Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 8th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm a bad mommy, because I keep forgetting I can give them that. I have some coconut oil. I just gave them all some, him first. I just have to remember to give them some daily, especially him. If it will help with this and his nervousness I'll try it.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old September 9th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Dahmer.About the Coconut-oil,I bought some of the more expensive pure virgin stuff,how much do you give Fagan??
I know you said he licks the spoon.
I am going to try and see if Rocky will too,otherwise I can put it in the lunch-feeding,but how much??
I use the cheap stuff in the bath and as a moisturizer for myself
Old September 9th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Senior Contributor

I gave Maks a fourth of a teaspoon last night.

His lip is still swollen. I called the vet. His usual vet is off next week, but the woman who got the phone told me she'd put his file in her box and maybe we could work something out when she came in this evening. I'm hoping she'll let me bring him in and just let me pay next week. I don't know if they do that kind of thing. I go there so much though, between weighing them and getting nails trimmed and just having them checked, maybe they will think I'm good for it.

I just want to know what this is. If he'd bumped himself against something wouldn't the swelling have gone down just a little? I don't see a puncture on it, like he may have been on the wrong end of a certain kitty's nail, and I can't imagine it was a bug. I don't see bugs in my apartment other than a dead roach now and then.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Last edited by ancientgirl; September 9th, 2008 at 08:52 AM.
Old September 9th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Senior Contributor

my MILs old cat (siamese) used to get a lip-growth. it was like a fatty-tumor. They had it removed a couple of times, but it kept returning over the years. It never really caused the cat any discomfort or anything, it was just a bit unsightly. But the cat ate and drank normally. as the cat got older, the risk of having it removed was too great (going under anethesia), so they left it alone in her senior years. The growth was always harmless though. I hope it's nothing serious - do keep us posted! Maks is in my thoughts for sure!!
Old September 9th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh I hope it's nothing like that. Even if it's harmless, I'd have to have to put through any kind of surgery. Maybe he just needs some anti-biotics.

Old September 9th, 2008, 09:45 AM
~Cat Servent~

I'd say I give them about a 1/4 of a teaspoon in the am, and I let Fagan lick a little more before bed too. I actually scoop it out with the back of the spoon as it seems to be easier for them to lick it off the back (and my oil is cool so more the solid consistency). I now have 5 of them eating it daily! Asker still wants nothing to do with it or treats!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old September 9th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Senior Contributor

It's smaller! Whew! I checked him as soon as I got home and his lip looks much smaller. Hopefully tomorrow it will be even smaller. I want to make an appointment to have him get his junior wellness exam, which will do bloodwork and such. I'm also going to look into getting him some Bach remedy for his nervousness. Maybe this is stress related.

Old September 9th, 2008, 11:26 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm glad to hear Maks is better tonight, AG! for a complete recovery!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 10th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Senior Contributor

I spoke to the vet and she wants me to give him some antibiotics and predisolone for a week. As I spoke with her she asked me if he was itchy in general, and I thought about it and mentioned he does seem to constantly be rubbing his check and his mouth on stuff. He's done it to me, to the point he's tried rubbing his gums.

She said to give him the antibiotics and the steroid and he should be okay in a few days. I also made an appointment for him and Kiska to get their wellness exam on October so that should tell me if he's got any other issues.

Old December 21st, 2008, 08:33 PM

I am a newbie to this forum. I was looking for info on my kitty, Romeo, who I just discovered has the exact same mass on his lower lip. I am going to call my vet tomorrow, but he is usually booked for two weeks in advance. Did you ever discover what the growth on Maks' lip was? I am also owned by five plus one kitties and a special Bouvier name Sophie. I am concerned that Romeo might have a type of oral cancer and it is scary.
Old December 21st, 2008, 08:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the board.

I also had made an appointment when I noticed that growth, but by the time I took him in, which was only about 3 days later, the swelling had already started to go down.

The vet sent us home with anti-biotics and predisolone. She couldn't determine what the exact cause for the swelling was, and he's been find every since. No more swelling.

I've since thought it could have been a few different things. Either he was playing with one of the others and they got his lip with their nails, or he might have just had some sort of allergic reaction to something. Or he might have busted his own lip.

Maks is a very active and acrobatic little guy. He's constantly jumping and running around with the zoomies, so at this point it could have been anything.

I'd suggest you talk to your vet and tell him/her your concerns and see if maybe you can get in sooner, or perhaps just make an appointment and ask them to call you if there are any cancellations.

It may be nothing, but it's always good to make sure.

Good luck and please let us know what happens.

Edited: Actually, now that I think back on it, the vet never saw him. I remember now she had the medicine waiting for me to pick up and the instructions. I took him in for his wellness exam, by which time the swelling was gone, and has been gone since.

