Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old January 18th, 2016, 08:03 PM
Willing cat servant

Dog improving outside but indoors...

Hi!
The training is going well when it comes to walking with a leash, obeying turns, body language. We're practicing zig zagging now. I've noticed improvement since a week + the formal training started.
The problem is ... INDOORS and that's frustrating
Understand that Ragnar was a stray dog so I see where the stealing food from table and surfaces comes from however.
He pees inside sometimes, 2 days in a row now and the newest one.
He doesn't like his food anymore. He is hungry and will go after the cat's food or have any other treat except his food, only very reluctantly when there's no other choice. That started today.
Another thing started today. Every time I open the door from his sleeping area. (He's sleeping in the laundry room while in training. We're temporarily staying here so I have no choice of a sleeping pen or something of the sort)
Going back on subject now every time I open that door he comes out fearful. Ears laid back, not directly looking at me. I'm super puzzled.
He drinks water normally, he's hungry except doesn't like his current brand anymore. So why is he so fearful when he comes out of there.
He has a lot of character. He's not a submissive dog so I'm just wondering here and I have no clues.

So summarizing: Pees in the house, steals food, gnaws in hands and feet of people, refuses his current dog food and fearful when coming out of his sleeping area and he won't listen inside the house. What to do?
Oh! He's around 9 months old.
Old January 19th, 2016, 12:09 AM

Ragnar is one lucky puppy to be rescued by you so congratulations on taking on such a busy pup.

As he's new to living in a house he will likely not understand it's not ok to toilet in the house. I would ensure he's never left unattended while in the house and perhaps leash him to your waist so that you can catch him as he starts to toilet. A firm NO and then lead him outside and tell him GO PEE and reward with GOOD BOY and a treat when he performs. A leashed walk first thing in the morning when he's got a full bladder will set him up for success and he will quickly learn to toilet on command. Once you return home he should be ok for a couple of hours as he's emptied himself during the walk.

Stealing food sounds pretty normal to me. If food is left out it must be for the dog right I personally feel this isn't a problem with the dog but rather with the humans. I've had many dogs of my own as well as various dogs I've boarded over the years and every last one of them would steal food that wasn't kept out of their reach. My Weim was so smart he would even bite the cupboard door knobs under the sink, back up to pull the door open and pick up the compost bucket by the handle then bring it to his bed for snacking

Gnawing on people's hands and feet sounds like he may playing. If he is hurting you then I would startle him with a sharp yell and then end the play. He needs to learn you will not play if he's too rough.

When you feed him I would give him 15 minutes with his food bowl and if he refuses to eat then take the food away until his next meal time. I'm assuming you feed him twice a day? If feeding only once a day, still offer his food twice until he starts eating regularly. Always have fresh water available though. He will eventually eat his food when he realizes nothing else is on offer.

I'm a bit concerned though about him becoming fearful when he comes out of his sleeping area. Did anything happen there that you know of? Perhaps he was scared of a noise or event you're not aware of? Is he ever sent in there for punishment or time out? Need more info here.

If you have him tethered to you it will be much easier to have him comply with your wishes which would help you in his training. Always talk to him during this time and even if your just walking from one room to another say COME RAGNAR or LETS GO RAGNAR. You can have him SIT/STAY while you do the dishes, etc.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your boy
Old January 19th, 2016, 12:27 AM
Willing cat servant

That's great info really.
I also thought something could have happened in that room. Today I had to almost carry 22 and a half Kg to enter there because he really hates it there. I think he feels isolated.
Nothing has happened tat I know of however he has been sent there as a place of punishment, that meaning time out when he has peed in the house so he's probably associating that with bad things?
Old January 19th, 2016, 08:41 AM

I totally understand your frustration with the accidents in the house! I have a puppymill rescue that needs the humans to set her up to succeed or she will still have accidents after 4 years

I never leave her unattended in the house so if I go out she goes in her crate. Every morning she is put outside to toilet before she's allowed to run about loose. Every 2-3 hours she is invited to go back outside as she's never once gone to the door to ask so I must be vigilant or she will have an accident. I have come to the conclusion that she is only as trained as her humans are and that's ok with me because we are successful together. The problem I run into is when I'm out, the other humans in the house forget to let her out so then of course she will have an accident so the rule in our home is that she's crated when I'm out even if there are other family members home and this works well for her. You need to find a schedule that works for you and your pup and stick with it for at least 6 months. I'm confident that you will successfully train your boy as he is still a young pup.

