Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old December 29th, 2009, 08:18 PM
-

When is it too cold for a Pyrenee ?

Stupid question maybe I've looked for infos on web but ended up on a stupid website where they said that most breeds can stay outside in winter if well taking care of IMO , no !

Churchill loves it outside , he does come in when I call him (I don't like for him to stay too long outside) but sometimes , will ask to go back after a while. he is not outside when I'm not home or at night , and won't ever be , even if he would love it , I don't

I will get him (or build) a doggy house in the spring but until then , he has no shelter when he's outside. Right now it's about -14*C , but wind chill factor -25*C

so .... what temp is too cold for a Pyrenee ?
Old December 29th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Tundra at 11 months. With temperatures in the single digits and a wind chill of -7 oF (-22 C) And Tundra is panting!
I didn;t add picture but he sure looks like Churchill

got that quote from a breeders site...if it helps.
Old December 29th, 2009, 08:44 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16 View Post
T a wind chill of -7 oF (-22 C) And Tundra is panting!
holy crap

I was afraid of him being too warm inside but , my house is not too warm (old house , crappy heaters) so he never pants .... but panting at -22*C ? ouch !

ok , I knew I was over reacting about the cold
Old December 29th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Senior Contributor

just to add...

another quote

The majestic Great Pyrenees has a thick, weather-resistant, double coat that protects him from extreme cold. All that long hair means lots of shedding! The Great Pyrenees is white and may have badger, reddish brown, grey, or tan markings. Although this breed lives well outdoors, he needs human companionship and attention and lots of space.
Old December 29th, 2009, 08:56 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16 View Post
he needs human companionship and attention and lots of space.
that he gets

I've also read that they shed .... but Churchill is not doing too bad , compare to goldens , he barely sheds
Old December 29th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
he barely sheds
Consider yourself lucky....with Winnie (Lab) all I do is vacuum
Old December 29th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Did I read when you adopted him that he had been left outside a lot? Maybe he thinks that's where he should be or he's used to it.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old December 29th, 2009, 09:35 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
Did I read when you adopted him that he had been left outside a lot? Maybe he thinks that's where he should be or he's used to it.
I thought about that too when he got here but , he now knows that I rather have him inside and he's getting used to it.

Of course , he seems to love just laying in the snow , I just don't want him to be cold
Old December 29th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Doggie Wench

If he knows you'll always let him in any time he wishes, I'm sure he'll give you some indication he's cold and he needs to.

Although not a Pyr, Lucky spent most of the days of his first winter with us laying outside on an old bed on the deck .
Old December 29th, 2009, 10:04 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post

Although not a Pyr, Lucky spent most of the days of his first winter with us laying outside on an old bed on the deck .
awww Lucky
Old December 29th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Churchill sounds like Noah. He also loves it outside even when it is bitterly cold. He just doesn't seem to feel it and no wonder with the coat on him. In the winter I can hardly find Noah's skin through all the undercoat. He likes to stay out in the backyard after the other dogs have all come inside and he'll lay around in the snow, or just up on the back deck outside the door. When he's ready to come in (sometimes not for a couple of hours) he scratches the door.

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com
Old December 30th, 2009, 10:22 AM

Sounds like my puppy Loki (Caucasian Ovcharka). The last time I took him to the dog park on a cold, windy day , I had to leave after a few hours because I couldn't feel my fingers and toes anymore. When we're walking back to the car, I look at him and he's just trotting along panting!

Caesar (Egyptian Mau/DSH X) - 7 yrs
Sable (Egyptan Mau/DSH X) - 6 yrs
Fluffy (Domestic Long Hair) - 4 yrs
Kali (Calico DSH) - 2 yrs?
Pandora (White Shepherd) - 2 yrs
Loki (Caucasian Ovcharka) - 7 mths
Angelique (Egyptian Mau/DSH X) - November 7, 2002 to May 2008

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all.
It's the best deal man has ever made." -M. Acklam

Last edited by Sheri H; December 30th, 2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old December 30th, 2009, 10:36 AM
-

It gets pretty nippy in the Pyrenees Frenchy, I don't think that it is ever too cold for them...He knows he can come in whenever he wants, he'll let you know believe me.....Yesterday I was cleaning the inside of the window that goes onto our mini deck, everytime I do I see the scratches on the glass right at the very top that Pepsi etched whenever she wanted in
Old December 30th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Ummmmm, if you post lots of pics of him outside we would have a better idea of how he is reacting to the cold. You should add pics of Nelly, Bailey, Jack and Sienna for us to get a real good handle on Churchill's reaction to the cold.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 30th, 2009, 03:07 PM

i have asked myself the same question

Seems like my Pyr, Luna (she's on the tiny side compared to your beautiful boy... 70 + lbs) doesn't like to come in either. She loves to sit in all her glory reigning supremely over her yard, and watch... and then maybe bark (of course, she is a pyr )... I can only get her to come in by shaking the cookie box. Sometimes.
Monty, my berner.. he'll sit out there hours if i let him. However, he'll ALWAYS come in for a cookie or a baby carrot!
Its been pretty freaking cold for toronto (as i'm a former Montrealer i undertand freaking cold), so i've been worried.... but they seem so happy... so its 15- 20 mins out, shake a cookie box, let monty in, put on my parka, go convince the stubborn Loo loo that she wants in, wrangle her in, and then repeat in about 40 mins.... i'm just their humble yard attendant.
Old December 31st, 2009, 09:30 AM
I'm a softy

This is a Big BIG problem here, we get weeks on end in the -40's, although the past couple weeks we have been lucky, but we did have a couple low -40 weeks, and I saw the toll it took on a couple dogs. If the dog is indoors they will have less coat than a full timer. A dog that is moving, playing, going for a walk will create heat and be much warmer than a dog sitting at the end of a chain in a plywood doghouse. It is usually the paw pads that get trouble first. The longer the dog snout, the more the air warms before getting to the lungs. Pyrs, samoyeds, ect, will put their tail over their nose to help warm the air, those are bigger worries than the body feeling cold.

Anyway, where you are, and what you are doing, your pupper will be just fine! They know to come in if they get cold the lucky ducks, the coated breeds just wont feel it if they are out for a play, and if running will create enough heat to pant. Your doggie is fine and happy, the most important thing to keep an eye on is paw pads. Maybe your pupper would like a little winter getaway here in manitoba with me? I have lotsa snow and cold, i could use company, huh? Huh? What ya think? Send 'em over!
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old December 31st, 2009, 03:02 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Ummmmm, if you post lots of pics of him outside we would have a better idea of how he is reacting to the cold. You should add pics of Nelly, Bailey, Jack and Sienna for us to get a real good handle on Churchill's reaction to the cold.
yes master yes !

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilli View Post
i'm just their humble yard attendant.
I know how you feel
Quote:
Originally Posted by lUvMyLaB<3 View Post
Maybe your pupper would like a little winter getaway here in manitoba with me? I have lotsa snow and cold, i could use company, huh? Huh? What ya think? Send 'em over!
Fat chance sista
Old January 1st, 2010, 02:36 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

pyrs have big heavy double coats, just like my guys. He's gonna hate summer and love winter. I'll let my guys stay out on bitterly cold days, when it's colder than -10 for an hour at the most and then make them come in for a bit. They love it out there though, the colder the better in their opinion, ha, ha. I'll sit out there with them for a while, but that's too cold for me for too long, so I just sit and watch them from the kitchen window once I've had enough of the cold. They want to go out all the time in the winter.
Mine have fur inside their ears and the bottoms of their feet are well furred too, so they are truly made for the cold.

clm