Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 6th, 2009, 09:34 AM

Let's compare dog induced injuries!

I have a laundry list, but here are the highlights:

My lip had to be sewn back together after a little poodle mix bit me about thirty years ago.
I lost a third of my pinkie to a dog a few years back.
Sola separated my wife's ACL joint pulling her toward another dog a few years back.

>>>And then there is this, slightly more embarrassing.<<<

You?

http://twitter.com/nigelbugger

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1117485381
Old February 6th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Senior Contributor

scar on my finger from when a groundhog bit me,(my grama wanted me out of her hair as a child and told me to go catch one *L*) I have arthritis in my back, knee's and neck from when a quarter horse reared up and fell backwards on me when I was 13............ouch *L* broken toes from cows stepping on me during milking, broken collar bones from being squished up against the barn wall by cows...who says farming isn't dangerous! *L* oh and a scar through my tattoo (ankle) from Brina wrapping her rope around it and deciding to go for a run (rubs my butt, that hurt too hitting the ground)
Old February 6th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

LOL I have a few!

lip ripped, open by my aunts beagle mix.
finger bit, by MIL cantankerous little poodle.
nose bit, 4 puncture wounds by a Sandy Rinaldo's (from CTV) Springer Spanial
2 black eye's and bloody nose from my childhood dog (she jumped up while I was leaning over her, top of her head smashed my nose.

and that's just the worst
and I still LOVE dogs

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old February 6th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Senior Contributor

It's funny this should be posted today. Basil, in his joy to see me when I can home from work, managed to split my lip yesterday with his big, dumb head. Hadn't happened in years, so I guess I was due to be roughed up by the dogs a little.

The most dramatic dog injury story, however, happened a few years back. My brother and I were walking the dogs and had almost made it home when Basil spotted his boyf (aka love of Basil's life, the human version of Basil, he who shall get all of Basil's love and attention) riding up to the front door on his bike. Wanting to give the love of his life/human version of himself the 'welcome' he deserved, Basil started to rear up like a deranged pony, squeal like a pig and twirl around like a ballerina, all at once.

My poor brother, not knowing the power of Basil's love, leaned over to get a better grip on the leash just as one of the dog's paws flew into the air. A toenail caught my brother's nostril (so very undignified really) and blood started shooting everywhere. I was convinced his nose had been half ripped off.

That might have been the end of it, but oh no, that's not how things go with Basil.......

We got the brother upstairs to try and clean up his face and see what was going on, but apparently it was all a bit much for me. On my way to get some gauze in the bathroom I fainted, taking down 2 bikes and a garbage can. I came to, dragged myself out from under the various metal objects and continued to try to get to the medicine cabinet. This was clearly not a good idea as I fainted twice more, insuring that pretty much every single part of the front half of my body had some sort of enormous bruise, a couple rather lovely, having taken the shape of the bike gears.

In the end I was fine though and my brother went to the ER to have the 2mm, yes mm, tear in his nostril glued shut. To this day he still blames Basil and I for permanently disfiguring him
Old February 6th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Senior Contributor

1. Bit in the face while trying to rescue a dog. Scarred for life but I'm ok with it. 8 puncture wounds.
2. Kicked in the forhead by a horse...my fault.
3. Finger severed by a squirrel.....luckily put back together with limited mobility. (squirrel was in pain...my fault).
4. 'Beaked' under the eye by an injured seagull...he was in pain - what can I tell you...(not my fault but I understand).
5. Numerous dog bites....hazzard of the job.

I think that covers it.
Old February 6th, 2009, 08:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I loved your blog, LNeilB! You're quite a writer! Are you working on a book?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 6th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Mom of Cody and Nova

I'm still young, but have had a couple of injuries myself, none too serious thankfully! I'm hoping I won't get many more injuries, but if I continue working with animals it will always be a risk.