Last edited by ancientgirl; December 21st, 2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 05:20 PM

Many thanks for your feedback. I have to call my vet in the morning to get a "squeeze" appointment for the same day. I am going to wait my 3 day rule--if it goes down by the third day then all's well. If it is the same at three days then he has to go in. Today it looks exactly the same so I am a bit worried. He is a zoomie too, but I just put a Cat Dancer toy up and I'm wondering if he got whapped by it....
Old December 22nd, 2008, 06:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I think Maks might have had his lip swollen for a few days before I noticed it. Getting an appointment is a very good idea.

Old December 22nd, 2008, 08:51 PM
Kitty pimp

im betting its the same thing a bruised lip i had a not very corordinsted cst( he had neuro damage) that got them all the time
Old May 4th, 2012, 04:05 AM

Necromancy on a 4-year-old thread. They said it couldn't be done.

Anyway, I found this thread during a Google search while researching my cat's condition. It is amazing to me how what I see on my cat's lip is exactly what I see in the original poster's photograph. It is the same approximate size, color and location. The consistency of the growth is exactly as the original poster described.

This is the closest self-diagnosing on the Internet has ever come to working for me. I discovered the growth at 1AM and the cat will be taken to the vet at 7AM.

Of course, I am not a vet and it could be something entirely different, but I do feel hopeful because of this thread.

Thanks to the original poster for posting it.

For the curious, here are some extra details. The cat is approximately seven to eight years old. She was rescued as a stray and she is only one of two in her litter who survived. She started life with a serious respiratory infection which reemerged about 4-5 years later in her life and damaged the corneas of both eyes. She required expensive surgery to repair it, but suffered permanent vision loss due to corneal grafts. We believed that her initial vet misdiagnosed which led to the corneal ulcers, but we cannot prove that.

Her behavior is quite normal and she gets around swimmingly regardless. Despite the growth on her lip that is worrying me currently, she is active, eating normally and just as talkative as she always is. Her name is Moocow and she is a black and white tuxedo cat.
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlossomEndRot View Post
I am a newbie to this forum. I was looking for info on my kitty, Romeo, who I just discovered has the exact same mass on his lower lip. I am going to call my vet tomorrow, but he is usually booked for two weeks in advance. Did you ever discover what the growth on Maks' lip was? I am also owned by five plus one kitties and a special Bouvier name Sophie. I am concerned that Romeo might have a type of oral cancer and it is scary.
This is a very old post, I'm not sure you will get an answer from the OP. But, my black cat had something very similar and I too thought it was her tongue sticking out. You know how some cats do that? But my cat never did it and I found the lump and Vetted right away. It was a melanoma which apparently black cats are more prone to than any other colour. As per my Vet. Surgery to remove it at age 15 was successful, she recovered just fine and lived to +19.

If your kitty still has that lump please Vet.
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
This is a very old post, I'm not sure you will get an answer from the OP. But, my black cat had something very similar and I too thought it was her tongue sticking out. You know how some cats do that? But my cat never did it and I found the lump and Vetted right away. It was a melanoma which apparently black cats are more prone to than any other colour. As per my Vet. Surgery to remove it at age 15 was successful, she recovered just fine and lived to +19.

If your kitty still has that lump please Vet.
Not sure what's going on with the board notifications, but yeah I answered her question the same day.

Old May 4th, 2012, 08:51 AM

I bumped this 4-year-old thread last night and now my post is gone.

In any case, what I said was that my cat has exactly what the original poster photographed 4 years ago and to thank them for posting this. I found it through a Google search for "cat pink growth lip."

Taking my cat to the vet now.

If possible, I'm wondering if you could answer if it ever reoccurred and what it eventually ended up being, if you know.
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokker View Post
I bumped this 4-year-old thread last night and now my post is gone.

In any case, what I said was that my cat has exactly what the original poster photographed 4 years ago and to thank them for posting this. I found it through a Google search for "cat pink growth lip."

Taking my cat to the vet now.

If possible, I'm wondering if you could answer if it ever reoccurred and what it eventually ended up being, if you know.
He's actually had it occur again, less than a year ago, except not to the degree it did the first time. I didn't take him back to the vet because the swelling never got really big, and he never acted odd or lost his appetite or anything you would attribute to him being ill.

I always look at his lip though, just to make sure it doesn't swell. Maks is super active, and he and his sister play fight a lot, and he also play fights with Vlad who is a little larger than him.

At this point, I attribute it to either him rubbing against something too much, which he tends to do, or him getting hit accidentally while playing, or him maybe having a slight allergic reaction to something.

But as always, it's good to have a vet give you an opinion. My vet seems to have thought it was just a reaction to something.

