Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 16th, 2009, 04:37 PM

To Visit Or Not To Visit

Linus, our newest family member came to us as a bit of a rescue. DH is a cab driver that picks up at a weekly-pay motel a lot. This summer, he stopped by the office to pick up a customer and noticed there was this beautiful little 6 month old kitten just hanging out in the office. When he asked about the furball, the staff said he was left in one of the units by a prostitute that had gone to jail. The girl had called them and promised to pick him up as soon as she got out. Jeff ended up leaving his phone number with the staff just in case she didn't come back so we could take Linus.

She did end up coming back, but didn't take Linus with her. She instead left a note and all of his belongings (including a sweater of hers to help the transition to a new home). The note begged the new owner to love him and detailed his personality, along with her phone number to call and let her know he made it to a good home. We ended up taking him home and called her to let her know he was fine and had been neutered and updated on his shots and stuff.

Jeff just got a call from her. She said she was in town and wanted to see him, if it was ok. She asked us to drop him off at her motel room for an hour or so and pick him up after. Jeff, being the trusting soul he is, said it was no problem. I am a little apprehensive about just dropping him off. What if she takes off with him? We will be crushed.

Judging from the letter she left with him, she did love him a lot but couldn't keep him for whatever reason. I know how I felt when I had to give up a cat many years ago (fighting amongst the brood... had to rehome the troublemaker). I was very glad to be able to visit with him occasionally. I don't want to say no to her, but I am so worried she will take him and leave... we will never be able to find her.

What should I do? He is such an important part of our family. I thought maybe she should come HERE to visit, but it's really hard for me to trust someone in her profession in the house around our stuff. Even if I keep an eye on her, I can't really be EVERYWHERE in the house.

I am horribly lost.

The Maine Coon Mafia (litter mates)
Casey - Male Maine Coon, 3 years
Mak - Male Maine Coon, 3 years

The abandoned newcomer: Linus - Male Tabby, 1 year
Minnie - Female Tortie, RIP 9/3/93-8/18/09 (In Heaven, but never far from our hearts)

The Pooches... Best friends for life.
Miko - Male Chi/Terrier mix, 2 years
Mansa - Male Pit Bull, 1 year