Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1  
Old March 18th, 2015, 04:30 PM
prayforsassy prayforsassy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 5
AIHA - so terrified for her.

Sassy is a 5-6 year old, spayed, rescued pit bull female..

Everything was so sudden. Last Wednesday, exactly a week ago, I noticed my baby was more tired than usual and didn't want to eat. I had just had to make a really tough decision in my life, and I thought maybe she was feeling my stress and sadness. The next day, things were the same. By Friday, I became really worried, and I took her temperature. I was shocked to see it read 104.9, and immediately went to the vet.

She did blood work and initially thought either a tick borne illness or an auto immune. Her red cells were low(not dangerous, yet), her platelets were low, and her white counts were high.

She was injected with Rimadyl at the vets and here are the pills I had to give her:
Doxycycline Hyclate
Prednisone
Famotidine

We went home. She wouldn't eat that night either. Saturday, I felt she was getting worse, and when she went to pee I saw her pee was the color of tea. It terrified me. We went to the emergency vet. He said then that her eyes might look slightly yellow, but it could of been the lighting... we re-ran her blood, the whites were up, the reds down..he told us to double the Prednisone until Monday.

By Monday, I felt Sassy leaving me. She would not move. She looked so bad, I was distraught, and we went to the vet the moment they opened that morning. They immediately saw she had jaundice, her entire skin is yellow, eyes, gums. Her gums were pale yellow. She had labored breathing. She was dying.... we did an x-ray, full chem test and blood work. The blood work came back and her RBC was now at 9%. She was on the verge of dying at any moment. We were told it was likely Autoimmune hemolytic anemia, and that she would need an immediate transfusion to survive. We were told her chances are guarded to poor. We were offered to euthanize her, and left alone to make our decision. I could not even consider it and we had her get the transfusion, it was whole fresh blood from the techs boxer.

They transfused her for about 4 hours along with tons of other IV meds and fluids, and we were able to pick her up that night - we opted to bring her home with us nights, because there is no 24/7 ER vet here. She would of just been alone, with no one to save her if something happened. That night was the hardest night of my life and I did not know what to do. I made a bed on the floor and I watched her all night, holding my breath every time I thought she stopped breathing. I have done this every night since Sunday. Back to the vets first thing in the morning for more IVs. At this point, her blood rose from 9% to 18%, and the dr was only hoping for 15% and even thought we'd need 2 transfusions to reach that. She looked pretty rough at home because of the massive amounts of steroids and I still felt she could leave me at any time. Her white counts were down 10,000 points to 50K (they were 60k+ at the time of transfusion.. they were 30k at the original vet visit...), her platelets I think are holding at around 140.

This morning. There was an incredible change with her, she slept okay through the night without the super labored breathing. When I took her outside, she was surprised to see my neighbor and tried to charge / bark at him. I took her back inside, then went out to get the car ready for her. On my way back in, I saw her sitting at the door watching me. On the way out on the leash, she pulled me to the car. She sat up for the ride and was alert. At the vets, she wanted to see all animals in the waiting room and once in the room with the drs that have been treating her I saw the baby I know for the first time in a week - she rolled over on her back and started pushing on people with her paws. I always call her a cat because of this, it's her way of affection and I haven't seen it for a week when it was an every-day occurrence.

The dr said based on the physical exam, she was comfortable waiting until Friday to do the blood work because we were doing full blood work Friday and my bills have already went to about 1,200 in a week. However, I opted to have the simple test done that only test the red blood cell levels - they were down to 15%, from 18%. The dr was not surprised or alarmed... but I am. She said the boxer blood was running out of her now and there was still time for her body to start producing her own....

but should that have happened by now? After her behavior today I was so happy, crying of happiness, only to hear terrifying news.

Today instead of IVs we just went to test and are now on a massive amount of oral meds (6 bottles), she took them at the vets and within an hour she was back to the tired, sad looked baby that is breaking my heart. The meds are making her feel awful. I know they are needed. I am praying for a miracle and that she holds at 15% and starts regenerating... is it too soon to expect regeneration on her own? Or should she have held and gone up from 18%?

Please pray for my baby. She is my soul. I have been crying so much, I can't eat, I can't sleep. Only a week ago she was bouncing off the walls. I miss her so much, my heart is just breaking into pieces...
Reply With Quote
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Terms of Use

  • All Bulletin Board Posts are for personal/non-commercial use only.
  • Self-promotion and/or promotion in general is prohibited.
  • Debate is healthy but profane and deliberately rude posts will be deleted.
  • Posters not following the rules will be banned at the Admins' discretion.
  • Read the Full Forum Rules

Forum Details

  • Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
    Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
    vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise (Reduced on this page: MySQL 0%).
  • All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 AM.