Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old April 25th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Senior Contributor

EVO canned isn't working out

I had gotten some pre-packaged raw for the gang, which I've been just giving them bits of to get them accustomed to it. They turn up their noses and ignore it completely.

Mainly, I've been blending their Fancy Feast with EVO canned to try to get them used to a better quality food.

I've been having issues with Kiska. She's been vomiting here and there for a couple of weeks, which I'm monitoring. Now last night Vlad had diarrhea, which he's never had. Poor baby, was farting up a storm first, then he used the litter and it was just watery. Oksana has also had a change in her stool, it's kind of soft.

This morning I just left them the EVO kibble which I've been giving them very little of for a couple of months and they haven't had any issues with, until I started to add the EVO canned to their diet.

On my way home I'll go to the grocery store and get them some natural baby food, which I'm pretty sure my market has. I think I just read on another thread butternut squash and pumpkin are good. So I'll give them some of that this evening and tomorrow, just to see if it helps them. In the meantime I'll give them back their Fancy Feast.

I feel like I'm yo-yoing their diet and that can't be good for them. I really want them to eat better quality food, but it never seems to work out. I add the new food little by little, but it's like they knowand turn away even from that.

I'm thinking the best I can do for now is give them what they are used to and let them get back on track. Then in a few months try again. I've been buying them only the Fancy Feast that is wheat gluten free, and in reading the ingredients at least I feel good knowing that the 1st, 2nd and 3rd ingredient is 99% of the time meat.

Am I a bad kitty mom?:sad:
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 25th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Swift Tribe

no no no!! youre not a bad kitty mommy!! pretty far from it IMHO!! have some patience!!! try taking a month or so to transition them adding only a tiny tiny bit at a time to each meal. dont even think of full meals until you have gone a month or so with less than a tea spoon per meal.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old April 25th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Senior Contributor

I've been doing that. Just giving them a small bit mixed with their Fancy Feast, but they wind up turning their noses to it. Then if I give them the FF alone they'll eat it. I haven't even been adding that much of the EVO. These cats are smarter than I am!
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old April 25th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I never thought my cats would love any canned food as much as fancy feast. I know my big indoor/outdoor male loves wild rabbits. So I've been looking around for a canned variety for him. Found Instinct cat food and got duck, rabbit and chicken varieties for the cats to try. All 3 of my indoor cats and my indoor/outdoor male and my neighbours cat love the stuff. Here's the ingredients for the rabbit.

Rabbit Formula
Instinct Canned Diet for Cats

Grain-free
95% Rabbit & liver
Omega fatty acids for healthy skin and coat
Chelated minerals for better nutrient absorption
Complete and balanced for all life stages

Healthy, Natural Ingredients
Rabbit, Rabbit Liver, Water, Eggs, Tricalcium Phosphate, Flaxseed, Peas, Carrots, Lecithin, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Dried Kelp, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide), Artichokes, Cranberries, Pumpkin, Tomato, Blueberries, Broccoli, Cabbage, Kale, Parsley.

Instinct Rabbit Formula for Cats is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Cat Food Nutrient Profile for All Life Stages.

Feeding Guide and Instructions
Feed according to the age, size and activity of your cat. Feed at room temperature and refrigerate unused portion. Your cat should always have access to clean fresh water. ADULT: Feed about one can per 6-8 lbs. of body weight per day. KITTEN: Feed up to twice the adult amount to kittens. GESTATION & LACTATION: Feed up to three times the normal adult amount.

For more detailed feeding information based on your pet's weight and activity level, please visit our Interactive Feeding Guideline.

Sizes Available
5.5 oz (156 grams)

I also found some canned by Fromm 4 star nutritionals. (ingredients below)
I just got the chicken, duck & salmon for them to try, and it's a hit as well. Both the Instinct and the Fromm are expensive so not something I can feed 3 indoor and at least 4 outdoor cats a steady diet of, but it's in their food rotation now and they'll be getting it at least 3 times a week.

