Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 15th, 2009, 05:27 PM

A Fat Cat's Mental Health

Hi gang,

Here's the deal.

I had a cat for 18 years. Until her last years, she was always of a healthy weight, about where she should be for her type and size. She passed away in early December.

Shortly afterwards, I adopted from the Toronto Humane Society a big fat spayed long-haired domestic tabby girl, 9-years-old, 16-3/4 lbs. Enormous abdominal horizonal fat spread. So abdominally fat that when I first took her to my vet, the doc really couldn't feel any internal organs. So fat, she can't clean her own bottom and, until we get her weight down, I'm having to do it for her, especially since her urine opening is covered by a layer of fat and if I don't clean her, she'll get stinky and there's a risk of infection.

I have no idea how long she's been fat. In her 9 years, she's had 3 owners (4 yrs. twice and then 8 months) before me with a total of 6 months in a cage in the shelter between the 3 times she was surrendered there into a 2-2-3 ft cage before I got her.

So here's my question, without being overly anthropomorphic about it, please:

Do you think fat cats know they are fat and suffer emotionally because of it?

I'll personalize the question. My new cat's name is Terra. Her short little legs look stubby under her weight. She waddled when I brought her home, but less so now that she's been out of a cage for over a month (she was in a cage for 3 months before I got her). It's an effort for her to heft her weight into her now favorite livingroom chair, and a great effort to jump onto the bed. She seems thoughtful before jumping down from either, as if thinking, "Hmmm, do I really want to do this?" I know joint pain may be involved.

But do you think an obese cat knows it should be thinner, more easily and freely mobile, more free to run and jump and play, and do you think it's an emotional "downer" for them to be so fat? Does Terra know that she should be able to do better in movement and be able to clean her own bottom and does it upset her that she can't?
Old January 15th, 2009, 05:37 PM
~Cat Servent~

Good question. I'm sure she feels the frustration when she is unable to do something that cats instinctually do, like cleaning themselves, and climbing but I'm not sure if that necessarily means she would be depressed or stressed about it.... does she exhibit signs of depression? And are you working towards getting her weight down, playing more, encouraging her to be active and feeding a strictly wet diet on a schedule? I'm sure our kitty guru's will be along with more informed suggestions soon...

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old January 15th, 2009, 08:22 PM

i'm not saying my cat behaves in any particular way. I'm asking a general question
Old January 15th, 2009, 08:33 PM

I just wanted to say that it sounds like your new kitty has found her forever home??? For you too care enough about her feelings and emotions says so much to me. Thank you for looking past her weight and taking her into your home. She sounds like she really needs someone to CARE about her and not throw her away. And also someone to care enough to help her get down to a normal weight
Old January 15th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Geek Club CEO

I would think she's got a lot of strain on her joints and supportive tissues, which would be painful. Her lungs may be taxed with the extra oxygen load needed. If she's unable to clean herself, she's probably prone to irritation around her bum/genitals. If she can't groom properly, her fur may be matted, and therefore uncomfortable. If she's not able to do the things she wants to, like jump to a surface, it would be frustrating. All that in itself would be depressing IMO.

Now, I don't think that animals are necessarily aware of disabilities or of things that they may be able to do should they be differently abled, not in the way you or I would be aware that, say, it would be easier to take a jog around the block if we were 200 lbs, rather than our present weight of 300 lbs. BUT frustration can still come into play if they find themselves "stuck" on a particular task (like anyone else, whether "normal" or disabled)

For example, I have a dog who has some mobility issues. She has a hard time jumping, sometimes finds stairs challenging, and can't move as quickly as her peers. That said, I've never thought that she was "depressed" by it, only frustrated if she's not able to find a solution (which is normally one of her mommies helping her). There's never a sense of "woe is me" or regret or depression in the traditional sense. Most animals with disabilities are too busy living their lives to feel sorry for themselves. BUT if pain is involved, that's a whole other story...
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old January 15th, 2009, 08:40 PM