Old May 4th, 2012, 10:03 AM

My preferred vet seems to be booked up today so I made an appointment for 9:30 tomorrow morning. The other vet in my area does walk ins but I've always hated that place because it's so dirty and run down. I would use them for a more pressing matter.

But because she is acting normally, ate all her food this morning, looks exactly like your photo (and your situation was not life threatening), does not display signs of experiencing pain when I touched the area and I have to work to actually pay for her examination, I believe she can wait 24 hours to see my preferred vet. I understand I could be making a mistake but it is a risk assessment situation that is inherently imperfect.

Man, this cat has been through a lot though. Our other cat, who is over 10, is built like a tank and has never had problems. He's starting to go for senior care and the vet can't find anything to charge us for.
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
My preferred vet seems to be booked up today so I made an appointment for 9:30 tomorrow morning. The other vet in my area does walk ins but I've always hated that place because it's so dirty and run down. I would use them for a more pressing matter.

But because she is acting normally, ate all her food this morning, looks exactly like your photo (and your situation was not life threatening), does not display signs of experiencing pain when I touched the area and I have to work to actually pay for her examination, I believe she can wait 24 hours to see my preferred vet. I understand I could be making a mistake but it is a risk assessment situation that is inherently imperfect.
If I was in your situation, I'd wait too. The appointment is tomorrow early, so it's not like your waiting several days, and as you said, she's acting normally, so it's probably something you'll be able to treat with some antibiotics, if she even needs them.

Also, Maks didn't seem in pain either when I touched his lip. Please post back when you finally take her in. I'd be curious as to what your vet thinks it is as well.

Old May 4th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Sorry folks, I think I missed a second page of posts. Hopefully my own experience helps too though. And yeah, my Vet said my cat's kind of cancer might very likely re-appear. But it didn't.
Old May 4th, 2012, 12:34 PM

Hi Spokker and welcome to the forum!
Quote:
I understand I could be making a mistake but it is a risk assessment situation that is inherently imperfect.
as they always are! In your assessment though, I think it's fair and balanced.

Quote:
Man, this cat has been through a lot though.
?- with any residual "fallout"/issues?

BTW - you can't just use "cat" on this forum.......we need names!

I'll drop a tidbit for you - something to keep in your backpocket/purse for future reference (if you don't already have it). When many Vets see inflammation or pain in cats, they tend to prescribe the latest and greatest remedy, which turns out to be a Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory preparation (NSAID). Trouble is, cats have evolved without the biochemistry to process NSAIDS (as most other animals can do), and, as it turns out, the most popular of these prescribed drugs (Metacam) destroys kidney cells at any dosage. (try Googling this: cats,metacam,kidneys). The only safe anti-inflammatory med for cats is a steroidal med - often prednisolone - and, on a short-tem basis. Anyways, just a heads-up.

Keep us posted! (that's after you post her name!)
Old May 5th, 2012, 01:05 PM

Took Moocow in today. The cat was diagnosed with eosinophilic granuloma. She was prescribed a topical medication called panalog cream and was not given a steroid injection in consideration of her medical history with feline herpes virus and corneal ulcers (her eye care specialist was consulted on this). The case was described as mild, no leisons were discovered on the thieghs or paws, and there will be a follow up in 10 days unless the situation detoriates.
Old May 5th, 2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTYcat View Post
?- with any residual "fallout"/issues?
What do you mean?

When we took ownership of her as a kitten we were told she was treated for a respiratory infection. Her mother and her littermates were found in the cold winter, and she was only one of two in the litter that survived.

About six years later (over two years ago) she suffered what we now know was the feline herpes virus. She suffered a concurrent bacterial infection that did not initially respond to treatment. Corneal ulcers developed in both eyes and eye surgery (four total) was required. At one point, the surgeon told us that the bacteria was eating through his stitches in the eye. Her vision is now impaired but sufficient. Her left eye has a small graft near the bottom of the eye and the iris is visible. The right eye is much worse with a much larger and thicker graph.

A cocktail of medications the eye care specialist dubbed a "nuclear bomb" eventually got the virus and bacterial infection under control.

The first surgery cost over $3,000. The second was discounted down to about $1.5 thousand. The third surgery was paid for using the eye care clinic's research fund. They simply wanted to know what was going on and why her condition was deterioating in the hopes of helping future patients. It was that bad, and no, they did not learn anything. We were not charged for the fourth surgery, likely out of pity, but we were never given a reason.

Because medications with stereoids can exacerbate corneal ulcers, she will have be prescribed Famvir and an antibiotic if she is prescribed any medication with steroids or undergoes something stressful, like a change in residence or anesthesia. For example, she will require dental cleaning soon. About 10 days before the dental cleaning she will be prescribed herpes medication and an antibiotic to help prevent a recurrence.

This is also why she was only prescribed a topical medication today.

