Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 21st, 2013, 06:41 PM
Willing cat servant

Emergency plans for pets

Have you considered that in case of any emergency such as a fire, flood, earthquake, hurricane, tornado we need emergency procedures that include our animals?
Having so many animal lovers on the board I imagine some of you do. Dog, cats, ferrets, rabbits, birds, fish, etc (farms could have a chapter of their own).
I want to create my emergency plan to include the cats, and they can be difficult to find, not respond to callings because they're scared, hiding.
I'd love if you could discuss about what's best and how to cope with some of the difficulties.
I'm not the kind of person that expects a catastrophe but I do believe in being ready in case of emergency, having myself witnessed earthquakes and hurricanes in the past.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 08:25 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Very good thread for people to think about!

So far, the only thing that we do, is know exactly where the cat carriers are and that that are quickly accessible.

But it would be very smart to have an emergency bag - with food a water bottle (and maybe all the vet records) in one safe and accessible place.

Any other suggestions?
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:43 AM
Senior Contributor

people could try to find out if their emergency shelters allow them to bring their pets with them if not find out where you can bring your pet(s) if you have a mandatory evacuation . More emergency shelters are allowing people to bring their pets after what happen with Hurricane Katrina , too people refuse to evacuate when they realize they could not bring their pets with them to the emergency shelters . Pets owners could write to their representatives and try and to get them to allow pets to go with them to emergency shelters as in the long run this does save people and pets lives and people will not need to be rescues because they refused to abandon their pets in a storm etc. It would be wise to have all of your pets have a microchip and make sure it's updated if you had moved or have new phone# or a new vet. If you have birds you could have an ID band on it leg.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 12:49 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Those are some good points, Barkingdog. Thankfully, I think a lot of shelters are getting better about allowing pets.

Our biggest threat here is forest fire. In case of fire we pack the following 6 Ps into the cars and bug out to farm country:

1. Pets (or Pack, as is the case here)
2. Provisions (food for the pets, mostly )
3. Prescriptions (yep, mostly for the Pack, too )
4. Pictures (nothing more precious than memories)
5. Papers (legal documents--most importantly, insurance documents)
6. Plastic (as in credit cards)

After that, we're sorta on our own, though, unless someone opens a shelter that allows lots of pets. At least fire season usually means warmer weather and if we have to, we can find a campground till things settle back down...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 22nd, 2013, 05:26 PM
Willing cat servant

So first point:Having the carriers and their health documents always in the same place, at hand and ready.
Second point: Have an emergency reserve of pet food and water
Third: Have them with means of identification preferably chip but depending on the pet owner's geography each person might have to adapt to their possibilities.

Hmm it's beginning to take shape...

Yay more ideas please heh
Old January 22nd, 2013, 08:22 PM
Senior Contributor

It might be a good idea to have second person name and phone # on the microchip encase you can not be reach if lose your power or cell phone in a flood or storm. Have some photos of your pets too that you can post them if your pet get lost