Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old May 12th, 2008, 10:18 AM

Question Vomiting after eating (Orijen)?

I am posting this here as well as in the Medical Section.
I just recently adopted a dog (Doberman X Standard Poodle Mix). I have been gradually switching him (over 3 weeks and only at half old food half new food) from Iams to Orijen. Recently, since I started adding more of the orijen and less of the Iams, he has been vomiting after eating. He eats and then vomits within one minute. At first I thought it may be due to the fact that I was feeding him within 20 minutes of a strenuous exercise. When I first brought him home and when he was predominantly on the Iams he didnt vomit after eating within 20 minutes of exercise. After he vomits, I fill his bowl and give him much less than I did before he vomited and he eats it fine and doesnt vomit. This is within minutes after vomiting. He also drinks water when we come in from exercise, but like i said he didnt have this issue when I was jsut feeding him Iams. Yesterday he vomited in the morning for the first time after eating. He also just came inside from exercising. The vomit is basically his food and the mucous from his stomach. He appears to be fine and I just had his wellness exam at the vets and he is healthy. I am wondering if I should try a less rich food with grains(was thinking Innova Adult - any opinions) I fed him Some canidae that I had left over with his Iams and Orijen this morning and he did fine. I tried waiting for longer after they exercise and fed him less last night and he seemed okay with the orijen, but I fed him a lot less.

Any ideas?

Thank you
Old May 12th, 2008, 04:07 PM

I might try a different Grain Free, or something with a different protein source. Particularily because you say that there is mucus on the kibble, I am wondering if your dog is not tollerating some protein source in the Orijen. You could try a "grained" food with an alternate protein such as venison, duck or salmon, or maybe the Orijen fish, but I am not sure that you can get that there, and with the issues as of late, maybe a different brand???
Innova is a great food, GO! Natural, and I am sure you will get some other thoughts.
I like these two foods particularliy because the are calorie dense (more than any other foods) and so you will feed less than even traditional calorically dense kibble.
Old May 13th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Investigative researcher

Is he eating the Orijen faster and chewing less than with the Iams? I know my dogs try to inhale it.. I haven't had vomit problems with it--but I did when feeding other foods with grain in. However, since there is no beet pulp in Orijen, I feed it almost floating in cool water--slows down the inhaling nicely, and helps them feel full when they are eating much less kibble than they feel they should.
Old May 13th, 2008, 02:27 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Ops, I responded in the other thread of yours...see your other thread.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:14 AM
-

I responded in your other thread as well. I think you are feeding him too soon after exercising.
Old June 9th, 2008, 12:58 AM

(Orijen)

Orijen has a product with only one protein source. If you think protein could be the problem, try that one.
Mountain Dog Food low fibre is also a good food without grain products. Might be worth a try.