FOUR-STAR
Canine Entrées
DRY Grain-Free Surf & Turf
DRY Pork & Applesauce
DRY Duck & Sweet Potato
DRY Chicken À La Veg
DRY Whitefish & Potato
DRY Salmon À La Veg
CAN Chicken Thighs
CAN Shredded Duck Entrée
CAN Beef Entrée
CAN Tuna Entrée
CAN Pork Tenderloin Entrée
CAN Salmon Entrée

Feline Entrées
DRY Grain-Free Surf & Turf
DRY Chicken À La Veg
DRY Duck À La Veg
DRY Salmon À La Veg
CAN Chicken, Duck, & Tuna
CAN Chicken, Duck, & Salmon
CAN Shredded Duck Entrée
CAN Flaked Salmon Entrée
CAN Tuna Entrée

Gravy for Dogs & Cats
LOW-FAT Chicken À La Veg
LOW-FAT Beef & Bacon
LOW-FAT Duck & Potato

Treats
LOW-FAT Cranberry Liver
LOW-FAT Liver
LOW-FAT Cheese
Chicken, Duck, & Salmon Pâté
FOR CATS
Finely minced chicken, duck, and wild salmon simmered in natural chicken broth. All Fromm Four-Star can entrées are made exclusively at human food facilities, and thus can only contain the same wholesome 100% edible food ingredients people eat.

100% Human Grade Ingredients
Hand Packed at a Human Food Facility
Grain-free
Pharmaceutical-Grade Vitamin Minerals
Ingredients:
Chicken, Duck, Broth (Chicken), Salmon, Potato Starch, Tomato Paste, Vitamin Mineral Mix*

Daily Feeding Recommendations:
The average cat requires 1 oz for each pound of body weight, best fed twice a day. Feed up to twice this amount for kittens, pregnant & nursing females.

*Pharmaceutical-Grade Vitamin Mineral Mix:
Calcium Citrate, Taurine, Choline Bitartrate, Lecithin, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Potassium Iodate, Riboflavin Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Sulfate, Vitamin B12, Folic Acid, Biotin.

Fromm Four-Star Chicken, Duck, and Salmon Pâté is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Cat Food Nutrient Profiles for All Life Stages.
Guaranteed Analysis
Protein 10% Min
Fat 2% Min
Fiber 1.5% Min
Moisture 80% Max
Ash 1.5% Max
Magnesium 0.025% Max
Taurine 0.1% Min
Old April 26th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Senior Contributor

I'll look at some of the pet specialty shops and see if I can find any of those. So you feed them that three times a week? I have found they LOVE a seafood variety from Pet Gold which I buy them now and then becasue it has tuna which they love.

Old May 1st, 2008, 07:54 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

ancientgirl, my former fancy feast loving kitty, Puddles, loves the Fromms 4 star ch, duck, salmon, and ch, duck and tuna pate varieties. Beware, it is very expensive so that is why it is for a treat only or mixed with her Wellness.

I did find it did have a lot of water in it, so I don't have to add extra water to Puddles' food when I feed her.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 1st, 2008, 08:23 AM
Senior Contributor

They don't sell that anywhere here. I'll look for it on Amazon, since I have a gift certificate there.

I stopped the EVO canned, since I didn't want Vlad to keep having the poops like that. I've been giving them Wellness grain free again and mixing it with the FF. So far they all are interested and eating it with no problem. Maks and Kiska seem to be the most wary, but they do go back and munch here and there. I'm going to give this a try again. And I'll try it longer to give them time to adjust better. I'm a little more optimistic this time around since they do seem more interested and I started off with less wellness than the first time I tried introducing it to them. If I can get them to eat Wellness I think I might have won the battle. The sample package I got them of the Natures Variety raw I've been giving them bits of, and the only one that even gives it a taste is Maks. I can keep trying to give it to them on the weekends, as an addition to their canned and see how it goes.

I wish I could just make them understand I'm doing this for their own good and to just give it a chance.