Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old March 17th, 2005, 08:39 PM

This is the newest pic I have of him stacked. We are working on it, and taking a handling class. Can't wait to see a pic of your pup on here
Quote:
my 4.5 month old Doberman is a grandson to the well known Lex Luther
Quote:
I guess it takes all kinds...
I do suppose that's the truth
Attached Images

Old March 17th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, I know nothing about food or the show ring....but you have an absolutly GORGEOUS pooch!! I love Dobies...don't be shy to post more pics

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old March 17th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjranch
Awaiting my papers for pup. As soon as I have it, I'll post dam's info.
But you should have already known this info before you got your pup.The breeder would have given you it.

You asked me before if Kikko's breeder was in Ontario.Yuppers.She's in Schomberg.There was actually someone who was on here quite some time ago who was looking for a Dobe pup.Her previous Dobe passed on.I actually referred her to this same breeder.She got a beautiful pup,I think she was 5 months old.This pup was returned back to the breeder.What kennel name is Dillenger from?
Old March 18th, 2005, 08:17 AM

The dam owner did show me all the info...dams' papers, 7 generation back pedigree.. the usual. I don't remember it all of course He offered me copies of it all, I told him to just send it to me in the package with the papers. I should have it all within the next week. I will post it as soon as I have it... you can bet on it!

The kennel name is UltraSound (through sire) as I said before the dam owner is not a registered breeder. He has only had 2 litters from the bitch, and has spayed her now. She (I believe) is also an UltraSound dog and passed the criteria for UltraSound to allow a breeding to Damian. The contract I have is from the dam owner, in association with ultrasound kennels.
Does that answer the question?
Old March 18th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Senior Contributor

I know nothing about showing or papers,but he certainly is a beauty :love:
Old March 18th, 2005, 09:27 AM

He is a handsome boy!! I just love that age when the front legs look Soooo big, kinda flintstone feet
Love the pics, look forward to more.
Old March 19th, 2005, 12:05 AM
Senior Contributor

There is no way the Dam came from Ultrasond Kennels.They,along with all other breeders have a spay/neuter contract for their "pet" quality pups.And they have a Non-Breeding contract for their "show" quality pups.And since the Dam owner was not a registered kennel,and didn't show,then she would have been put on a spay contract.Amy,Kikko's mom,knows them at Ultrasound very well.They competed in a few shows together...

And the main reason his Dam is not from Ultrasound,because then your Dillinger would actually be Ultrasound.Ultrasound is the registered kennel name.Did that make sense?

If I went against my breeders contract,I would have been fined $5000 each for my dogs.If you go against a Non-Breeding contract,and it is stated on the registration papers,then the CKC will NOT let you register the pups.

I'm not trying to start a war here,just stating the facts.I know alot of breeders and have been to many many shows.And as a member of the CKC,I have also helped out.

Last edited by mona_b; March 19th, 2005 at 12:18 AM.
Old March 19th, 2005, 08:31 AM

And once again, thanks for the info on what to feed my puppy to increase caloric intake

I don't recall saying she was sold on a pet contract. I do recall saying I believe she was originally sold to this gentleman from Ultrasound. They DO have an association (my contract states it clearly) I hate to contradict you (you seem to know so much) but, those are the facts in this case.
BYB? no,
Puppymill? no.
Good, responsible and loving dam owner WITH an agreement with Ultrasound for breeding to one of their studs.
Take it however you want...those are the facts in this situation......

The litter and individual papers were registered by dam owner (like they should be) and I was allowed to pick the name I wanted for my dog I would have been able to use Ultrasound in his name if i choose to...I choose not to.

I certainly do not appreciate your innuendo that I am lying about the lineage of my dog. Especially when I clearly stated the dam's history at this point is unclear to me (due to poor memory on my part until paperwork arrives) I am regretting not taking it in hand when I had the chance (if only to prove to you the truth). But, I told dam owner to send it along in the mail with the papers. I have spoken with Ultrasound kennels owner and he too has a male from that litter for showing...... 'splain that one away!
Old March 19th, 2005, 01:04 PM

Before this thread goes and gets all crabby again, can I ask the show dog people a question?

