Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old December 9th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributor

A Pawsitive thought for my friends dog

Please send pawsitive thoughts and prayers from my friends Rotti/Dob cross. Bella is 1 1/2 years old and sadly ate rat poison. She is in very bad shape to say the least, and it's touch and go, she is hemorrhaging internally. She has been at the vet for 24 hours now and they said it was a good sign that she made it through the night. If she makes it a while longer a transfusion may be in order. Her mommy, to say the least feels horrible that the dog got into the poison. Like me she has a mouse in the house, but she hadn't put the poison out, it was in the cupboard and the dog got into it. It's so very sad :sad:
Old December 9th, 2009, 11:49 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sending lots of and s for Bella! Your friend must be just beside herself!

that the vets can work their magic with Bella!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 9th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Yeah, she is so beside herself and full of blame. I was sick to my stomach when she told me what had happened. She kept asking me if her dog was going to die. I told her to have hope because the dog is young and healthy and she has that going for her. Thanks for the good thoughts Hazel - Bella needs all the help she can get right now.
Old December 9th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Senior Contributor

*sending out good vibes for Bella*.....please keep us posted Dog Dancer
Old December 9th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Lots and lots of for Bella and

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 9th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh poor Bella, she will be in my thoughts and prayers, I hope she pulls thru.
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)

"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)
Old December 9th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Oh my. I sure hope the poor dog makes it.

clm
Old December 9th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Senior Contributor

How horribly sad. Pawsitive vibes to this little soul.
Old December 9th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Sadly things are not looking good for poor Bella. My friend has just gone to get her and take her to the Emergency Hospital for a transfusion. Bella's blood levels are continuing to drop and this is her only hope. The vet could have done the transfusion, but then nobody is at the vet clinic at night to monitor the dog, so at the emergency hospital someone is there 24/7. Continued thoughts and prayers please. Sweet Bella was an SPCA rescue last summer.
Old December 9th, 2009, 03:00 PM

This is so sad. I am so sorry that your friend is going thru all of this.
that everything works out in the end.

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler, Notebooks, 1912
Old December 9th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Mickey, my angel

Sending lots of pawsitive vibes for Bella that the transfusions make the difference for her.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old December 9th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers and kind wishes. Bella really needs all the help she can get. I have passed all the messages to my friend to help encourage her along.
Old December 9th, 2009, 03:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

More , s and crossed s for Bella! I'm praying the transfusions do the trick for her!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 9th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm sending all the positive thoughts and prayers I have. Poor girl. Hopefully her young age will help her fight this.

I hope your next post is with some good news.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old December 9th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Sending more for Bella.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 9th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Senior Contributor

So what's your gut feeling on this my friends. If the dog has already had such a bad reaction, even if she survives it, will she ever regain her health? She has youth on her side, but is that enough if she pulls through the initial poisoning? Just wondering and praying and it's in my brain.
Old December 9th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Doggie Wench

Anything is possible DD. Was she taken to the vets soon after it was discovered she ate the poison? In the case of certain poisons, the earlier the treatment, the better prognosis.

All our and for Bella and her mom.
Old December 9th, 2009, 07:34 PM
-

I am so sorry to hear about Bella. :sad:

I agree with LP ...do you know how soon after Bella ate the rat poison she was taken to the vet? Do you know if the vet gave her some Vitamin K?

Sending lots of prayers and good wishes for Bella to pull through this.
Old December 10th, 2009, 01:14 AM

