Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old February 24th, 2010, 10:56 AM
-

I just love this thread, I'm so glad it got started .....good pics LP

I so need a decent camera
Old February 25th, 2010, 09:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I was doing so well in January, limiting madame hazel to a reasonable number of pics for printing... Now in February, with the birds getting tamer and the weather warmer, madame hazel is showing signs of needing that intervention again

Anyway, here's some more birds from this month...same ol', same ol'...but they're just so darn cute!!!!!!

Black-capped chickadees:

Name:  Handsome 2-24-10.jpg
Views: 1229
Size:  51.7 KB

A novel angle on this one :
Name:  Chickadee flip 2-17-10.jpg
Views: 1345
Size:  27.3 KB

Just darn cute:
Name:  Chickadee on twig 2-17-10.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  28.9 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 25th, 2010, 09:07 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

A few more chickadees. I just love these little guys!

Name:  chickadee in sumac 2-22-10.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  27.5 KB

Name:  Big brother is watching 2-24-10.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  34.5 KB

Name:  Chickadee on suet 2-17-10.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  33.8 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 25th, 2010, 09:19 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

White-breasted nuthatch:

Name:  White-breasted nuthatch 2-25-10.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  37.8 KB

Name:  White-breasted nuthatch in sumac 2-22-10.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  40.2 KB

Name:  What you lookin' at, sucka 2-25-10.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  33.0 KB

Old February 25th, 2010, 09:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Mama Downy Woodpecker:

Name:  Downy in oak 2-17-10.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  40.1 KB

Name:  Female downy 2-21-10.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  34.3 KB

Name:  Mama downy portrait 2-23-10.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  34.4 KB

Old February 25th, 2010, 09:35 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Papa Downy Woodpecker:

Name:  Male downy 2-21-10.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  51.3 KB

Name:  Papa Downy 2-23-10.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  31.9 KB

Name:  Male downy at suet 2-21-10.jpg
Views: 1755
Size:  52.7 KB

Old February 25th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Doggie Wench

Wow! WOW !

What amazingly beautiful shots .
Old February 25th, 2010, 09:44 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Mourning dove in the hemlock:
Name:  Mourning dove in hemlock 2-25-10.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  86.4 KB

Blue jays :

Name:  Blue jay in sumac 2-25-10.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  56.3 KB

Name:  Blue jay in birch 2-25-10.jpg
Views: 1356
Size:  69.4 KB

Old February 25th, 2010, 09:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Red-breasted nuthatch:

Name:  Red-breasted nuthatch at suet 2-23-10.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  46.8 KB

Name:  Red-breasted nuthatch on suet 2-21-10.jpg
Views: 1863
Size:  26.8 KB

Name:  Red-breasted nuthatch 2-21-10.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  50.2 KB

Old February 25th, 2010, 10:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

And finally , a couple of posts of American goldfinches...

Name:  Goldfinch in oak 2-17-10.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  58.3 KB

Name:  Straw goldfinch 2-17-10.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  29.3 KB

Name:  Goldfinch in sumac 2-25-10.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  36.2 KB

Old February 25th, 2010, 10:09 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Name:  Goldfinch 2-23-10.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  17.4 KB

Name:  Goldfinch in sumac 2-23-10.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  27.4 KB

...and a shot of my helper for the day!

Name:  Happy dog 2-21-10.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  28.9 KB

Old February 25th, 2010, 10:13 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Thanks, LP. It helps when the birds cooperate. Except for the dove, the two bluejays and my helper , I was within about 25 feet (um....less than 8 meters, I think) for all the others. If I stand reasonably quietly, they come down to the feeders even if I'm pretty close. We're buddies, donchyaknow...

Old February 25th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Doggie Wench

Does Ember stay reasonably quiet too when he sees the birds ?
Old February 25th, 2010, 10:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Does Ember stay reasonably quiet too when he sees the birds ?
Nope. At least not if there are doves involved. Doves are just too irresistible! But he sure does have fun!!!

Old February 26th, 2010, 09:46 AM
-

Such clarity in the pictures Hazel, they are so very good ....Your Goldfinches have more advanced goldening then mine, does that mean you will get Spring before we do
Old February 26th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

OMG I love the pics! You must have a really good camera!