Why is it that whenever a show dog is standing, the handler moves his legs back? What does that do?
Old March 19th, 2005, 01:05 PM

And about the fodd issue-- A few of us said before that the best thing would be to buy a better food so you have to feed less and then move the serving up a bit. We give you advice, you just don't like the advice we give.
Old March 19th, 2005, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
And about the fodd issue-- A few of us said before that the best thing would be to buy a better food so you have to feed less and then move the serving up a bit. We give you advice, you just don't like the advice we give.

I have no problem with advice that was given in regards to the food. I appreciated it all, and have actually implemented some of the suggestions into my fed program (see past posts) The comment I think you're refering to was directed at the previous poster... it was not a 'general' comment
Old March 19th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Why is it that whenever a show dog is standing, the handler moves his legs back? What does that do?
This is called "stacking" and to the best of my knowledge, it's done to show the dog's conformation to the best advantage.
Old March 19th, 2005, 06:19 PM

Maybe that postition is like stillettos in humans-- accentuate the muscles in the best possible way?
Old March 19th, 2005, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
Maybe that postition is like stillettos in humans-- accentuate the muscles in the best possible way?
I believe (in my limited show knowledge) it's not so much the muscles as the proper angles of the skeleton. Maybe a successful show person could share the reasons with us?? I'd love to know also
Old March 19th, 2005, 10:34 PM

Sorry lots of posts and I didn't read them all -- if you still are wondering about putting wieght on your dog, our vet suggested vegitable or olive oil on their food. Our husky was serverly underweight when we got her and this quickly put the healthy pounds on. THen when she was up to wieght we stopped the oil and it stopped putting weight on without reducing the amount we fed her.
Old March 19th, 2005, 10:44 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Deborah D
My pup is not underwieght at all. He is doing great at this point. I was concerned that with an increase in his exercise (to help him build some muscles) he would require a greater calorie intake. I've been given some great ideas so far, and am using some of them. I am sticking with the Nutro Natural and have added 2 tbls of cottage cheese in his breakfast and 2 heaping tbls of yogurt in his supper. We took a very fun walk at our local offleash park today. He made many new friends and burned MANY calories! He got his dinner early tonight and a snack 20mins ago. Sleeping like a true baby at the moment

GADOBES - Thank You

*I do add flax seed oil to my horses ration during the winter why haven't I thought of that??

Last edited by wjranch; March 19th, 2005 at 10:46 PM. Reason: after thought
Old March 19th, 2005, 11:27 PM

I'm going to do some research and math on the flaxseed oil. I will be adding it to my pups feed (*still can't believe I haven't thought of it before) It is seriously good for their health, skin, coat etc etc.
If you plan to use Olive Oil....only use extra virgin and check that the label says it is 'cold pressed'.. I understand that is the most beneficial type to feed. I'm not sure if you need to feed both, but, you can be sure when I have finished researching it I will forward the info to you
Old March 20th, 2005, 12:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GADOBES
I bet if she knew insecure people were going to be insulting, negative and snotty to make themselves feel important
No one has been any of the above you have stated.

She came on here stating that she was not going to have him neutered.And said why.So the questions came out.She stated that the Dams owner does not show.So this also tells us she has no titles.And those of us who know something about breeding,know that no reputable(reg'd)breeder would ever stud out their CH dog to a sire like that.They breed to better the breed.And they will stud out to the best.As they will not have just any dog stud their Dams.

Yes I know she is new to the show world.But knowing the lineage has nothing to do with that.Before I got my dogs,I talked to alot of breeders and went to see them all at the dog shows.I finally chose my breeder.I was put on a waiting list.I was shown the pedigrees(5 generations) along with all the pics.This was from both Sire and Dam.They came from a line of champions and titled dogs.Could I have used my dogs as stud?Heck yes.But I coulldn't because of the neuter contract I was on.They were both health and genetic tested.One is titled.That's because he was in Police Work.My other,who I lost in Sept was my suckie baby.

Also,you can pick a name,which sometimes you can't have,and they have to pick it.BUT,you cannot change the breeders name.This is what's on the registration papers from birth.

Example.

CH Whisper Hill's In Vogue...Whisper Hill's is the reg'd kennel name.This is the name you cannot change.

