Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old November 13th, 2015, 10:49 AM

Red face She doesn't like ground raw

My cockapoo puppy is 4 months and 14 pounds. She decided not to eat kibble any more one day.....this is in conjunction with wanting people food. I'm in an apartment so her demand barking is an issue I have to control....by giving in for a while. Now I'm being more firm and am able to say no. She eats raw whole.....chicken drum sticks and thighs, necks, backs. She got a small piece of raw steak and loved it. But trying to get her to eat anything ground is a struggle and she goes hungry rather than eat it. I have wasted several containers of raw prepared dinners, and servings of ground beef and turkey. I'm on a pension so can't afford waste. When feeding her whole she has trouble eating it and wants to go bury it in the couch or her bed unless I hold it for her and she will eat it all. She isn't allowed out of the kitchen now with any food. I tried gravy on the ground beef didn't work she licks the gravy, sprinkle Parmesan cheese on it.....worked somewhat, today added graded cheese to ground turkey but she spent her time digging for the cheese and left the meat. I've tried spooning it to her with fingers and a spoon. I expect it's a texture issue but I want her to overcome that. I want her to fill her belly whether it's whole or ground.
Old November 13th, 2015, 10:56 AM

I can't find organs or tripe except the ground. Supermarkets don't sell hearts or liver very often. What other supplements should she get? She isn't into veggies so far.
Old November 13th, 2015, 03:24 PM
Senior Contributor

That is not a balance diet for a growing puppy , she is going have weak bone . You really needs to know how to feed a dog a raw diet you just don't throw some raw meat at your pet and some veggies. I hope someone here that know how to feed a raw diet to a dog will give you some tips . I would think dog food would cost less if you're tight on money.

http://www.petinsurance.com/healthzo...-for-Pets.aspx
Old November 13th, 2015, 04:20 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Can you find the whole chicken livers at the grocers? We can get them frozen here--sort of pricey since they're meant for human consumption, but they might do in a pinch since she shouldn't be getting too much organ meat, anyway.

As for the ground meat--will she eat it if you partially sear it? Some people have better luck with ground if they heat it up in a pan till it's beginning to brown...

I'm not sure what the recommendations are for puppies. You may find some recommendations in the raw food forum on this site if you look around a bit. This thread has a lot of general recommendations for feeding raw: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=27080

We don't feed raw because we never had enough freezer space for what we'd need to store with so many dogs, but I've always wanted to try it.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 15th, 2015, 10:50 AM

Yes I need help. She wants people food. I got her to eat a few spoonfuls of the ground raw dinners but that's all. She gets a taste of people food but not more so don't see why she thinks she should wait for it. She did eat a can of Tuna in water but threw up next day.
Old November 15th, 2015, 02:42 PM
Senior Contributor

I can't help but be concerned about your puppy health and don't understand why you just don't go out and buy some good quality dog food for her. Raw diets does not work for all dogs and of course your puppy is going to want people food b/c that is what you been feeding her. It would be cheaper to buy a bag of dog food b/c it won't go back as fast as raw food.
Old November 15th, 2015, 06:08 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Raw is a good choice for any dog, Barkingdog, as long as you do the homework to find out the right proportions of bone/organ meat/muscle meat. I know a lot of people who have fed raw for the life of their dogs and the dogs are in excellent health. There isn't anything inherently superior about kibble.

Also, feeding raw does not necessarily encourage begging for people food, which is usually cooked and seasoned. The biggest encouragement of begging is success as the humans involved succumb to those big puppy eyes!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Tags
ground raw meat