Yup, yup. She's not going back to the shelter. I'm trying to figure out her mindset and emotions
Old January 15th, 2009, 10:45 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds1960to View Post
Yup, yup. She's not going back to the shelter. I'm trying to figure out her mindset and emotions
Good luck with that!!
If she is acting like a cat should, sleeping, playing, getting into a bit of mischief, then I really wouldn't be worried about her mindset too much. If she is lying around not wanting to move and not interested in anything then yes, you may have a concern.
It takes a while to "read" a cat. If you ever can. They are definitely a wonderful mysterious creature.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 16th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I don't believe they suffer mentally as humans do, they don't have vanity as we do. She may be unhappy and uncomfortable not being able to groom herself though.

I do believe that she suffers greatly physically. I think it is abuse to allow a kitty to get so overweight and am so glad this kitty found you.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 16th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Catlover2

Cut down her food & get her moving.

Is Terra depressed? Does she feel sorry she can't move well? Maybe somewhat, but who really knows? Most cats live "in the moment", but they do remember a a bad vet experience or abuse. Terra, at 9 y.o., is morbidly obese, so you will need to have her on a strict diet....no more than 2 small meals/day of a good quality food (e.g. Wellness), perhaps 1 or 2 treats, and that's it! No food left down for her to nibble at. If you don't get the weight off her, she will become diabetic and have other expensive health problems!

Most cats love to be groomed, if snags or mats aren't pulled....cut out any as much as possible, but with her long hair, she should be combed every day (one of those steel pet combs). Keep her hair clipped around the anus, as I suggested previously to keep her clean.

Play with her as much as possible, with a feathertoy on a stick, or string or light cord. Try to get her moving as much as possible. Terra is obese senior, and has lost muscle tone from being caged so much, and this will take many months for her to build it up and lose the weight for her to be able have the strength to be able to play much. But keep at it; as the weight decreases she should feel more like playing and jumping.

Keep us posted on Terra's progress.
Old January 16th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover2 View Post
Is Terra depressed? Does she feel sorry she can't move well? Maybe somewhat, but who really knows? Most cats live "in the moment", but they do remember a a bad vet experience or abuse. Terra, at 9 y.o., is morbidly obese, so you will need to have her on a strict diet....no more than 2 small meals/day of a good quality food (e.g. Wellness), perhaps 1 or 2 treats, and that's it! No food left down for her to nibble at. If you don't get the weight off her, she will become diabetic and have other expensive health problems!

Most cats love to be groomed, if snags or mats aren't pulled....cut out any as much as possible, but with her long hair, she should be combed every day (one of those steel pet combs). Keep her hair clipped around the anus, as I suggested previously to keep her clean.

Play with her as much as possible, with a feathertoy on a stick, or string or light cord. Try to get her moving as much as possible. Terra is obese senior, and has lost muscle tone from being caged so much, and this will take many months for her to build it up and lose the weight for her to be able have the strength to be able to play much. But keep at it; as the weight decreases she should feel more like playing and jumping.

Keep us posted on Terra's progress.
The OP is working on getting her weight down, just on a different thread

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 21st, 2009, 08:17 PM

Well, since I put her on wet food, she's become much more active and vigorous.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 09:41 AM
Catlover2

Good news! the weight should start coming off faster now, the more she moves. Just curious how much of the canned food are you feeding her & how many times/day is she getting fed?
Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Just curious how much of the canned food are you feeding her & how many times/day is she getting fed?
4 oz of food twice a day, left down until it's gone.

Here's a link to bds196to's other post: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=59787

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:46 PM
Catlover2

sugarcatmom, thanx for the link. It sounds like Terra's on the right amount of food and should loose the weight in a gradual way.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
sugarcatmom, thanx for the link. It sounds like Terra's on the right amount of food and should loose the weight in a gradual way.
The vet estimated about a year to get down to a proper weight.