Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old January 19th, 2010, 12:07 AM

How common is it for cats to turn on their owners?

I've seen a change in Gizzy the last week. One day he is perfectly fine, shoves his head into your hand, screaming at me to pet him and then the next couple days he is hissing and running away from me.

Lately, he's been hiding in his sub box. Today he stayed in there most of the day. I pet him a couple times then went on about my day. About an hour ago, I was about to walk past him but I saw his claw dug into the carpeting of the box. I don't usually mind, but it looked like he was stuck, so I tried to remove it and he hisses at me! I blew in his face so I wouldn't get very mad and he did it again. I start raising my voice telling him to stop the hissing and bf comes out and asks what's going on. I explain I didn't do anything differently then what I normally do like when he claws the couch and I proceed to lift his paw off. Then bf tries to pet him to calm him down and Gizzy hisses at him too! That pissed bf off a bit. Then Gizzy got out and ran away. And when bf calmed down he was able to pick up Gizzy and talk to him calmly. He tried to get me to pet him but I didn't feel comfortable.

I've read the thread about Willy and I'm wondering if he's got a brain tumor that's causing these cujo lapses. Bf thinks he's doing what Forest does when sleeping; a nightmare of sorts where he forgets where he is and hisses, only Forest bites the bed he lays on.

He doesn't have the normal signs of having a tumor. So any insight would be great...
Old January 19th, 2010, 03:16 AM
-

Whenever a cat's behaviour changes it quite often is because of a medical issue. Hiding all day and hissing at you are two red flags imo and I would make an appt to take Gizzy to the vet for a complete examination.
Old January 19th, 2010, 04:58 AM

Not necessaraily a brain tumor either. May be something is causing him pain, and touching him made it hurt. Even if you didn't touch the exact spot making him move could have jarred something sore. Cats are known to get abcesses fairly easily with tiny cuts that can be hard to find, and he and Forest have been arguing. Maybe he got clawed somewhere, just a little, and it is now sore? A vet is still a good idea, it could be something serious and if not they can reassure you that things are all right.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old January 19th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree, he may be feeling ill and wants you to leave him alone. A visit to the vet would be a good idea.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old January 19th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Catlover2

I wouldn't jump to brain tumor right away. Hiding in his box for most of the day when he doesn't normally is a "red flag" that something's not right. He should be checked out by your vet, and maybe his spraying has some medical reason as well.

Blowing in his face for hissing only antagonized him further; most cats hate that. Raising your voice definitely won't calm a cat. I wouldn't use blowing in his face as a disciplinary measure for anything. He was upset his claw was caught. Better would have been a soothing, sympathic voice. "Aw Gizzy, got your claw caught? Here, let mommy help you" while you unhooked his claw, and ignored his hissing, then give him a pat and say "Poor baby". Claws should be clipped every 3 weeks, so this doesn't happen again.

Because Gizzy's been spraying again, and you're upset about it, he may be feeling grumpy anyway. It's sounds like he's starving for attention "shoves his head into your hand" and "screaming at me to pet him". The "pet him a couple of times and then go about my day" aren't enough for Gizzy. Are you withholding affection from him because you're angry at his spraying and now hissing? Maybe he's reacting to feeling neglected? I think you should give him good quality one-on-one time----spend at least a good 15 mins./day just playing with him, with a teaser toy, dragging a cord around for him, throwing toys for him (does he retrieve?), grooming him once a day (if he enjoys it), give him lots of petting, chin and cheek rubs and kisses and "good boys". Right now Gizzy's not a happy camper for whatever reason...yes something's changed.
Old January 19th, 2010, 03:26 PM

Thanks for all the replies!

When it was time to feed them dinner, Forest ate. But when I brought it to Gizzy he wouldn't eat, even when I set it on the floor and walked away. I had to lure him out by petting him. Then he ate and I made the signal for him to come over and he did then shoved his head in my hand again and then fell on the floor to get a belly rub. I also played with him with a teaser toy. When I throw toys for him, he plays soccer with them, but never brings it back to me, wish I knew how to teach him that.

I have been withholding affection lately because of the hissing and not knowing if a claw or bite would accompany it. And him being a cat that likes things on his own terms I figured I'd let him come on his own. The spraying has been stressing me out too, so that's probably the last thing he needs. I blew in his face cuz it calms my temper down so I don't do anything like tapping his nose. I will have to learn to walk away now. Thanks for the tip!

So I got up today and Gizzy was laying on my bf's computer chair, I pet him and he meowed. I found a bit of throw up so while I cleaned it up, Gizzy got down and ran near the cat tree. I sat down on the couch and he went into his box again and has been there ever since. Usually when bf comes home, he will immediately jump out and screamed at him to be pet and follow him around until he gives in to give him loving.

I think I will take him in to the vet, just to make sure everything is ok and see if the spraying is medically related.