LR is right.That's exactly why it's done. ...What ends up happening is sometimes the dog is off just a wee bit when "stacking"..So the handler just has to put the dog in the right spot.The majority do it right on the spot,where as others just need a bit of help.There are no faults for this...

Last edited by mona_b; March 20th, 2005 at 03:22 PM.
Old March 20th, 2005, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GADOBES

William Boetcker-
You cannot raise a man up by calling him down.
Someone tell that to Bob Barker...

Ok back to the topic at hand...
Old March 20th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I bet if she knew insecure people were going to be insulting, negative and snotty to make themselves feel important, I'm sure she would have never asked.
I would not consider this particularly "tactful". "Insecure people"? Please leave hasty and judgemental insults out of this. They are unnecessary in mature discussion.

Thank you.
Old March 20th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Senior Contributor

White rice has more carbohydrates and sodium, and less of many nutrients than other kinds of rice. I wouldn't recommend it for putting on healthy weight.
Old March 20th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Senior Contributor

GADOBES.

When she was asking about how she could more or less "bulk" up her pup since she intends to show.I ask her to talk to her breeder about this.Then she stated he didn't show.So of course he has no knowledge and she can't really go to him.This is where a red flag came up to me.Any reg'd breeder would be right there helping you with showing and the feeding,and any other question you have.Then she came on here,which is fine.But I'm sorry,anyone who doesn't show or have titled dogs IS in my eyes a BYB.He isn't even a reg'd breeder.This is why I have been asking a lot of questions about the Dam.When it came to any questions about anything with my dogs,I went to the breeder.Who,was breeding for over 20 years.Who showed and also had titled dogs in SCH III.This also went for the Sire.I deal with breeders,so yes,I do have experience with them.And I know what they are all about.So because of this,I was offering my experience.Also,if the vet says he is in fine shape,why fix something that isn't broken.You can only be making matters worse.And to me,he does look fine and isn't underweight or anything.
Old March 20th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Senior Contributor

NO NO NO

Please do NOT give him Avacodos.....They are highly toxic to dogs.
Old March 20th, 2005, 04:43 PM

Sometimes what is in certain dog foods can be harmful-- Soy foods have been shown to cause bloat...
Old March 20th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Hmmm,to be honest,I have never heard of that brand of food.

But I do know that avacodos are toxic to dogs.There have been a few links put on here about it.I'll try to find them.
Old March 20th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Performance Spaniels

AvoDerm Adult Chicken Meal & Rice

Ingredient Name

1. Lamb Meal

2. Ground Brown Rice

3. Ground White Rice

4. Rice Bran

5. Chicken Fat

6. Flaxseed

7. Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal

8. Dried Egg Product

9. Avocado Oil

10. Lecithin

11. Brewer's Dried Yeast

12. Natural Flavors

13. Rosemary Extract

14. Sage Extract

15. Vitamins/Minerals
Old March 20th, 2005, 07:30 PM

If research show a food is toxic, it's toxic. Whether a dog food company advocates it or not. If Solid Gold put chocolate in dog food and said it leads to a shinier coat, I wouldn't really listen because I have seen what chocolate has done to dogs.

I'll go read on avocados.

Last edited by Prin; March 20th, 2005 at 07:34 PM.
Old March 20th, 2005, 07:34 PM

The problem with avocados is that the pit contains cyanide which is deadly for dogs. Whether the dog food company takes the pit out.... That's where the issue is.
Old March 20th, 2005, 07:59 PM

You could do a few things here. One is contact the OVC at University of Guelph. They do a lot of research on nutrition. They may have some actual factual data. You could also inquire with the dog food company. Sure they could lie but really.... they will probably give you their explaination. Decide on that. Talk to people who have the most experience with this to be sure.
Old March 20th, 2005, 11:08 PM

I have been doing some reading on flaxseed oil for my dog. I already use it as an additive for my horse and like what it does for her.
According to the research I've done, cardiomyopathy (problem in Dobie's) is tentativly being linked with low levels of taurine, Omega 3 & 6. Flaxseed oil will provide the Omega 3 & 6, so I am planning (after consult with my vet, as the ratio needs to be determined) on adding it to his daily rations.
If my vet agrees that it is prudent to add to his diet, I will keep you all informed of how he's doing.

P.S. I am also looking into including him in the heart study as well.