- Knee was dislocated by my dog, Nova
- Hands have been punctured by rescued pet rat bites, they were scared/ or in pain, so I blame myself for not being more careful.
- Right Thumb was fractured by a Lab's big head last year.
- Was bitten on my left hand by a Yorkshire Terrier, still have some light scarring.
Old February 6th, 2009, 08:56 PM
-

I have one great dane who's almost bigger than me ..... I rest my case
Old February 6th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Live well, laugh often

Hmmmm, no broken bones (touches wood quickly) but many, many bruises, scratches and a lost toenail .
Old February 6th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Hmmm. I've only been a dog owner for 10 months and the only one I have is from a few weeks ago. I was trying to put Skylar's snazzy new winter jacket on her and she was resisiting, I was over top of her with my chin hovering above her head trying to get her legs through the holes. All of a sudden she jerked her head up and smashed my chin on a weird angle and pain exploded in my jaw and ear. It took a few days for the pain to subside completely.

-bitten by kittens I was trying to rescue, clean through my fingernail.
-too many cat scratches to count, Angus' claws are lethal weapons and he knows how to use them a little to expertly.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old February 7th, 2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I loved your blog, LNeilB! You're quite a writer! Are you working on a book?

Oh thank you very much! No books in the works - Life With Dogs is a fun hobby but does not pay the bills. I'm an IT person by trade

http://twitter.com/nigelbugger

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1117485381
Old February 7th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Kicked in the shoulder by a horse. I was kicked so hard I fell back over and couldnt get up.

Bit by the same horse. it hurt alot.

Both times she was trying to protect her baby from another horse and i was trying to protect the other horse from the mama! What can I say, Cinnamen wouldnt have been able to handle a kick from a horse twice her size at the age of 30. It would have been too much for her :sad:

Cat scrath to the eye, which required a hostpital trip. I was about 4-5 years old. Could have possibly lost vision in that eye.

Nocked over a warf by my uncles lab, unfortunatly the tide was out and I hit the rocks in under. fell about 10 feet. Janie was too excited to see me I was 10 yrs old.

A cat grabbed me by both ears with his claws. I was holding him when a dog walked by and he was scared. I had wounds inside my ears and on the side of my face, which were bleeding, alot.

I was play wrestling one of my friends and his dog didnt like it, and he bit my arm and dragged me to the ground. the dog was about 90 lbs i was about 80.

Keely has bitten me quite a few times. Drawing blood. It was an accident.

My fingers were chewed up by my rabbit. She was given to me by somebod that didnt tke care of her and she had very little to no human contact in her whole life. So she was very scared. My fault.

Ill probably think of more later..lol
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old February 7th, 2009, 07:34 PM
-

When I first started reading this thread, I thought 'cept for a few nips and scratches, nothing major.....then I thought about it

Cocoa is the kind of dog who decides she is gonna take a route from A - B no question about it. One night I was getting wood to put on the woodstove and she decided to walk between me and the fireplace consequently making my knee buckle, I fell onto the woodstove, I didn't want to put my hand down to save myself (didn't want to burn my palm) so I put my forearm down and pushed myself off......I have a scar about 5 inches long in the shape of The Americas.

Skippy was lying in front of the woodstove, I went to put wood and not wanting to disturb him, went at the stove from an angle kneeling down, my one foot slipped on the wood floor, shot out and twisted and broke my hip.

Still recovering from my hip, one night I was calling Herbie to come in from outside, he wasn't coming right away, I came to come back inside, didn't see him walking across the front of me, tripped, put my hand forward to stop from falling and broke my wrist.

Yup I'm a KLUTZ
Old February 7th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Chris. I think you should get electric heating!
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old February 7th, 2009, 09:08 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNeilB View Post
Oh thank you very much! No books in the works - Life With Dogs is a fun hobby but does not pay the bills. I'm an IT person by trade
Yeah, my dog writing doesn't pay the bills, either! You should consider compiling some of your stuff for publishing, though! That piece was very well done! And these days, chuckles are a precious commodity!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 7th, 2009, 10:23 PM

I can't say much for injuries. When i was 8 i got my finger bit by a canadian goose really hard and i live with 2 chihuahuas and 2 cats so my extent of my injuries is an occasional (little) paw in my face when were playing.
Old February 8th, 2009, 04:14 AM

LNeilB love the blog, great sense of humour

Small scars on both hands from my childhood cats

Scars on my arm from a neighbours female Rottie - got in the middle of a fight between her & my dog. After attacking him, she grabbed my arm & shook it like a ragdoll, three puncture wounds required a trip to the ER 4 hours & 4 sutures, they're still visible 5 years later.