Please don't punish your pup for having accidents as he will not understand why he's in trouble. He will learn very quickly to hide from you to toilet in the house which will just make the problem that much bigger. You can only react if you see him in the act otherwise he will just come to fear you.

Also, please don't put him in his confinement area as punishment. If you want him to learn to be separated from you then you need to ensure he loves his area. I would start by taking him for a very long walk to really tire him out. Make sure he has a comfy bed and a blanket or teddybear perhaps a nice bone or kong filled with peanut butter and put him in there while you sit with him and read a book. Gradually decrease the time you spend with him until he's there on his own and anxiously awaiting his teddy and treat. Again, he's a young pup so you can train him your way. It just takes lots of positive reinforcement and lots of repetition.
Old January 19th, 2016, 02:45 PM
Willing cat servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne&Co. View Post
I totally understand your frustration with the accidents in the house! I have a puppymill rescue that needs the humans to set her up to succeed or she will still have accidents after 4 years

I never leave her unattended in the house so if I go out she goes in her crate. Every morning she is put outside to toilet before she's allowed to run about loose. Every 2-3 hours she is invited to go back outside as she's never once gone to the door to ask so I must be vigilant or she will have an accident. I have come to the conclusion that she is only as trained as her humans are and that's ok with me because we are successful together. The problem I run into is when I'm out, the other humans in the house forget to let her out so then of course she will have an accident so the rule in our home is that she's crated when I'm out even if there are other family members home and this works well for her. You need to find a schedule that works for you and your pup and stick with it for at least 6 months. I'm confident that you will successfully train your boy as he is still a young pup.

Please don't punish your pup for having accidents as he will not understand why he's in trouble. He will learn very quickly to hide from you to toilet in the house which will just make the problem that much bigger. You can only react if you see him in the act otherwise he will just come to fear you.

Also, please don't put him in his confinement area as punishment. If you want him to learn to be separated from you then you need to ensure he loves his area. I would start by taking him for a very long walk to really tire him out. Make sure he has a comfy bed and a blanket or teddybear perhaps a nice bone or kong filled with peanut butter and put him in there while you sit with him and read a book. Gradually decrease the time you spend with him until he's there on his own and anxiously awaiting his teddy and treat. Again, he's a young pup so you can train him your way. It just takes lots of positive reinforcement and lots of repetition.
That makes a lot of sense actually. This morning as usual first thing we went for a toilet walk and when we came back I tied his leash around my waist while I made breakfast. Then we went to the living room, I sat there and he lied with his chew toy unleashed. Everything went beautifully.
I'm really thankful for the advice. I'm ready to give it all to make this work. I'm used to being a moma cat but somehow with a lot of patience and work we'll get there.
The vet recommends neutering. How do you feel about that in male dogs?
I'm pro spay and neuter in cats but I'm new in this business
Old January 19th, 2016, 05:26 PM

That's great news! Enjoy your pup and all the fun and excitement he's bringing to you. Constant supervision during these first few months will ensure you and Ragnar succeed.

I totally agree with your vet on spay/neuter for so many reasons
Old January 19th, 2016, 07:31 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Lynne&Co awesome advice....nothing I could add to that. I did want to say I have been there and its hard having them tied to you but you have to do it until you can be sure they wont get themselves into trouble...

You will see a BIG change if you tucker Ragner out. If you cant get out for a walk you could teach him to fetch. I also found by teaching them different things their little brains get tired out and they behave so much better than with the crazy puppy brain....your off to an awesome start!!!!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 20th, 2016, 08:17 PM
Willing cat servant

Things have improved a lot these last 2 days. Getting better for sure. He's no longer fearful when he goes to sleep or comes out of the area. No more peeing accidents so far either. I even allow him off leash as long as he's always within sight and If I'm busy then te him to my waist.
Next week we'll start with the games now that he seems to start adjusting I'll just consolidate what he have achieved for the rest of the week. He loves balls so it's going to be fun and more relaxing for him too.