Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 16th, 2010, 08:00 PM

Do Golden Retrievers and German Shepherds get along together?

I just have a simple question, do Golden Retrievers and German Shepherds get along together?

Please answer if you know! I really want answers!
Old May 16th, 2010, 08:30 PM

Simple question, but no simple answer.

If any two dogs will get along really depends on a lot of factors...

Are they neutered/spayed? How were they first introducted? What are their personalities like? Are they being introduced as both pups, both adults, one pup or one an adult etc. etc. etc. etc.

Even these questions will not give you a definite answer. You can't predict how two dogs will get along, and certainly breed has very little to do with it. You can't even predict a dogs personality based on breed as there are so many individual differences between dogs that are the same breed. You can certainly do certain things to encourage two dogs to get along, but you have no way of being able to know if they will get along.

My three dogs get along some days, some days not. I have two pups that grew up together and for the most part get along great, but once in awhile they just don't appreciate each other's company. Can you elaborate more on your question?

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old May 16th, 2010, 09:25 PM
You can call me DOG!

Great response cassiek!

While I know from being a Golden owner, it all depends on the circumstances and would need to have a little more information on the situation animalperson.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old May 16th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Senior Contributor

The breeds themselves aren't incompatible. Individuals of each breed could be incompatible with each other. You need to assess each individual dog of ANY breed to determine if they'll get along with another dog.

But I'm not really sure why you're asking and if you're referring to specific individuals, or what. We need more information.
Old May 16th, 2010, 10:08 PM

Well put MBIE. And I agree... more information is needed here.

There are certainly things you can do to encourage two pups to get along, and there are some situations where I think they [B]tend[B] to get along better. For example, most adult dogs tend to be more accepting of a puppy (which will usually submit to the adult dog) than to another adult dog that may challenge his/her authority. That's not to say it can't be done, but I think there are certain situations where any two dogs of any two breeds will usually get along better.

Can you give us more information. There really is no simple answer to your question, it's not a yes or no answer. We need more info about the dogs involved, their age, etc.

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old May 17th, 2010, 08:33 AM

I agree with the above replies. Just wanted to add an example --
My dog is a german shepherd. We have yet to see a 'trend' with who he does or doesnt get a long with.

Each dog, regardless of breed, will have a different way of reacting/getting along with other dogs.

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old May 17th, 2010, 08:38 AM
-

same here , always depends on the dogs temperament , not the breed.

I have 4 dogs , all different breeds , from 7 lbs to 160 lbs , and they all get along

I also had Goldens before, and fostered a German Shepherd once , they also got along.
Old May 17th, 2010, 11:45 AM

Lightbulb

Thanks for the responses! I learned a lot!
Old May 17th, 2010, 11:46 AM

I don't need anymore responses! Thanks!
Old May 15th, 2018, 05:18 AM

German Shepherd and Golden Retriever get along together?

It depends upon the age. If both are young and socialize well with each other they can be best friend and grow together. Both Golden retriever and German Shepherd breed have sound temperament. If any of them is adult and you are planning to get another pet, remember it may take time to adjust. It also depends upon socialization of adult pet. You need to consider the gender of the puppy and need to get any of them spayed or neutered. Same sex can do well together, if not planning to breed them, it is good to get them neutered or spayed to keep them healthy.

Last edited by hazelrunpack; May 15th, 2018 at 09:57 AM. Reason: No promotional links, pls