Oh and I got bucked off a horse, was told I flew 4 feet in the air before landing flat on my back - no injures

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Last edited by growler~GateKeeper; February 8th, 2009 at 04:37 AM.
Old February 8th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Investigative researcher

Let's see....Dog induced:
Age 3, neighbours small dog nipped my cheek, still have tiny scar.

Age 4, I teased my brother's rough collie mix and he snapped at the toast, getting my face[he was above me at face level on an embankment]. Sliced open my eyelid, which inverted, and parents thought it my eyeball. Took many stitches and still have odd eyelid if you examine it closely. Unfortunately, the dog lost his life for that.

Age 7, playing in another neighbours yard with their weimeraner. Small pup from across the street ran down the road, and I ran after. Weim ran after me, and picked me up by the thigh. Prey drive kicked in, and old men owners couldn't stop him. After carrying me home, I didn't feel too awful until mom removed my ripped jeans to reveal several small punctures and a three inch long slash at the front top of my thigh--I still remember the layers of tissue right to the bone. That took a LOT of stitches, and I still have the scar, and it is still 3 inches long. Not once did I blame the dogs involved, but I do feel a wee bit odd about Weims, lol. Nevertheless, I have groomed, trained, bred and raised littters, and have always owned dogs, lol.

Age 30, several small bites from indignant cocker spaniels--the worst while grooming of any breed I found.

Cats: several small bites and scratches over the years, nothing too major.

Horses: kicked once, bucked off three times, bitten once, stepped on several times. Have owned 15 of the darlings.

Moose in game farm: bitten while petting

Wild deer and caribou: kicked during rescues

Wild Chipmunks: bitten twice, but I caught them by hand, so...

Domestic Rabbits: kicked, but hey, I raised them for years

Cows: kicked once, pushed over, but I milked 70 of em for a living

Chickens: rooster attacks are horrendous--but I still like calm ones, one of my favorite pets was a bantam rooster

Geese: beaten by wings, but again, had a lovely emden who was the pet of the family

The list goes on with smaller critters, since I have owned hamsters, mice, rats, gerbils, caged birds, snakes and fish, but little damage caused by them.

This is what occurs when you are born with an unlimited capacity for loving animals even before you have any idea how, lol.
Old February 9th, 2009, 09:50 PM

Fish hurt. My skunks get me every time i clean the tank. Also My parrot fish go for me and hurt too. I was also bit by a doberman when i was 12 delivering papers.
Old February 10th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Owned by Saints

I own 2 Saint Bernard so I've had my fair share of head butts, being stepped on and zoomied into. The results.. a broken toe, lumps, bumps and bruises and a tweeked knee.

The worst was from a stray cat that I brought in. She was sleeping on the stairs and instead of moving her I tried to step over her. Bad idea... She stood up and I fell down 10 stairs on my butt and broke my tailbone. That was one of the most painful breaks I've had.

Other than those I've been bitten by a hampster, rabbit, ferret and a large Red Devil (huge fish).
Old February 10th, 2009, 06:35 PM

I was maybe about 7 or 8, and I got my knuckle bitten by my rabbit- my hand went a little too close to his bum.

I was about 12 or 13 when I fell off a horse after doing a some jump I wasn't supposed to do.. it was something like an oxer, three consecutive jumps that the horse had to bounce over one by one. Very high. I lost my stirrup on the second and fell off after the third. It was maybe my second or third jump ever.

At around 13-14,I then managed to slip off a pony named Satine- she was maybe 13hh, and her saddle was teeny tiny. Basically, my butt couldn't fit (it overflowed over the back of the saddle). This led me to be unbalanced, allowing my to slip off when we cantered around a corner.

Two lessons later, I was riding Leo, a tall chestnut.. well, we went towards the jump, and he was being lazy that day.. I meant to tap him just a tad harder with the crop, but my mom said that I had raised my arm high and smacked down hard (I don't know my own strength). He then freaked and proceeded to buck me off- my instructor gave me a 10 on 10 for doing a perfect handstand and flip when I landed.
My mom then pulled me out of the classes, even while saying she must have jinxed me, since she was paranoid I was going to fall again after I slipped off Satine. Gee, thanks mom. You took away the only sport I ever liked and could do.

I then got conked on the chin when I was trying to hold down my friends puppy, Ozzy, to keep him from attacking (with love) someone who was at the door. He raised his head and boy, does he have a hard one.

