla. Great Pyr rescue Club. Hailey has been a sweetheart yet always frail and not as heavy bulk as her breed. About a year ago, I noticed she was knuckling while walking. I did not know such trait could be symptomatic of Degenerative Myelopathy.

A couple of days ago as I took Hailey on a walk longer than usual, her rear hind gave up to where she was stumbling and could not walk. That was very sudden even though I had noticed loss of balance and some loss of agility in the last couple of months. I thought it was related to some degree of arthritis or hip problems as it is quite frequent in her breed. We have her on Glucosamine as well as our other Great Pyr sweetheart, Milo.

Here are the symptoms I have noted which brought me to suspecting DM :

- low muscle mass and from the time we adopted her.
- easily loosing her balance when playing with Milo or with one of our humans.
- difficulties getting up and always stretching her rear legs a lot as she gets up.
- her rear is always low as she walks. Contrary to our Milo who will lift up his tail in that "noble" patrolling position. In fact, I cannot recall Hailey demonstrating the body language and dynamics of other Pyrs.
- knuckling to the point that I found one of her nails from her anterior paw (left side) the day before yesterday.
- when I would let her wander in our fenced backyard, she used to dig her own pit. She has stopped doing her favorite Great Pyr thingy for about one month.
- she will stay on our patio when it is time to go out for number one or number two. Today, she needed help getting in the grass.
- we estimated that Hailey was about 2 years old when we adopted her. Rescued dogs do not always have a documented history so we have no idea what her antecedents of health were prior to her being rescued and adopted.

At this point and having researched what may be happening to our girl, I suspect DM. Going on that tentative diagnosis, what can we do for now to boost her immune system and make her more comfortable? What prognosis are we to expect, meaning longevity and hopefully painless?

We have to rely on our own suspicions as we are not in any financial conditions to undertake all the necessary tests to eliminate or confirm a DM diagnosis.

I will appreciate so much any advice you may provide. (so will Hailey whose eyes are so human...she is such a sweetie pie).
Old November 17th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Great Pry

Your best bet would be to contact the rescue you adopted her from as they may be able to assist in the prognoses.
Old November 17th, 2008, 09:33 PM

Thank you for your reply. I just realized that I asked about "boosting her immune system" which is probably NOT a good idea considering DM is an autoimmune illness.
Old November 17th, 2008, 09:57 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Although the tests to diagnose DM might be expensive, has your vet run any less expensive tests to rule out other diseases? A blood profile might be within your budget and give you a world of information about what might be ailing your girl.

Even without a definite diagnosis, your vet might be willing to try various treatments and see if they help. Again, those meds might be within your budget.

Diagnosing anything off the internet can be a tricky business and you risk missing something that might be easily treatable. Regardless, if you wish to get her on any meds, you'll have to go through a vet. So, imo, if you can at all afford it, you need to at least consult with a vet about possible avenues...

Good luck with your girl, Veronique!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 18th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Bluebear

Hi:

I hear you when you mention monies for the vet. I have never heard of DM but looked it up on the web. Here is some info I got as far as treatment goes. I have a great pyr also. She is 5 months old. Sorry to hear about your little girl.

How is degenerative myelopathy treated?

Although there is no specific treatment for this condition, supportive care can generally be provided for several months.Your veterinarian will suggest ways to help you adjust to your dog's gradually increasing limitations, and to recognize the point at which euthanasia becomes the best option. This is usually within a year of the initial diagnosis, when your dog is no longer able to walk.

Some believe that treatment with a combination of increased exercise, vitamin supplementation and aminocaproic acid can slow the progression of this disease, but controlled studies have not been carried out that demonstrate this.