Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old April 7th, 2007, 12:07 PM

Nobody will ever know, because we weren't on that bus....

The building where I work is "scent free" (all military bldgs are). Myself and a few coworkers put on a spritz of perfume in the morning, but we can hardly smell it on one another. However, I had a run-in with a civillian lady who came down to get some stuff - I could smell her before I saw her! And her perfume was horrible!

After I got her the things she requested (I work in the QM), I told her "you know, your perfume is quite strong...you might consider lightening up tomorrow" (I have absolutely no couthe, by the way). And she totally went off on me! "I have the right to wear whatever perfume I want and blah blah blah". I said to her "actually, this is a scent free building, so no, you don't have the right to wear whatever you want. You have to take into consideration the other people that work in this building. Some may have allergies or suffer adverse reactions to perfume".

After a stream of expletive deleted's, she called me a little bitch and walked away... So, I promptly went to my supervisor and tattled on her.

I'm sorry, I was trying to do her (and the others in the bldg) a favor and just approach her about her perfume. And she thinks she can start swearing and name calling??? I don't know what came of my tattling - we were stood down and sent home shortly after the incident. I guess I'll find out on Tuesday....
Old April 7th, 2007, 06:36 PM

I know it seems harsh ... but I can completely understand the bus driver's position.

Consider, for a moment, that his job is not like working in a cafe or supermarket or anything like that. It's a big investment in training to get that job, and it's not a temporary job for a few years like doing cash is; it's a job that he quite likely will work at until retirement, every day. Maybe 30 or 40 years. So I understand why he would stand up and not accept being given a headache and teary eyes every day by inconsiderate people.

The second factor to keep in mind is that it very well could be dangerous! It is very distracting and it makes some people's eyes well up! This is not good for a bus driver!!! It sounds a bit extreme, but if his eyes well up or he becomes dizzy and distracted, somebody - manybody perhaps - could get hurt or killed.
Old April 7th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsmom View Post
Personally, I think the wearing of perfume should be banned completely. I had a co worker that would marinate in the stuff, but when asked to not wear any, stated, "but I don't feel complete without it". Meanwhile another coworker was going into fullblown asthma attacks daily. How rude is that?

You got my vote on that one.

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old April 8th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Senior Contributor

I know what you are all saying,I was getting physically ill by the stink of Poison at that time and strong perfume in a reastaurant will make me loose my appetite.
However,whenever anyone brings up BANNING it makes my skin crawl,our politicians are more than happy to get on the BAN-wagon(especially in Ontario),banning dogs,banning leaf-blowers,banning SUV's,pickup trucks etc,etc...to get a few votes.,so they don't have to deal with the real problems,poverty,housing and others.
IMO a little diplomacy goes a long way,if someone makes you sick you try talking to them,often they are not aware,thinking people like their perfume..
Old April 9th, 2007, 01:33 AM

I don't think perfume should be banned... Where would it end? Would fragrances in body creams be allowed? What about in deodorant? Shampoo? It's a very slippery slope, even in an ideal world...
Old April 9th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
IMO a little diplomacy goes a long way,if someone makes you sick you try talking to them,often they are not aware,thinking people like their perfume..
Exactly, often people are not aware of how they are effecting others. We are already policed quite enough for our "own good" so that we don't have to use our common sense to deal with problems.
Old April 9th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Senior Contributor

The problem is many people have NO common sense. I mean, in the first place who would think it is a good thing to spray yourself with LOADS of perfume????

Old April 9th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Queen

I know its hopeless, I think thats why i'm so depressed.
Old April 9th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Senior Contributor

I just think that the spray-on perfume POURED over someone in a scent free city environment (where I work) screams arrogance. Especially when someone has been politely reminded (not by me, but by management, and the Health and Safety committee) to not wear it, has been told numerous times NOT to wear it, and has even been pulled off the rig to go wash it off, and persists in wearing it. Easter Saturday, the perfume was so strong our coworker was taken to hospital.

Ban perfume. I like the word ban.
Old April 10th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Queen

Here come the perfume police. They'll have no way of hiding will they.

That is horrible though when some people just don't care about how thier actions effect others.
Old April 10th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I was co-owner of a business a few years back. One of the employees began to wear a lot of perfume. Since this was a health food store obviously that wasn't acceptable. We asked her politely not to. She would "forget" and do it. Turned out we discovered she was putting more and more on after breaks to cover up the smell of her cigarettes. So instead of a slight cig odor for a bit after a break the whole *****ing store smelled like this god awful perfume ALL day. Both me and the other owner had massive headaches. In the end we offered her some incentive and help to quit smoking. I sold my portion of the business a short time later and it wasn't my issue anymore. I'm not sure how it all turned out but the woman is retired now. If I had been the sole owner I'd have issued a written warning after my first one was ignored and fired her afterwards. I know this was a small business and more personal but I can only imagine what the customers thought coming in through the cloud of perfume...many of whom shopped in health food stores cuz of allergies and such.