Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old February 28th, 2009, 10:11 PM

sleep walking dog

I thought this was halarious so thought I would share.
P.S not my dog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2BgjH_CtIA
Old March 1st, 2009, 01:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Well I thought it was funny right up until he slammed into the wall! Then I just felt sorry for him and annoyed that they would let that happen and just tape it. Poor guy looked so disoriented.
Old March 1st, 2009, 02:02 PM

I don't think the owners could know the dog was about to jump up into the wall. The video stopped right after it happened so we don't know how the people reacted. After the fact there is not much you can do, also approaching a disoriented/half awake dog could be a good way to get bitten.
I didn't think the video was funny, but it was interesting, I've never seen a dog act out its dreams to that extent. I think the video may be informative to people who do not realize to what extent dogs can move while asleep.
Old March 1st, 2009, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

if you look at the following video clip you see the dog standing and barking while "sleeping" I'll swear that poor dog is in a seizure of some type.....
Old March 1st, 2009, 04:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Melinda- Waiting for a reply from this lady. I messaged her and nicely asked if the dog has been vet checked to see if the sleep walkng/barking is caused by seizures/ brain tumor .. and exlpained that i was hoping she has already been checked and turned out to just be a weird habit.
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old March 1st, 2009, 05:15 PM

True or not the owner posted these comments in one of the video's responding to the people who asked if it was sick and has seen the vet.

"Yes, they have never seen anything like it, but all they can think to do is dope her up with valium (so I can get sleep.) She sleeps right through it. No thanks"

"She has walked, jumped and barked in her sleep EVERYTIME she falls asleep since she was born, and she is 14 now. She is just a vivid dreamer."
Old March 3rd, 2009, 01:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I still don't like the video. Obviously the owner knew the dog had excessive movement and that shouldn't have come as a surprise. I understand about the sleepwalking and disorientation as my son did this for years on end. They could be calmly soothing the dog rather than letting it progress like this. Sorry. And like Melinda to me it almost looks seizure like. Glad to hear the owner says they have seen a vet anyhow. But I find this video disturbing.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 04:19 PM
Senior Contributor

I thought it looked like a seizure as well, but if the owner says she's had her looked at then...

Seems like they would put her in a room that's got plenty of pillows or something. If this is the norm for her, the least they can do is keep her from hurting herself, i.e. running into walls.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old March 3rd, 2009, 10:00 PM
Senior Contributor

I actually got heart pains for this poor dog. I thought seizures also.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old March 4th, 2009, 06:03 PM

I very seldom look at videos which claim to be hilarious or odd......and this one is no different.

First reaction was....it's a seizure.....next was....why doesn't someone do something to help her.....then.....If you know your dog can injure herself, why would you stand there and watch.

Hopefully a Vet will find the cause and allow this gorgeous dog to be able to sleep in peace.

I find this very upsetting....

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old March 4th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Senior Contributor

It's very upsetting. I can only imagine making a video like this to get some opinions on if their own dog was having the same reactions to dreams.

If I had a dog that had that issue, I'd make sure they had lots of soft stuff around them so they at least wouldn't hurt themselves.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old March 5th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Senior Contributor

this made CTV tonight in our region. I called them and told them this was not a funny story. They made it into a joke on the air. Not impressed....

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else