for Bella

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old December 10th, 2009, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Please send pawsitive thoughts and prayers from my friends Rotti/Dob cross. Bella is 1 1/2 years old and sadly ate rat poison. She is in very bad shape to say the least, and it's touch and go, she is hemorrhaging internally. She has been at the vet for 24 hours now and they said it was a good sign that she made it through the night. If she makes it a while longer a transfusion may be in order. Her mommy, to say the least feels horrible that the dog got into the poison. Like me she has a mouse in the house, but she hadn't put the poison out, it was in the cupboard and the dog got into it. It's so very sad :sad:
Hugs and prayers for Bella... Hope she'll be okay soon...
Old December 10th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Well I haven't had an update yet this morning on Bella. Last night she was more responsive after the blood transfusions, but her lungs had blood in them and they didn't know if they would have to drain them or not. She was having difficulty breathing. My friend does not know when the dog ate the poison. It was in a bag up on the top of her bedroom dresser and the dog got up and took it but she doesn't know when. The poison was destined to go into bait traps at her mothers house this weekend, and had not been placed on the floor in her own home - she didn't think the dog would steal it off her dresser (way at the back). Anyhow, I'll keep you posted if I hear anything and I will ask about the vitamin K.
Old December 10th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Well I have an update now. Bella did well through the night considering what she's going through. They did have to draw about a litre of blood from her lungs to facilitate her breathing, and that helped her alot. So right now, she's still fighting. I think this is a good sign. My friend thanks you all for your kind thoughts and prayers. Her kids have all told her to forget Christmas this year, they don't need anything (her first vet charged her $500 for their days work and the emerg hospital wanted $2000 up front to start treatment and that was based on 75% of their anticipated cost). Needless to say she was in tears when she came to tell me about the kids, they will be one very happy family if their pupper makes it home for Christmas.
Old December 10th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Senior Contributor

So heartbreaking for the family. I am certain that she feels a tremendous amount of guilt. I really feel for her.

The family seems very understanding and loving. They deserve to be happy and I wish them all the very best.
Old December 10th, 2009, 12:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Sending more

Keep fighting, Bella!

Old December 10th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Hopefully this is a good sign. She's got a lot of people pulling for her and I'm sure the vets are doing all they can.

Your friend has done a great job teaching her kids. It's not many who would say to forget about Christmas.

There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old December 10th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Senior Contributor

What a great bunch of kids to put their dog first like that. you don't see that very often. sending lots of that she keeps fighting and pulling through.

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old December 10th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh that poor family. I think it is a good sign that Bella has made it this far. Sending one HUGE to her family and some more for Bella.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old December 10th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Senior Contributor

LP - you asked about Vitamin K - yes she is getting that, and will have to stay on it for some time after assuming she pulls through.

I have passed all these msgs on to my friend and she is amazed at how kind and wonderful (and smart) you all are. She says when all this settles and she has Bella home again she's definitely going to join us on the forum. Hang in there Bella you have so many people who are pulling for you.

Latest news is that Bella is doing better right now for the most part. They have been encouraging her to try to eat but have told my friend that the next 24 hours will tell if she'll make it or not. Her heart is still beating oddly and is cause for some concern, and one of her hind legs is not working. It's too early to say if it's permanent damage to the hind leg or not though, it may come back or my thought is it could also be from being immobile for three days. So we're hoping that will improve as well, but for right now, my friend is smiling! Yay!!!

Last edited by Dog Dancer; December 10th, 2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old December 11th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Bella is doing much better

Well Bella is a fighter. She was soooo excited to see her mommy last night! It appears right now that she is paralyzed in one of her hind legs, but I've assured her mom that Bella will learn to live with that if it's permanent. She'd still have it for balance and I told her how many of our members here have tri-pods who are wonderful, happy terrors! The emergency hospital has told her that she should take the dog back to her regular vet now as it does not appear she is in any imminent danger and the regular vet would be much less expensive. The emerg. place has been charging $1600 per night. So I guess tonight they'll be moving her back to the regular vet for the next few days before hopefully bringing her home. Right now it's very positive, although the vet does warn her that "anything could happen or change", but it's looking so much better. We are all so relieved to say the least. It appears right now that Bella's family should be having a Merry Christmas after all. I'll keep you guys posted though when she goes home (I'm staying very positive that this will be the outcome.)
Old December 11th, 2009, 11:25 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

omd, what a relief!

for a complete recovery and for Bella to be home to celebrate Christmas!