Hey guys I am wondering still no takers on the suet?? does it go bad?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old February 26th, 2010, 11:11 AM
-

Still no takers Winston, that's weird - it won't go bad in this weather no fears. Have you seen many birds around?
Old February 26th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

You know its funny you should ask that! I have hardly seen any birds this year?? Even this past week up in Montreal I took my binoculars along in case I saw some birds but not even 1?? I did see for the first time in my life a pack of deer? OMG they ran across the road and there had to be about 15 of them all together?? I have only seen 1 or 2 deer at a time but never that many! Good thing no one hit them!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old February 26th, 2010, 12:16 PM
-

So did you at least take a pic of the deer?.....to tell you the truth, if I was a bird, I wouldn't live in Hamilton
Old February 26th, 2010, 01:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Suet can go bad, Winston, but usually it needs to be above freezing... Is Hamilton warm? If you see mold growing on it, I'd pitch the suet and either start fresh or try again next winter.

Too bad you're not seeing any birds! Do you have a seed feeder out?

Old February 26th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well its at the back of the house..its a teeney tree...normally i see tons of birds here but this yr hardly any...

I am gonna hang a new one up front in the Big trees..probably have better luck....maybe its because the weather for us has been so strange this year?

Love this thread!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old February 26th, 2010, 01:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Could certainly by the weather but I can't believe you've been totally snubbed! Not even any house sparrows?!?

We're seeing signs of spring here. The size of the flocks continue to increase, and the purple finches (although seemingly shy of the camera) have been unabashedly singing their spring music. I actually found some grassy spots under the pines today (heard a bunch of doves go up and went to investigate ), although most of the rest of the ground is covered in a foot of snow.

This morning there were over 80 goldfinches under the feeders and chasing each other around the treetops, a smattering of purple finches (which have been pretty scarce this winter), woodpeckers and nuthatches bobbing along the tree trunks, and blue jays and doves skulking in the bushes. Of course, my counting days for the Cornell program are Wed and Thurs so I couldn't add them to my tallies How do they always know?

I hope the birds find your feeders soon, Winston! 'Course...you could always take Winston on another road trip and come on over to see ours. If you time it for mid-May, the warblers will be coming through! My favorite part of the birding season!

Old February 26th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I rescued a warbler before and didnt really know what it was at the time..it flew into the buuilding I workk in so I called the SPCA thinking someone lost their cute little bird..it was lime green in color..the lady said to bring it up so I did..They laughed at me when they opened the box..the lady says thats a wild bird?? you have warbler in there! okay...then she said okay dont worry we will keep it here for observation and then release it in the morning! They were laughing at me but I had a smile on my face thinking he was gonna be okay,,,
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old February 26th, 2010, 08:13 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, that's cool, Winston! I love warblers!!! They're my favorite group!!! I'm hoping to get some warbler pics this summer...but it'll be hard--they're skittish, like to stick to the tops of the trees, they're small, and those cute little buggers are fast!!!

Old February 27th, 2010, 07:34 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Suet can go bad, Winston, but usually it needs to be above freezing... Is Hamilton warm? If you see mold growing on it, I'd pitch the suet and either start fresh or try again next winter.
Maybe it is the ingredients in the prepared suet cakes that allows them to get moldy Hazel, I have never seen mold on the fat balls I buy. I would think as long as the weather does not warm too quickly they should be ok, akin to being refrigerated.

I don't think I have ever seen a Warbler
Old February 27th, 2010, 09:06 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'll try to get some warbler pics this summer, but unless they come down out of the treetops (which they usually don't ) the pics won't be quite as closeup as the ones I get of my feeder buddies. Speaking of which, that ol' bat, madame hazel, was out there in the bushes with the camera again this morning . Now I have another 400 images to print on Monday when I go into town! I wouldn't mind so much but it takes forever to go through everything when madame hazel is on a roll!

Old February 27th, 2010, 11:30 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Okay, I have today's ready to go, but I'm not going to post them here till we get to the next page. If I do, I won't be able to reload this page. One of the many mysteries of Dial-up... It's an arcane science!

Old February 28th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Doggie Wench

I was finally awake enough to remember to take my camera outside with me early this morning. Of course this guy? girl? chose the tallest tree to perch on . That is a Cardinal right? He/she sounded so pretty .
Attached Images

Old February 28th, 2010, 08:39 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Yep, a male cardinal, and a very handsome one at that, LP! We used to have cardinals here but for some reason they've been absent this autumn and winter

I really hope they resurface this spring because I love cardinals

Old February 28th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Doggie Wench

I see lots of Cardinals here, just never have my camera handy . And they tend to be more shy than the other kinds of birds. I swear he was telling our dogs off this morning as they were playing too close to the feeder .

What do Cardinals like to eat best? Do you know if they prefer to eat in an open space or amongst trees for cover?