Then there's also the fact that my kitten, Chloe, likes to run up my back to sit on my shoulder. I had been busy for the past four weekends, and since I clip her nails while she's asleep, I didn't have the opportunity since I was gone. And of course, no one else can cut her nails, so I have to deal with foot-long scratches up my back.
Old February 10th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Dog induced injuries:
many welts and bruises from the tails of many Pitbulls...People don't need to be afraid of Pitbulls, just their tails!

split lip, from head butt by GSD

split lip and broken nose from Collie, he bolted I landed on my face on the pavement.

having my heart broken, when one of my furry babies has passed on...I don't think the heart ever mends completely
Old February 11th, 2009, 12:42 AM

Oh you guys are doing way better than me! The worst I've had in recent memory is when I punched Scruffy in the face and we both bled all over the dog park!
NO wait I'm telling that wrong. I am the innocent party, I swear! I was attempting to throw his frisbee at the exact second he chose to get the frisbee for himself. Of course he picked the time I decided to throw it REALLY FAR for him, with all my might..sigh.
It would have been ok but all I had to staunch the blood was two kleenexes, and because I was on the ground all the dogs came over to see what was going on..sigh... dogs are so helpful! And curious!
I swear Scruffy and I are blood bonded after that one. Was a couple weeks before I could use my hand normally but he seemed fine.
Old February 11th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etown_Chick View Post
Oh you guys are doing way better than me! The worst I've had in recent memory is when I punched Scruffy in the face and we both bled all over the dog park!
NO wait I'm telling that wrong. I am the innocent party, I swear! I was attempting to throw his frisbee at the exact second he chose to get the frisbee for himself. Of course he picked the time I decided to throw it REALLY FAR for him, with all my might..sigh.
It would have been ok but all I had to staunch the blood was two kleenexes, and because I was on the ground all the dogs came over to see what was going on..sigh... dogs are so helpful! And curious!
I swear Scruffy and I are blood bonded after that one. Was a couple weeks before I could use my hand normally but he seemed fine.
... I'm glad you and Scruffy are ok, and I'm not surprised all the other dogs came running, they sensed a "doggyperson" was down and came to offer their assistance!
Glad to hear your hand is on the mend.
Old February 11th, 2009, 01:06 AM
cat slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitgrrl View Post

The most dramatic dog injury story, however, happened a few years back. My brother and I were walking the dogs and had almost made it home when Basil spotted his boyf (aka love of Basil's life, the human version of Basil, he who shall get all of Basil's love and attention) riding up to the front door on his bike. Wanting to give the love of his life/human version of himself the 'welcome' he deserved, Basil started to rear up like a deranged pony, squeal like a pig and twirl around like a ballerina, all at once.
.....do i sense a tad of............JEALOUSY here?

ok i have no dog related injuries
...but my first little guinea pig liked to grab my skin and pull with his teeny teefs. He was showing affection. I still have the scars. It reminds me of my little Ben
Old February 11th, 2009, 01:26 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

pitgrrl...somehow I missed your tail....urm...tale of Basil's disfiguration of your bro...until I just saw part of it in jiorji's post ()...and I must say, your adventure was right up there with the best of them! Oh...sorry...I mean :sad:

Old February 11th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
pitgrrl...somehow I missed your tail....urm...tale of Basil's disfiguration of your bro...until I just saw part of it in jiorji's post ()...and I must say, your adventure was right up there with the best of them! Oh...sorry...I mean :sad:

In retrospect it's actually hilarious.......at the time it was a bit horrible
Old February 11th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, my darling tripod Abby, inflicted a serious owie on me today:sad:, we were playing on the floor and I was rubbing her throat down under her collar.
Well the doorbell rang and she bolted, my hand was still under her collar. She almost dislocated my elbow. I answered the door, choking back the tears cuz damn it hurt. After the delivery guy left I started bawling.
I think she pulled all the muscles in my forearm, I can barely lift anything and my hand is numb and swollen as well.
If the swelling doesn't start to go down by tomorrow I guess I'll have to make a trip to see the doctor.
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Rottie owner and lover

lets see now.... Bumped in the chin many times, nipped by a rescue dog, tripped and hurt myself bad by good ole Harley, almost cracked my head,
stepped on, and a scratch all the way down my back by my friends dog