Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old December 28th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Best Kibble for Coat??

Looking to see what other people use. Bayley is shedding like a fool and I think it's the food, I bought some Actrium and it just doesn't seem to be agreeing with her. The ingredients looked alright but something's missing. I don't think it's anything health related like thyroid, she's not gaining or losing weight, her energy level hasn't changed and everything else is good, normal pooping, peeing. There isn't much she doesn't like, don't need a really high protein food as we're not doing much exciting. So if it's a lower calorie that's fine too.
Old December 28th, 2012, 06:41 PM

3 of my 5 are blowing coat like mad right now. I usually add a bit of olive or salmon oil to their food (Acana) and it seems to help the undercoat come out easier and keeps the skin from drying out.
Old December 28th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Hey Kit, so it's not just us!! It's like Jeez dog enough with the hair already! The cats are going to be coughing up dog hair balls!! I can see why sled dogs stay outside!! I have to go animal food shopping tomorrow so I guess I'll splurge on a bag of Acana, she likes it. I used a slicker on her today and 5 minutes later there's loose hair on her! I don't remember her shedding as much last year!!
Old December 28th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

I give my two egg. to help with theirs to help keep it soft and shinny and ginger is blowing her coat a bit.if i;m having egg they get it cooked and if not they get it raw.
Old December 29th, 2012, 07:51 AM

I've always been a big fan of dry foods such as Acana, Orijen, Go! Fit + Free, Oven Baked Parallel and Instinct. I always do grain free, high protein. I tried mine on Fromm grain free and it did not go over well, their coats were dull and skin got flakey. I then did one bag of Acana Lamb and Apple which has oats in it, Ranger got ill and again their condition failed to please me. This was also at the same time I stopped doing half PMR. I've now started the half PMR again and will stick to only grain free and rotate my bags every month. I also add in pumpkin and coconut oil.

Last edited by LooneyBoone; December 29th, 2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old December 29th, 2012, 08:18 AM

LooneyBoone, I had the exact same problem when I got a bag of Acana with grain. Normally I feed Acana grain free but got a bag of the other stuff cheap and regreted it. 2 of 4 dogs definitely had up-set stomachs. It seems to be an individual dog thing.

Patty, LOL I might just as well leave the vacuum on full time. There's even hair on the walls! Sa-neeze!
Old December 29th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Senior Contributor

I've read that simply changing food will provoke shedding in some dogs. You may be setting up a vicious circle when it's simply time for her to shed anyway. With mine I do notice that shed time varies from year to year and the intensity varies too. If the food is otherwise working fine I'd be inclined to just brush and vacuum more.

That said I do rotate three foods for my Lab. A change does not make him shed and none of the foods resolves his dry, harsh coat by itself. I supplement with EFAs to improve his coat with all three foods.

A consideration; is the heat on in your house? Is your house properly humidified? Could be your culprit and not the food at all.

Good luck.
Old December 29th, 2012, 11:59 AM

If the food works well for you dog it shouldn't affect their shedding. I change foods every month and notice no change in shedding, until I added in a grain inclusive Acana.

My three got horrible at the begining of December, I could sweep the house 3 times a day and get dustpan fulls, it was crazy. But it was their usual time. I'll go through it all over again come spring. Ugh.
Old December 29th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

thanks for all the tips. Our place is dry but her skin doesn't seem to be flaky at all. Hair on the walls, eh!!?? I'm glad I'm not alone!! I got one of those brooms with the rubber bristles and it does an awesome job of sweeping hair.
Old December 29th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

I switch up my foods but stay with in the brand. for me with gingin i have an allergy to her coat.and we get the fur everywhere. vaccum out dogs run..shop vac out jag will follow to be vaccumed. skin not dry he either i give the egg for the coat and they like when i put garlic power on the eggs when i cooking theirs and mine.
Old December 29th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I got a bag of Go chicken and salmon senior and a bottle of salmon oil capsules....so that should make her shiny again and if that doesn't help I give up and I'm just gonna let the hair collect on the floor and felt it and have wall to wall carpet!!
Old January 2nd, 2013, 11:17 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

so it seems to be workinng!! I think the 1000 ml salmon oil plays a big part. Definately pays spending more on decent food too.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 01:37 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We just switched over to Grizzly Salmon Oil and it's working well, too.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 14th, 2013, 11:28 AM

We've recently moved our dogs on to Viand. (you can find it by searching for viand pet food).
Phoebe our collie, is getting on a bit and we were looking for a good food for senior dogs. We ended up trying Viand and there's been a definite improvement. So we tried it with Kara too and she loved it.
The ingredients are all really natural with lots of vitamins and stuff. We're even thinking about get some for the cat too!