Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old February 6th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Performatrin vs Wellness

I'm trying to up Onnie and Bunduks intake of wet food and cut down (eventually eliminate) dry food.

They usually eat wellness dry and wellness canned (all flavours). The owner of pet valu first suggested I not feed canned because "it will get my cats addicted" and "dry is better for their teeth" but I didnt listen to him and gave them canned anyway. Last time I was at the store I asked about the performatrin which was right next to the wellness. He said its as good as wellness, in fact they copied wellness. Its also cheaper - 2.69 vs 2.99 a 12.5oz can. I picked up a few cans along with the wellness and my cats seem to actually like it more (or perhaps its just that it's new). Its more watery than the wellness (whereas the wellness kinda comes out as a pate).

I didnt see much of a difference but given the owners previous advice and my lack of cat nutrition knowledge, Thought I'd check with the experts

Here are the Performatrin ultra chicken stew Ingredients:

Chicken, Chicken Bouillon, Chicken Liver, Diced carrorts, Egg product, Diced red peppers, potatoe starch, torula dried yeast, guar gum, natural flavour, tricalcium phosphate, spinach flakes, menahden fish oil, oat fiber, calcium carbonate, sweet potatoes, pea fiber, sunflower oil, brewers dried yeast, sea salt, sodium phosphate, potassium chloride, parsley, sodium absorbate, oregano, sodium carbonate, flax seed oil, dried chicory root, dried kelp, taurine, iron proteinate, sage, zinc proteinate, dried blueberries, dried cranberries, dried apples, beta carotene, vitamin E supplement, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Choline chloride, cobalt proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, thiamine monotriate, folic acid, niacin, sodium selenite, d-calcium pantothenate, Vitamin D3 supplement, Pyridoxine, hydrochloride, ribolavin supplement, Vitamin A supplement, Potassium Iodide, Vitamin B12 supplement, Biotin.

Guarunteed Analysis:
Crude protein (min) 10%
Crude fat (min) 2.5%
Crude Fiber (max) 1.0%
Moisture (max) 82%
Magnesium (max) 0.022%
Taurine (min) 0.66%
Omega- 6 fatty acids (min) 0.6%
Omega -3 fatty acids (min) 0.1%

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old February 6th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Senior Contributor

As opposed to say the wellness Chicken and Lobster (from their website):

Product Ingredients | Ingredient Index | Vitamins/Minerals

Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Ground Brown Rice, Lobster, Carrots, Sweet Potatoes, Squash, Zucchini, Guar Gum, Cranberries, Blueberries, Carrageenan, Ground Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Salt, Iron Proteinate (a source of Chelated Iron), Beta-Carotene, Zinc Proteinate (a source of Chelated Zinc), Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Cobalt Proteinate (a source of Chelated Cobalt), Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate (a source of Chelated Copper), Folic Acid, Manganese Proteinate (a source of Chelated Manganese), Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Biotin.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein Not Less Than 10.0%
Crude Fat Not Less Than 5.0%
Crude Fiber Not More Than 1.0%
Moisture Not More Than 78.0%
Ash Not More Than 2.3%
Magnesium Not More Than 0.025%
Taurine Not Less Than 0.10%

Old February 6th, 2009, 12:43 PM
-

I have no idea Onster, I just go with what the gurus' here tell me. Sugarcatmom is logged in, she will porbably see your post, I just looked and she was looking at your "wanna trade deal"

I just wanted to say HI! to you
Old February 6th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Senior Contributor

lol

hiya chris what no puppehs you wanan trade?

maybe ill see u in the tjt in a bit (if im not called away from pc)!

Old February 6th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
ISugarcatmom is logged in, she will porbably see your post, I just looked and she was looking at your "wanna trade deal"
I was so tempted, too ..... Somehow I doubt onster has a diabetic geriatric kitty in mind as a fair exchange though.

As for the Performatrin vs Wellness, I still prefer Wellness (the grain-free formulas). The Performatrin has yeast in it (which has high allergy potential for some cats) as well as potato starch. I'd be curious to know what the overall value for carb content is.

Having said that, I also believe offering a variety of foods is a good idea, provided your cats don't have sensitive stomachs. If they like it, there's nothing wrong with including it in their diet. My own cat doesn't always get top-o-the-line food every single day (he's been known to hoover the occasional can of Fancy Feast) and in his case, it's the variety that keeps him interested. The other bonus with feeding different brands is that it CYA as far as balancing out the nutrients, and, if there ever comes a time when you need to change foods (something is discontinued or there's a health issue or whatever), then it won't be such a shock to their system.

Hope that helps!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 7th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks so much SCM!

I think given what you said Ill just rotate it in sometimes so as to keep up the variety

Old February 7th, 2009, 01:50 PM
-

Is the potato starch used in place of the carrageenan?

Also, why does the Performatrin have so many salt/sodium ingredients?