Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old August 7th, 2012, 04:25 PM

aussie w/ glucose level of .01

Hi, I was looking for some information regarding normal glucose levels for a dog on the raw food diet. Maxx has been on raw food since March, 2011. Had a blood test done in July 2011 and everything was normal. Did another one this July and my vet can't understand why he is not in a hypoglycemic coma. She said that normal values should lie between 3.6-7. Everything else was normal. Maxx is a high energy dude. Not looking too comatose! It is hard to talk to my vet as she has a major aversion to the raw food thing. Are normal blood values for dogs on commercial pet foods even applicable to raw fed dogs?
Thanks for any help!
Old August 7th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmaxx View Post
Hi, I was looking for some information regarding normal glucose levels for a dog on the raw food diet. Maxx has been on raw food since March, 2011. Had a blood test done in July 2011 and everything was normal. Did another one this July and my vet can't understand why he is not in a hypoglycemic coma. She said that normal values should lie between 3.6-7. Everything else was normal. Maxx is a high energy dude. Not looking too comatose! It is hard to talk to my vet as she has a major aversion to the raw food thing. Are normal blood values for dogs on commercial pet foods even applicable to raw fed dogs?
Thanks for any help!
A blood glucose level of .01 mmol/L is impossible, so I would guess lab error if that's what the vet is saying the results were.

Normal blood glucose values would be the same no matter what the dog was eating.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 7th, 2012, 09:29 PM

Hi:
I just spoke to my vet about your difficulty and she suggested not to write off the test results without a second opinion. She has seen extremely low readings before caused by certain diseases.
She said it could be a report error depending on where the blood work was done and the time of day when the sample was taken. If it was done outside in a reputable lab, there shouldn't be any problem. But if it was done in the veterinarian office, there is room for error.
She asked if there were any issues and I mentioned that your vet has an issue with the "raw food" feedings. She suggested, in that case, she would be looking for a second opinion by somebody who is understanding.
She's a great believer in raw food diets for animals.
Hope this helps.
Reg
Old August 8th, 2012, 12:44 PM

Thanks so much for your replies! Does anyone know a vet in the St-Lazare (Montreal) area that is open to raw food diets?
Old August 8th, 2012, 01:36 PM

Hello again:
Something you might try is to find a veterinary who practices regular medicine as well as holistic or homeopathic methods. This way you get the best of both worlds.
I've found that they are open-minded. The one I use is in Sudbury, Ontario. I'll send you their web site so you can take a look at it and it will give you some idea of what you are looking for.
I can't help at this time, with suggestions of somebody in the Montreal area.

http://www.waldenanimalhospital.com/index.html

Check "services" and it will give you some idea of what to be looking for. Also some telephoning around to find out if alternative medicines are provided or available at their establishments.
Old August 8th, 2012, 11:04 PM

I did find that the 'anti raw' vets would blame everything on the diet. My guy cut his leg open and it became infected, it was the diet. Uh huh....

He also told me that the raw would cause food poisoning and never to give them raw - told them it must be a slow thing since they'd been on raw for a few years at that point.

If you have any places around that sell raw dog food, I'd call them and ask for a vet referral, chances are they'd have one. I work at a boarding kennel and we feed raw all the time to the dogs, and sell raw, and fairly often have a holistic, raw friendly vet come to treat the dogs.
Old August 9th, 2012, 01:13 PM

Thanks everyone! I will give it a go and let you know how it turns out!!