Last edited by Spokker; May 5th, 2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old May 5th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Senior Contributor

I luv Cow Kitties!! Now I really wanna see some pics.

What does Moocow eat, by the way? Diet can play a role in EG in some cats.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old May 5th, 2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
What does Moocow eat, by the way? Diet can play a role in EG in some cats.
Both of our cats eat Trader Joe's wet cat food (in fact, it's the only thing I go to Trader Joe's for. I otherwise despise the chain). We picked this because it does not have byproducts and is cheaper than other cat foods that don't contain byproducts (such as Wellness).

Because she has been eating this food for such a long time, we don't immediately suspect that diet played a role. We told them the brand and the vet did not object. We were told to use glass or ceramic bowls in the meantime. The vet also checked her fur with a small comb, but did not acknowledge the act or what she might have found. I assume she was checking for fleas.

Other details: Her temperature was normal. Her heart and lungs sound normal.

She is also overweight and this was exacerbated by the fact that we used many treats to get her to take pills and calm her after eye drops, some that stung, during her long aftertreatment after four eye surgeries. At one point she required medication, a drop, a pill, a topical cream every few hours. This means that, at the worst of it all, every four hours we spent 20 minutes administering three or four medications because the eyedrops and creams could only be applied within 15 minutes of each other and it was very hard to do it alone when one of us was at work. At one point I simply wanted her to die so we could be free from this. Imagine having a cat with a corneal graft just after surgery, you are trying to give her eye drops by herself, she struggles, wriggles out of her cone and escapes from her grasp and immediately starts going for her eyes underneath the bed. You frantically pick up the entire bed and throw it across the room, destroying a window in the process, grab her, and put the cone back on and get the eye drops into her eyes by any means necessary. And then you have three more medications to go. We never, ever missed a dose, but at one point I seriously hoped to simply find her dead one morning so the nightmare, emotionally and financially, could end for all of us. But it was only the eyes and the rest of her was generally healthy. It was not something like late stage cancer where it would be justifiable to put her to sleep.

But it's fine now. I love both our cats and they have always received the best of care despite my darkest thoughts in my worst days, but after they live out their lives I will never, ever own another pet. This is nonnegotiable and I have informed my partner of this.

Last edited by Spokker; May 5th, 2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old May 5th, 2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
...About 10 days before the dental cleaning she will be prescribed herpes medication and an antibiotic to help prevent a recurrence....
I'd like to learn just which "herpes medication" is to be prescribed. Of course you know that antibiotics have no effect on any virus...they are often used to ward off bacterial infections which could occur. When dental interventions are undertaken, especially when teeth are severely jeopardized, clindamycin is often used both to prevent/attend to oral infection and to prevent oral bacteria from moving throughout the system. Usually it's recommended to start a course of a/b a few days prior to the dental procedure.

It is well established that L-lysine is very effective in keeping feline herpes in check and in reducing both the intensity and duration of these outbreaks. Here's more info for you
Quote:
There are several holistic treatment options for Herpes. One of the simplest is l-lysine, which is inexpensive and readily available at the health food store or drug store. It comes in capsules or tablets, usually 500 mg. Capsules are much easier to work with, if you can get them. The dose is 500 mg twice a day for 5-7 days (total 1,000 mg/day). Lysine has a slightly salty taste, and is easily disguised by mixing with wet food or meat baby food. If that seems like a huge dose for a cat, it is–but that’s what it takes to work. Once the acute episode is under control, a maintenance dose of 250 mg per day can be given indefinitely... http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/f...onjunctivitis/
Thanks for explaining what you meant early on by her having been through a lot. That just blows me away.

Just noticed your latest post. I want to say to you that your commitment to her has touched me deeply - thank you for sharing it.

Are you in the US? Reason: some time ago I heard about a high quality food product at a very reasonable price. Here's the info http://www.thecatsite.com/t/181618/w...e#post_2482269 Obviously, that info is 3 years old, but...)
Old May 5th, 2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTYcat View Post
I'd like to learn just which "herpes medication" is to be prescribed. Of course you know that antibiotics have no effect on any virus...
It would be Famvir plus an antibiotic. Famvir was part of the "nuclear bomb" cocktail that she received during her treatment for corneal ulcers.

It should also be noted that I am recalling details from memory and it's possible that some details could be inaccurate.

Quote:
Are you in the US? Reason: some time ago I heard about a high quality food product at a very reasonable price. Here's the info http://www.thecatsite.com/t/181618/w...e#post_2482269 Obviously, that info is 3 years old, but...)
They used to get Wellness years ago but we switched them to Trader Joe's because it is an affordable option that contains no by-products. The first four ingredients in a typical can satisfy me.

Last edited by Spokker; May 5th, 2012 at 07:20 PM.